“Good, clean business hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Datong City Centre

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Datong City Centre to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Datong City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.37 Yingbin Street, Cheng District, Datong 037008, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 134 hotels in Datong
Melbourne, Australia
“Good, clean business hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I'm not really a Holiday Inn kinda bloke - I really think this was the first real backpack they'd ever seen - but I was only sleeping in the bed. During the day I had a tour guide and was picked up and dropped off. The REAL reason I chose it was very close proximity to the Airport Shuttle. I came in a real late flight from Beijing and have an aversion to late night taxi drivers. This Hotel is near the drop-off point by the airport shuttle ( on my night it was the first) and is about 100ms from the front door.The Hotel is tucked in behind another hotel, but taller, so you can see the green "Holiday Inn" from inside the shuttle bus. The room was comfortable, the pool was heated (they'll sell you a swimming cap ) and the breakfast was excellent. For other meals I tend to eat from street stalls, and there were few vendors around the front. My booking was made about 4 months in advance and was real good value, and included breakfast. But then it was minus 15C outside, and kinda low season.

Room Tip: My room was at the rear, overlooking an empty carpark, and was very quiet. But I had no choice. The...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Although the name includes city centre - it was a good taxi ride to the old city. The rooms are good and spacious and the hotel is tucked in behind the Datong Hotel. The meals at the hotel are very expensive and as it is in the middle of administration offices and finance area, there was no place to eat away from the hotel unless you went into the old city and back by taxi.
None of the staff had any English, so it was a pantomime every time we wanted something. There were no maps of the area and the hotel does not have any tourist information. However, by chance we discovered that there was an office of CITS (China Tourist Information) in the Datong Hotel. The staff there did speak a bit of English which was enough to direct us to the CITS office near the railway station (a good taxi ride away) where we discovered the tourist information, including tours, that we wanted. The manager at that office speaks very good English.
The hotel charges for the use of the internet although they do provide complementary water. Room service is a real challenge and we ended up going to the front desk with the menu to order it by way of pointing to the pictures. When it finally arrived, the food was cold.
The hotel would be very good for business people as all the offices are nearby. For tourists, I suggest that you look for a hotel (there are several) in the old quarter or near the railway station which is the central area of the city with the tourist sites.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this place. The property is new and modern which is great. The first room I checked into was WONDERFUL, then someone with a hammer was literally baning on the wall next to my room all afternoon, so I requested a room switch. My new room was not as nice, and they were gross wet stains from a leak in the ceiling on the carpet. I didn't want to bother the staff to switch again (they don't speak English, so getting my room switched once was difficult as it). So I was stuck with the leaky room for my entire stay. Had I kept the first room and there were no hammers, I would have given this property four stars. But my second room was gross. Also when I arrived I had to wait at the front desk for 15 minutes ... there were three people behind the counter all "helping" the same person in front of me. The property could work on customer service. Also, no one speaks English - just ordering room service was a task (sometimes I had to walk downstairs just to point to menu items). Not my favorite stay, but there isn't much in Datong so I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here for a month due to work. The room was great but carpet only hoovered once in a month. Washing was done very fast but expensive. Hotel food and drink was expensive £2.50 per 330ml bottle plus 10 percent. 640ml bottle was 40p from shop around the corner We eat out of hotel loads because of price. Can't knock the room as it was great, massive tv. Steak house by Walmart was the best, only a taxi ride away,cost 60p, called noble steak house. Jessica was fantastic, made us very welcome. Overall not a bad hotel for the money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed in the cheapest room available and it was a really good deal for the money. The room was spacious with a great bathroom and comfortable bed. The views were not particularly good, but that didn’t matter much. Other users noted the great bathrooms, and I agree, except that the shower floor was uncomfortable. The staff spoke limited English and at times gave us wrong information, but they seemed well-meaning. I’d recommend this hotel if you are in Datong for work or pleasure.

Room Tip: The standard room with a king bed was very comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Beijing
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Even at 5 star hotels in Datong, English ability is limited. Ordering room service can be an ordeal. The do not have 24 hour room service, and it is not reliable, but if it eventually arrives, the food was good.

Be advised there are additional charges when you book this hotel. Currently 121 rmb service fee plus 56 rmb in taxes.

There is very little by way of restaurants near the hotel. Weekends are busy in summer with weddings, and the staff focusing only on that, guests are left to fend for themselves.

The room is fine, comfortable clean. There are many local temples to visit, but if you want to go on to Wutaishan, it takes some arranging. There is a bus that goes daily, but if you do not speak Chinese it will be a headache.

Room Tip: Some floors are supposed to be non-smoking, but that may not guarantee your room won't smell lik...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

The room was quiet, the bed comfortable, the hot water wet.
Dreadful restaurant offering indifferent, warm or room temperature Western or Chinese buffet food – until 21.00, well actually they were all packed up by then.
The reasonable all-inclusive price appeared to offer as much wine or beer as you wished to consume. Yes please - no problem with room temperature wine, thank you.
The only reason to be here is to visit the Hanging Monastery & the Yungang Grottos – extraordinary, worth doing, especially if you´ve seen the Longmen Grottoes, and both doable in a day.
The hotel did come into its own when we unexpectedly arrived back owing to our late night flight to Beijing being cancelled after we reached the departure lounge (?).
The last bus back to the city nearly left without us as it was full – we stood.
Nancy (xhxionghuan@163.com (recommended)), our guide earlier that day, assisted us the next day to escape by soft sleeper train.

Wi-Fi included – other hotels in the world please note!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Datong City Centre? Share your experiences!