“Dirty room and bad service” 2 of 5 stars

Zhan Qiao Prince Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.31 Taiping Road, Qingdao 266001, China   |
Ranked #30 of 1,365 Hotels in Qingdao
Hong Kong, China
“Dirty room and bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I travelled to Qingdao with a Chinese colleague in April 2012, and we had heard that this hotel should be good. We arrived rather late and the check-in was a 20 minute test of my patience. First of all staff spoke no English, at least not enough to be able to ask questions in a civilized manner. They also chraged a deposit of the double of what the room charge would be, and even if I tried to ask several times (even my Chinese colleague asked) why the deposit was so high we never got an answer. Anyway.

Room was quite dark and very cold. The week we were in Qingdao it was about 13-15 C degrees outside. The AC was only with Chinese characters, so I tried a while to find some heat, but failed. Now was about midnight and I needed some heat in the room before I could sleep so I called the reception. The night staff did however not understand what I was asking, so the conversation ended we me having booked a morning call. So I had to sleep in the cold.

In addition, the first thing I see on the already spotted and rather dirty wall-to-wall carpets was a BIG insect trampled in to the carpet next to the bed. I tried to carefully remove it, but the fluids of it had already dried in to the carpet, so it was just stuck. This was maybe only one room, but I still got a pretty dirty feeling just being there. Dirty and cold.

Breakfast. I am a great fan of Chinese food. But in the morning hot dishes are too much for me. What was left then was some small selection of salad and fruit. There is also an egg station, where the eggs are nicely prepared when you have made your order understood.

We stayed two nights, and also my colleague was rather disappointed. We will go to Qingdao again in two weeks time and she has already promised we will stay at Shangri-La this time.

The hotel is run down, my room was dirty, and service was sometimes non-existent.

Room Tip: If you really need to stay here, remember the rooms have no heating, so bring extra clothes if you c...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed in this historic hotel for a long weekend. The location is very good, right at the seafront promenade, close to the Qingdao Pier, the train station and the old city centre (this makes parking a little bit of an issue). We had a modern sea view room on the top floor, nice and clean, apart from the bathroom which was a little bit smelly. Breakfast was very typical for a Chinese hotel in this category, not bad but also nothing to write home about. Service is also ok; everything gets done, but only after you ask couple of times. Overall an ok experience, would stay again due to location an value for money. But don't expect to much.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Beijing
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

I would preface this review by explaining that I have lived in China for two years and have done a reasonable amount of travelling to a fair number of Chinese towns and cities of various sizes. Therefore I am fully aware of Chinese attitudes to noise and customer service.

So to begin with, the good points. The hotel has a great location, right opposite the Zhanqiao pier, as made famous on the Tsingtao beer label. Attractions such as the German prison (good but not great visit) and the former Governor's house (well worth a visit) in walking distance. There are plenty of restaurants nearby and a nice promenade to walk along next to the beach.

The hotel itself does indeed have a direct view across the sea. It is elegantly decorated inside and the rooms are clean and well appointed. The breakfast is a regular Chinese breakfast buffet also featuring enough western staples for those that don't enjoy duck breast, congee, dumplings, etc.

At this point, you're probably wondering why this review is only a three star. Well, sadly the hotel and our stay was let down by a fairly significant problem. At 07:45 on Sunday morning, we were awoken by an incredibly loud petrol-driver lawnmower being used directly outside our room. Far too loud for the double-glazed windows, or our continued sleep. As I say, China is home, so such an occurrence is not that rare. I did call the operator to request that this would be stopped and was assured that it would be. Sadly it continued for another 45 minutes at least. Of course then it finished and there was no longer any noisy work to be done after the more reasonable time of 08:30.

At check-out I wanted to make a complaint, to give the hotel a chance to make things a little better. Even an apology would have been an improvement on the response. From a good grasp on English, the three receptionists suddenly didn't understand the word 'complaint' or even in Chinese! And there was no manager in the hotel I could speak to. So, the only come-back I have is to offer this review. There were plenty of other hotels nearby and I would recommend taking a chance with one of these, rather than the Zhanqiao Prince, since they have proven an inability to provide either a good night's sleep (quite important for a hotel) or any degree of customer service when they make a mistake.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Germany/UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

We had a room with a sea view. It was well-sized, clean and comfortable. Internet was of course included. Shortly after arrival a bowl of fruit was delivered to the room - nice touch.
Breakfast was OK and the staff were generally friendly..
The hotel location was very good, just 5 minutes to the railway station by taxi.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

Stayed here in a seaview room for one night. Great view of the Qingdao Bay, Zhanqiao Pier and Qingdao skyline. The rooms are clean, the staff friendly and the architecture is just impressive!

Built in the 1910s, the facade of the hotel has been well-preserved and well-maintained. But sadly, just like many of Qingdao's cultural icons, the utilization and preservation of the interiors were not very well. I was expecting a more European feel to the rooms and dining areas, but instead found the usual large round tables with lazy susans that the Chinese love to use.

There are Shangri-La, Crowne Plaza and other upscale hotels in the more modern part of Qingdao City, but I like the historic feel of the Zhanqiao Prince Hotel. Our room airconditioning was a bit faulty though. But that's it. It's worth it!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

Our stay was perfectly fine - the room with twin beds was a decent size and comfortable (although around the back of the hotel without a sea view - I can only presume that the bigger/more expensive rooms have the view of the water). The facade is gorgeous and the staff were helpful - most had at least functional English.

Breakfast was also OK with a large range of western and Chinese items.

The location was excellent - just across the road from the Zhan Qiao pier and the boardwalk and not too far to walk to sights like the old Lutheran and Catholic churches and the museum in the former governor's house on the hill.

We ended up eating a couple of meals in the West Coast Coffee cafe on the top floor, which had reasonable coffee, and quite a nice ambience - sort of lounge bar in a a chalet-style attic with a view of the ocean.

The common area carpets and fittings do need a good clean at the moment, which has pulled down the score a bit. The room itself was acceptably clean, but the corridors etc do need some sprucing up.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
stiava
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

this hotel is vey nice the rooms are littlle small but the decor is good also the location is very good this my second time to stay at this hotel is good value for the money

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the room are littlle small
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Zhan Qiao Prince Hotel? Share your experiences!