I have to give it to the Shangri-La Qingdao. I've haven't seen more enthusiastic service on my travels for the longest time. The moment our limousine arrived at the hotel, a Guest Relations Officer was already waiting outside the entrance of the hotel (in the cold), ready to guide us to our room.
In-room check-in had six staff in our room (1018). One arranging the flowers, another the fruit tray (which is replenished daily), one heating and serving us Chinese tea, two bell boys arriving with our luggage and our Guest Relations Officer checking us in. Wow. The same level of attention and genuine smiles followed us throughout our entire stay.
• The heated swimming pools are very nice with loungers, lifeguard(!) and tea service. Bring your own swim cap (if you don't have one, the hotel will loan you one).
• The Spa is a must-visit. Lovely facilities and therapists (Jasmine was spectacular). Both times, we didn't have to book ahead for treatment.
• The staff and venue of our Meeting Hall (China Hall 3) exceeded all expectations. Beautiful space and exceptional, intutive service.
• Breakfast buffet spread at cafe Yum is massive. Would prefer more attention to quality than quantity though.
• Our bed was super comfortable! Just as good as Westin's Heavenly Bed, if not better. Great pillows and duvet too.
• Housekeeping is fabulous. Twice daily and very through. They replenish your bottled water daily and your in-room fresh fruits too.
• It seems that everywhere in Qingdao, there's construction going on. If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room that doesn't face the building sites.
• The hotel provides an area map. If it's a nice day, it's an easy and very pleasant 15 mins walk to Carrefour. Two long block further, you'll come to Aeon with a nice supermarket. On the way back, head home via the waterfront. On weekends, you'll see local families kite-flying and enjoying the green spaces.
• The hotel also provides a recommended list of restaurants in the city. We walked (20 mins from hotel) to the Liang You Seafood Restaurant for local Shandong cuisine. Very interesting and clean food. English isn't well understood so make sure you bring along someone that speaks the language.
Finally the piece de resistance. On my last nite at the hotel, I ordered up room service because I was nursing a cold. Sunny Ding, who delivered my soup noticed I was unwell. Next thing I knew, she was at my door again, with a hot pot of ginger tea, "to help with the cold". And it did too! Thank you Sunny for the incredible gesture! I am so touched!
If you've never been to China before (this was my first time), Qingdao is a great introduction. It's safe, clean and modern. Best of all, I didn't get hassled once. If I return to this port city, you can be sure, it will be to this Shangri-La!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us. The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La , Hotel Qingdao in the not too distant future.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.