“Typically Superb Crown Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Qingdao

You added Crowne Plaza Qingdao to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Qingdao
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.76 Hongkong Middle Road, Shinan District, Qingdao 266071, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #15 of 1,362 Hotels in Qingdao
Yantai
“Typically Superb Crown Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The rooms and buffet area are virtually spotless with a good variety of choices on the menu. As for location, it is in the heart of the best eating areas and a scenic ocean background. If you're into German colonial history, it's about a 20 RMB taxi ride or a cheap, though crowded no. 316 bus ride away. The non-smoking floors are a wonderful idea and hopefully, this unhealthy habit will be strictly monitored by the staff. I think that wooden floors would give the room a fresher, cleaner aroma than the carpet, but as usual, it was cleaned to perfection. The hotel may be a little aged, but the fabulous staff more than make up for any minor shortcomings. Some discount deals may make this hotel more appealing with some keen competition arising from other hotels nearby.

Room Tip: Check out the room before you pay for it. As for every hotel, make sure there are no smoking smells...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This hotel is again an older locally built hotel. This means the reception area is very strangely arranged. The rooms are on the small side, with very old and worn looking furniture, rubbish prints on the walls. They should just throw these away. The bathroom is one of the smallest I have ever experienced. Terribly limited space and badly arranged. The TV is also rather out of date, could be updated. Clealr needs a good uprade. The breakfast area, is again very haphazardly organised with lots of steps, which are totally unnecessary and actually dangerous. But the worst is that this hotel run by an American company allows Sharks Fin to be offered. Maybe like me you are concerned that Sharks Fin is being served here. Make sure you know how they harvest shark's fin!

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger bathroom, as the normal ones are tiny!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I was pleased with the overall experience at the Crowne Plaza. The service was excellent and the staff made us feel at home. The hotel is a bit dated but the rooms are very clean, which is most important to me. They have a few restaurants in the hotel which was nice so that we didn’t have to go wandering around the city trying to find somewhere to eat. There is a gym but the equipment is very old. Also the internet connection was poor in my room. Overall though, I was pleased with the hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have been in some good hotels in Qingdao like Meridien and Holiday inn but the hotel location is brilliant. The hotel is renovated and has a very beautiful lobby. I had booked a standard room but since I was a gold priority club member they upgraded me to a suite freely. I can not judge the whole hotel rooms but the suite was very nice and large. The internet quality was excellent. I was in 19th floor and I did note feel any smoke smelling there. I was a little sick during my stay in hotel and I found there was a clinic in the hotel. However, the doctor there could not speak English. We tried two-three layer of translation to convey my sickness details to the doctor. However I received calls from the hotel manager to find if I was better or night. There is a good Italian restaurant in the second floor called Murano and is good choice if you are tired of Chinese food however it is a little pricey. Nearby there are shopping centers like JUSCO and the hotel is not far from the beach. The hotel location is great. If you are going for a massage like foot massage , there are massage parlors 200 meters from the hotel in one third price they offer in the hotel. I did not check the pool but I saw it, it looked great. The breakfast was in good level too many choices. I will certainly go back to this hotel if the price would be good.

Room Tip: The hotel address in Chinese you can print it giving it to the driver. The taxi fare from airport is...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Beijing
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Rooms are spacious and good views of the city. Location is the best and it is great for shopping or going down to the sea jetty for a walk. Good buffets at the Coffee shop. Great antique reproduction clocks in the Lobby showcases for sale - a must buy. Staff are friendly and service not bad.

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking and high floor room for great views
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Just got back from Qingdao. We had 5 nights at the Crowne Plaza and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I have stayed there before but this was a few years ago. This time, thanks to my Priority Club membership, I got a nice upgrade to a really super room which was very well received by my wife. The breakfast service I can only say is satisfactory for me as a 'westerner' but I know my Chinese friends really like breakfast here.
I would certainly recommend this hotel, sure it is ageing a little now but still very comfortable and friendly. The location is good, 120 minutes walk to the sea front and next door to Jusco shopping mall.
I will go back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We had spent 2 weeks at the hotels in China before we came to Qingdao, and understood it was very important to ask for a "no smoking room in the no smoking floor". So I wrote specificly in my booking, so we got a room in the no smoking floor.

But the room smells of cigarette. In fact, the whole corridor smells of cigarette! I did complain this time and was offer to see two other rooms, but all the same. So we decided to stay at our first room and let the window wide open. Have to say the staff are very nice, and there is not much they can do, as they said. How the other hotels managed this problem?

The funny thing is that there are ashtray in many places at this No smoking floor. I would strongly suggest that the hotel install smoke detect here instead of ashtray!

However, if you do not mind of the smell, this hotel has some good things to be said:
The location is good. No problem to get a taxi from or to the hotel. Sometimes the taxi driver overcharges a bit, but the price ( usually around 30 to 40 yun) is very cheap anyway, so we did not bother. We walked to the Food Street Yunxiao Lu many times. There are two big mall (maybe more) closeby, and they also have food court. Very cheap and decent food in fact.

We spent one week at this hotel. Thankfully, it was not very warm so we did not need to use AC, and could keep our window open day and night......

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rong V, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Qingdao, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear JennySB,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay at our hotel during your recent visit to Qingdao.
Firstly, we appreciate your constructive feedback and would like to extend our apologies for your discomfort with the non-smokeing floor.Our team will firmly dedicate to correcting our shortcomings and to seek for improvements. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the living shortfalls experienced during your last stay, we certainly take all of your comments very seriously and it will help us to improve. We will centainly share your compliments with the team and they are truly grateful for the time you have taken to recognize their efforts!

We are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel in the not-too-distant future.

Been to Crowne Plaza Qingdao? Share your experiences!