“Adequate” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Qingdao

You added Crowne Plaza Qingdao to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Qingdao
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.76 Hongkong Middle Road, Shinan District, Qingdao 266071, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #15 of 1,375 Hotels in Qingdao
Beijing, China
“Adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you're not seeking luxury you won't be disappointed. It's a bog standard chain hotel and although it might like to believe that it's a little special it's actually very run of the mill. The reception desks are a tad small so this can make checking in and out seem a little longer than it should be but the staff are generally pleasant. The lobby is quite airy and you can see through to a fancy car showroom next door - somewhat of a juxtaposition, in my opinion.

I partook of my free drinks in the Safari Lounge upstairs. This is a curious little place with an African theme that wasn't busy when I was there until a bit later on. Unfortunately, I couldn't bear to put up with loud Chinese knocking back their glasses of free water so I quickly moved on. Nice complimentary breadsticks, though.

I've been here before and used the pool. I thought it was very pleasant. Small, yes, but very nicely decorated with a sort of oasis style atmosphere about it that was pretty good at disguising the fact that it's underground. They seem to go in for these themed public rooms here.

I have to say that I found the rooms much less impressive. Whilst generally clean, they can't help but look shabby because so many of the fittings are worn or scuffed and the vanity cabinet in the bathroom suffered terribly from peeling veneers. I also found the bathroom to be cramped and the amenities are of a lower standard than many other high-end chains. TV was ok but a bit fuzzy, Wifi worked fine and the bed was comfy. Overall though, it wasn't a quiet place and I could easily hear what was going on next door when I didn't want to.

Breakfast was alright with a reasonable choice and set in a fairly nice room but I didn't feel that the western hot food looked as appetizing as the local fayre. There is a good supermarket a couple of minutes walk to the left of the hotel in a shopping centre that has hot snacks and a very good selection of imported beers for the more discerning. Personally, I've always found it hard to understand how, given its history as a German concession, Qingdao can put its name to such an innocuous brew.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Rong V, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Qingdao, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your detailed staying feedback with us. It is with regret that some of your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectation. Your comment in this respect will certainly be taken into consideration and the concerned team will definitely seek for improvement and hopes to have an early opportunity and a second chance to present to you.
We look forward to your next visit and thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Qingdao!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

It was definitely value for money. We booked the suite for our family of 4. The room was spacious and the living room and bedroom both had a big tv. The hotel is old but the bathroom was clean and well equipped. As we went in peak summer we found the aircondionting was not enough but the hotel was prompt in providing us with 2 standing fans for the 2 rooms. The pool is nice and the sauna , hot tub , and steam facilities are decent. The restaurants served Indian food too, which was a pleasant surprise for an Indian family like us. Besides the hotel is next to a mall with mac Donald's and supermarket , this made it very convenient.
The location is not close to any of the beaches, so if you are looking for the beaches it will be a disappointment. Taxis are not easily available and the traffic makes everything slow.the reception staff was ok in English , but it was a struggle to get understood on the phone. Over all it was a decent stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rong V, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Qingdao, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us in Tripadvisor..
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our Suite Room's space and TV made your stay experience more memorable. We will continue to strive in delivering quality services, allowing our guests' to indulge in the best they deserve. We are so glad you like our Indian Food and it's also the most famous in our hotel. Next time, you could also try very authentic Italian Food in Murano's just nearby.
Once again, we look forward to your next stay with us and continuous support in the near future. Thank you!

Vera
Shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed there 1 night. Price was high but only due to the "Qingdao Beer Festival". Room was rather old, even a bit worn out. Bathroom was so small that I could not even dry myself with the towel without the towel touching the toilet. I have stayed in better local 4*Hotels... Next time I will put another 20$ and stay again in the Intercontinental down the road...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rong V, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Qingdao, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for choosing our hotel and thanks for sharing your experience with us. We are sorry to know the inconvenient and noisy you have met during your stay with us. We have shared your concern to our management team see any effective way to improve our facilities.Thank you again for sharing your experience and concerns with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Frankly, you have a lot of choices for better hotel at Qingdao.it's not good one for price and service.I had really bad experience at this hotel, they just increased the price without notice. I am in business, so I try to think about where the mess is from, it may be the communication between Sales and Reservation, or maybe the process is not good and it is common issue in China.
At least, you can also stay at Holiday Inn center which is also better and they are at a same group if you are IHG member.
My company has a GBU HQ at Qingdao, I would never be in Crowne Plaza any more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rong V, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Qingdao, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us in Crowne Plaza Qingdao and sharing your insights on Tripadvisor.

It is with regret that some of your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectation. Your comment in this respect will certainly be taken into consideration and the concerned team will definitely seek for improvement and hopes to have an early opportunity and a second chance to present to you. We hope to get further connections with you, please feel free to contact our Quality & Service Improving Manager via mark.su@ihg.com.
Sincerely best wishes.

Vera
Macau, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My first time to Qingdao and it was a huge disappointment because of air pollution could not see anything (see attached photos).

The hotel is a regal old style. I had a few issues. When i booked I had booked a seaview room which included executive club access, plain as day on priority club website. When checking in I was told I could upgrade to include breakfast.- i quickly advised what i had booked ad was told it didnt include club access or breakfast!!, not happy i insisted it did, another senior front office person came and chekced on the priorty club site and then everything was sorted. Staff that are so unaware is completely frustrating. We didnt get the seaview room that was booked, just got a suite overlooking a construction site.

Its walking distance to shopping centres.

the second toilet in the suite blocked up and caused a flooding.

TAXIS AT HOTEL - this is a city hotel, anywhere is a 20minute taxi ride.
When trying to get a taxi from the hotel being told to go to the street side to find one on every occasion I did not lilke. On a couple of ocassions when I insisted they go to street side and get a taxi and bring, they did. Taxis in Qingdao are terrible, they are old run down vechiles and the manners are aslo terrible.

From hotel pickup if they dont want to go where you want, they refuse to take you, the hotel staff do nothing and allow the taxi to remain there! All other 5 star hotels I have been, seldom have i come across taxis that refuse a desintation but if they do the hotel staff tell them to move on and refuse them another ride, which is the way it should be.

my destinations were in the city. Later I learned that taxis only want to do airport runs.

Wifi here is unexceptable it drops out continually whereever you are in the property, club lounge or lobby or room.

The gym is reasonable, the pool is to small, basically for kids. Can't do laps in it.

I couldnt stay here again.

Room Tip: pick a hotel out of city! might be longer taxi rides to go to atractions but you'll find taxi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rong V, Manager at Crowne Plaza Qingdao, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Guest,Thank you very much your comment on trip advisor and the time you took for giving us your valuable and detailed feedback about your stay.First of all, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay with us. We can fully understand that your experience didn't meet your expectations and we would like to assure you that this is not the standards of service we are striving for.Please rest assured that we have communicated all your experiences with all department heads concerned for immediate actions. We would appreciate if you could grant us a second chance where we can show you what Crowne Plaza service really stands for.It is always important for us to receive constructive feedback in order to take the appropriate action and for us to improve ourselves. As a team we endeavor to make our guest’s stay with us a truly memorable and special experience to travel for success.Thank you once again for your time and we look forward to welcoming you during your next visit to Beijing. With best regards.
Nanjing, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We arrived on Friday evening, around midnight. They gave us room 1908. A few minutes after our entrance in the room the electricity went out, which means the lights, the television, the alarm clock and the air-conditioning stopped working and the room turned total dark. I called the front desk. A few minutes later someone in the hall way turned a switch.
Saturday morning I woke up sweating, and I asked myself what happened as the air-conditioning was on and everything seemed normal. The room was kind of hot, but I thought this was caused by the lack of strength of the air-conditioning itself or some twisted hotel policy, as the air-conditioning didn’t cool down the room below 25° Celsius anyway.
Sunday night I woke up at 3 a.m., again sweating, and this time the cause was clear; the electricity was out again: the room was boiling hot, and I needed the safety light to call the front desk. A few minutes later someone turned a switch and everything was normal again.
Sunday morning around 9 a.m. I woke up again, once more sweating. I called the front desk. It took them half an hour now to turn the switch. During this time I could not even open the room safe to get out my belongings.
I am not sure if the lack of electricity at night was a way to save money or a technical failure. I can only tell you the problem was already there when we checked in, and the problem was still there when we checked out two days later. They didn’t offer us another room or a price reduction.
Another problem was the lack of trust we could put upon the people that worked at the information desk.
On Saturday morning we asked how to get to the Badaguan area. They said the best way was to walk, as it was only thirty minutes. Instead of taking a cab or a bus as planned, we started walking, but half an hour later we were just halfway. (We are slim, sportive young people.)
On Sunday morning, after checking out, I asked them to get us a cab in the afternoon, at 3 p.m. When we came back at that time, there was no cab waiting for us. The door man said he was going to get us one himself, but he came back a few minutes later, telling us it was just not possible to get us a cab as all cabs were too busy. We took a crowded bus – number 304 – at the other side of the street and we arrived fifty minutes later just in time to get our train. So a happy end after all, but not due to Crowne Plaza.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Plock, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

nice hotel located close to the centrum, to the shopping center, marine and beach
even the age of the hotel is visible in room and longe the total feeling is ok
everything was perfect only breakfast was awful - theoretically it should be continental breakfast, was china indeed
the photos of the hotel avalible at the internet site are incorrect because hotel is surronded by other tall, high buildings
at the end of the day it is good hotel for the business trip

Room Tip: avoid rooms from the construction side because working day starts at 5 am and windows are not so aco...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we are pleased to know that you appreciated the location of our hotel, an aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests. We are sorry that our breakfast cannot satisfy you. We’ll share with our F&B team and enrich the kinds and improve the quality of the breakfast. As you know, Qingdao is developing day by day, we may choose a perfect weather to snap another photo instead of this. Thank you again for your kind comments will encourage us to keep providing the best service to our guests. We look forward to welcome you again soon.

Been to Crowne Plaza Qingdao? Share your experiences!