“Hotel very good, but area not so good.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Qingdao

You added Crowne Plaza Qingdao to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Qingdao
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.76 Hongkong Middle Road, Shinan District, Qingdao 266071, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #15 of 1,362 Hotels in Qingdao
Preston, United Kingdom
“Hotel very good, but area not so good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have recently returned from a business trip to Qingdao, China, staying at the Crowne Plaza, Qingdao. The hotel was very good but the location was not very good.
When I booked the room, I reserved a deluxe suite. The room itself was ideal for a business trip, reasonably sized lounge with a desk, full internet facilities, WIFi and cable. The bedroom had a kingsize bed with plenty of cupboard space for clothes. Both rooms had a TV. The bathroom was quite large, with both a walkin shower and a separate bath.

The room was clean and tidy, and the cleaner was excellent, as she would set come back to the room when I returned from work to make sure the room was to my satisfaction.

The hotel décor was typical Crowne plaza, and could do with modernising. The hotel is not for people who do not like lifts, as I was on the 18th floor, but rooms go to the 35th floor.

When I arrived, checkin was very good, with the two people on the desk both speaking good English. The deal I had booked, was without breakfast, but on checking in, the package was upgraded to include breakfast.

There were 3 restaurants in the hotel, Café Asia, where breakfast is served, the Murano, covering both Italian and Western food, and a Japanese Restaurant.
Breakfast was comprehensive, buffet style, with both Chinese and Western foods, and was excellent value and quality. The Murano, again was both excellent value and quality with steaks being cooked to perfection.

The location of the hotel, is at a cross roads, and can be a little noisy through the night. The area adjacent to the hotel lacked any good restaurants or bars, and also shops. The only shopping area near was a rather tacky, cheap area, adjacent to the stairs for the road crossing.

A bonus, for car enthusiasts is the Bentley showroom in the hotel, where you can live the dream of owning your own expensive car.

To get from the airport to the hotel, I arranged a limousing to pick me up and take me to the hotel. The distance is about 35K, and takes about 45 minutes. This was booked in the UK prior to my departure, and was well worth the cost. On leaving the hotel, I used a local taxi, which cost 150RMB.

Room Tip: My room was 1809, which was on the rear side of the hotel. The hotel is laid out as a semi circle a...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel more than a dozen times in the last 10 years. It is my #1 choice in Qingdao. Having said that, I was shocked when on the first morning, I was getting ready for work, when I started sweating! I turned down the thermostat and went to work. The next morning, the same thing happened! I called the front desk and they told me that they turn OFF the air conditioning when the weather outside is not hot (I got the impression that this decision is not made on a daily basis, but more infrequently, perhaps weekly/monthly). I was totally shocked - a new attempt to save money!! They explained that they do recirculate the air within the hotel, instead. However, you are just getting tepid air. To their credit, they immediately suggested sending up a fan to my room. While I was very skeptical, the fan did work. The remaining days of my stay were pleasant enough and I had no problems.

On the other side, when I checked in (having booked a junior suite) they upgraded me to a full suite. Thus, on balance my stay measured up to my prior stays. The breakfasts offer the same, wide variety and I really enjoy them. They have moved the Indian breakfast food to the main area and I tried it and it was quite good. The muesli they have is A+. Also, I enjoyed the cinnamon buns. I was there for several days and did miss not having (1) fresh pineapple and (2) chocolate-covered donuts.

I will definitely stay there again. I'll just ask at check-in whether they have air conditioning at that time.

Klamath Falls, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

Short walk to the ocean, next door to a nice shopping area and many restaurants nearby. Very centrally located! The hotel gave me a free upgraded room as they were not full while I was in town. The restaurant is great but their attempt at Western breakfast was pretty weak (but I was in China...I wasn't expecting an amazing waffle or perfectly scrambled eggs). High recommended!

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2014

Just checked out of the Crowne Plaza - wow- what a treat it's been. Booked in initially because other hotel I stayed in (care not to mention) was very poor indeed therefore I picked the Crowne Plaza. The similarity of the two hotels is the price but that's where it ends. The Crowne Plaza is light years ahead in terms of cleanliness, food and staff attentiveness. The value for money (my room rate negotiated and booked by my Chinese employer) is amazing - the rooms are spacious and well equipped, the location is good for shops, harbour and nightlife but what stood out for me was the staff service: everyone from chambermaid right up to management have been fantastic, very helpful, good command of English and above all, happy and smiling. I feel quite sad - like I have left my friends behind. I have stayed in lots of hotels around the globe (many 5 stars) but this one takes top honours for service. Well done. Before I sign off I'd like to comment on the food. I chiefly used the self service restaurant because it had a good variety of western food (although I am not adverse to Chinese cuisine), especially the Indian curries and Nan breads - all freshly made on site combined with Tandoori oven! One very very small niggle (and this is true for all Chinese establishments I have visited in the past 18 months), the plates are cold and the food is warm at best. This is a cultural thing I guess as we westerners serve food hot on hot plates but this is more an observation than criticism. Just one point: the plates were actually stacked in a warming machine but the machine was turned off! Anyway - I have just instructed my assistant to book me in again for a 3 week stint in 2 weeks time - nuff said.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2014

Stayed there for 2 months in a 2 bedroom apartment during our transition move to the city. Felt like home. Best is the staff who are cheerful, polite & very helpful. The business floor food and setting are great. Food quality in the main restaurant could use some improvement. The whole hotel could be modernized a bit, the decor & furniture is outdated, same for the swimming pool & gym. The best about this hotel is the location, unparalleled access to the best Qingdao downtown has to offer. Value for money ranks among the best in Qingdao. I thank the whole staff for their great hospitality during our stay, and especially the front desk manager & the GM who have always cared for our comfort & resolved any issue we've encountered promptly & effectively.

Stayed September 2014
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

stayed for business twice in September. Found the rooms to be clean and quite.The tariff is reasonable. Foe a very good room with a view and breakfast the cost was around AUD $140 a night. Service was good. Breakfast excellent. It was close to the beach, about 8 minutes walk.
Qingdao is a pleasant city , easy to get around and with plenty of good views. I would go back to this hotel. No fuss, good service and clean rooms.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2014

I booked a standard room for 3 nights, it was clean and big. The bathroom was a little small, but passable if u are travelling alone. I asked to have a room with sea view, but they gave me city view. I didn t complain, but it was not professional.
Good breakfast, but not amazing. Croissants not very fresh and crumbly. Wonderful cappuccino!! When u are in China even in international hotels for breakfast u ll find more chinese than western food.
Nice staff, especially Vincent (F&B) who takes care of guests.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Rong V, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Qingdao, responded to this review, October 8, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Crowne Plaza Qingdao.
We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.
We look forward to hearing from you and to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Qingdao in the near future. Thank you!

Been to Crowne Plaza Qingdao? Share your experiences!