“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Chengdu Gulou

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Chengdu Gulou to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Chengdu Gulou
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.72 West Daqiang Street, Qingyang District, Chengdu 610015, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 1,927 hotels in Chengdu
San Francisco, California
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

My husband, mother-in-law, and I stayed here for 3 nights in November for an overall great experience. Westerners will feel very comfortable here. The front desk speaks English and the continental breakfast offers both Chinese and Western food. Rooms are very clean, and the standard is definitely a step up from a US Holiday Inn. Highly recommended, if you're willing to spend the money beyond a backpacker budget!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
上海, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

First time be in this hotel.
Better location than HIX Wuhou, this one is near by Tianfu square. And the service is better too.
Good traffic, easy to take the taxi.
The Bed is just ok, but pillow is good.
Food tastes good and the size is big enough for me.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

This was my first time to Chengdu, and the 4th hotel I stayed during my 1 week trip. Initially I booked the Crowne Plaza Chengdu, but so many people rated 5-stars here, and it is much cheaper price, so I changed my mind and wanted to try this hotel instead. Being a Holiday Inn Express, I didn't have high expectation.

First of all, the hotel location is OK, about 15-20 min walk to Chun Xi Lu shopping area, in a back street. Now, the Crowne Plaza is directly across from Chun Xi Lu, if you want such convenience. I didn't really walk to any other place because my friend drove me so I could not comment about that. The hotel is about 3-4 years old, but for a Holiday Inn "Express", it is pretty good. Rooms are simple and lightly decorated, so that's all OK.

I didn't have breakfast because 2nd day I went to a tour so I left early in the morning. 3rd day I left for airport also early so I didn't use the breakfast. When I went to tour, I asked the front desk to pack me a to-go breakfast. They did, but it included 1-egg, 2 buns, 1 apple. That's it. The morning I left for airport, it didn't even have an egg. So the pack-breakfast was light. Also, they cannot change money in the hotel.

But why do I say the staff could be friendlier... here is why. When I checked in, there were 3 ropes, making 2 lines to the front desk counter. When I checked in, there was no body ahead of me. No one greeted me and say hello or anything; I think they were looking down on something. So I walked up to the left line. Then a girl moves to her left, and asked me to go to the right line, while I was already at the left line, at the counter, when they were all free and not checking in anyone. Because I was carry a large size luggage and I had to turn the luggage around, I was thinking, if you had greeted me when I first walked in and pointed me to the right line, I would have gone there initially. I am the customer, why couldn't you check me in at the counter where I already stood. And she didn't have a friendly smile. Then she couldn't find my reservation when I gave her my passport. Technically, my passport is "Christopher" and I usually always use "chris", so she couldn't find it. I said, yes, I have reservation.... only then she saw the reservation. I never had that in other hotels. Second episode was next morning waiting for the tour at the lobby. The tour was late, but they couldn't get hold of me cuz I didn't have a China phone and I was already at the lobby. I asked the guy if the tour usually comes in and call out for people. He says he didn't know. I was surprised that he didn't know, since the tour has an office right there and he should know how the tour usually operates. Anyways, I didn't say they had "bad" service, but my experience is not as friendly or great as some other people.

Due to price, its not a bad hotel. I would stay again because I am IHG member, but if Crowne Plaza has a good deal, I would try that. Or if your business takes you to other parts of Chengdu, I would try other hotels as well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Feltham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The location is very good, just a few minutes walk from Tian Fu Square (where the airport bus #2 drops you) and from Chun Xi Lu shopping and dining area. Also walking distance (15 mins) from the great Wen Shu monastery. The room was clean and comfortable for the most part. However, the air conditioning was a little on the weak side and there were a few small cleanliness issues, but for the large part, a good hotel room. A fridge would have been a nice touch. The main problem with the hotel is the level of service in China in general. Ice is available during limited hours only, and never at a time when we wanted a nice cold drink in our room. The level of English was not great. The food in the restaurant was good, but again, service was not good, with frequent misunderstandings and denials of requests. No glasses for drinks - I had to drink orange juice from a mug, for example. Also, at 10pm, the staff handed us a notice saying that they were going home and would we please pay now!! The internet was slow and many sites, like facebook were not available, although I know this is a common problem in China. I would stay again, but would love to see this hotel up its service as it could be a really good place, and the value for money is great.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I had a great stay at this hotel. It was brand new so everything was clean and shiny. Breakfast was extensive. The people at the tour desk don't speak English very well, so you may want to go with your guidebook and point. Also there are no spa services, but I got a great massage across the street at the International Hotel which was fabulous.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Very modern, clean, comfortable and nicely appointed hotel in a nice area of downtown Chengdu. Friendly staff all speak good English. I particlularly liked that the rooms were very light, spacious and had excellent glassed in showers. One of the best hotels I stayed in this year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

downtown location, but you must bring chinese name rather than say holiday inn (nobody knows its english name)

i ate very cheap RMB100 for 9 persons, from hotel take right & take 1st left, there are 5 local restaurants there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chengdu Gulou? Share your experiences!