“Great Experience! and value for money....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Qingdao City Center

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Qingdao City Center to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Qingdao City Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Xuzhou Road, Shinan District, Qingdao 266071, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 1,252 hotels in Qingdao
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
“Great Experience! and value for money....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

It was a short business trip and when you stay in Holiday Inn you expect the normal western fare...the staff where great the food was amazing and its so close to where the night life in Qingdao is (12 rmb by taxi!!!).

I was amazed at the way they treat their guest and they make sure that all your needs are taken care of. Langauge was never barrier and i had a wonderfull time. This place is highly recommended for both a short and long stay!

Room Tip: Rooms at the higher floors are better because of a great view into the city!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnQingdao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Qingdao City Center, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear shammu_b,

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Qingdao City Centre and taking your precious time to share with us your experience during your recent stay.

I am very glad to know that you experienced a great stay in our hotel; also I’m much appreciated for your highly compliments to our hotel. Our hotel has opened for two years, with its great location in downtown (surrounded by Olympic Sailing Centre, May Forth Square, shopping mall, city hall and Carrefour) it became the best choice for both business and leisure travelers in Qingdao.

Again, thanks for your comment and recommendation. Look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Qingdao City Centre and hope to be able to serve you better at here.

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I was stayed here during a business trip -- I should have stayed at Crowne Plaza instead of this Holiday Inn - I really want to like this place but luck is just not with me during my stay. I think the 3-star rating here is being generous...

Cons:
1) inconsistent policy about Lounge access upgrade for Platinum members - at check in, i was told they closed the lounge few months back, so i couldn't have access. when I realized the lounge was in fact in operation, i called the front desk but was then told they didn't give free upgrades to Platinum members. when I pushed the issue, they said i needed to pay certain room rate before upgrade can occur. they further tried to work me into a higher room rate before i was given access to the lounge. The staff must really think I was born yesterday.

2) not much love for Platinum member - I booked a superior room and got a superior room, exactly as pictured on the website - i didn't see any upgrade. The only thing of "upgrade" i was given was a single welcome drink coupon.

3) beautiful Lounge but crappy food - I don't know how other reviewers said that Lounge food was good, it's anything but that. I think because of unclear upgrade policy, there are hardly any visitors to the lounge, such that they really try to cutback on cost by limit the food items. There are 4-5 trays of hot items (for both breakfast and happy hours). Most of trays are sparingly covered with just a few pieces of food that are dry from being left there too long or re-heated as leftover from previous service. Pastries are all soggy - even the the butter-laced items are not crispy or fresh. They do have a good collection of alcohols but the wine was stale - i was pouring from the same bottle of red wine through my 3 visits! A taste of the white wine clearly tasted very stale.

4) the hotel is infested with bugs and flies - i killed over 2 dozens gnat-looking flies during the first night. they were in the sleeping area as well as the bathroom. I called the front desk and they quickly said it's normal because of the humidity attracts a lot of bugs and flies, and I was moved me to a nearby room. The move wasted a good hour as I was already unpacked. The second room was better but I still managed to kill 6 bugs over the next couple of days. I parked myself at the Lounge to catch up emails for a couple of hours and left with 8 mosquito bite marks on my left ankle. As such, i know the bug issue is scattered at different locations of this hotel.

5) poor ventilation - my nonsmoking room reek of smoke on my last night. I freaked out and thought some caught on fire...but no. They sent housekeeping to "freshen" the room - but the housekeeping lady came and open the windows and left. she said people from a different floor is smoking, and the smoke travels :(

6) the gym is not propely AC'ed - this is the first hotel in my entire travel experience that I couldn't finish my 20 minute brisk walk on the threadmill. I was sweating so much that I literally soaked the sweat-resistant gym shirt.

Pluses:
1) Great location! This hotel is in walking distance to the water front / beach hence the "city centre" name. You can do a decent tour by foot to some imporant landmarks. it's close many food and shopping options. Lastly, it's across the street to the "Civil Air Transport Building", which is the stop for Airport Express Line 1, both from the airport and to the airport. A 20RMB ride takes you very close to the hotel from the airport.

2) Lounge staff was nice and polite - even though the food sucked, the staff was polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Suites is illogically laid out - if you are in a party of 1-2 persons, a standard superior room has...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnQingdao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Qingdao City Center, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear knowmyhotels,

Thanks for your staying at Holiday Inn Qingdao City Centre and taking your precious time to share with us your experience during your stay at our hotel.

Firstly, I would like to extend my sincere apology that we were not able to accomplish your expectations in various aspects during your stay. I’ve shared your detailed review with my team and made note of the particular areas you felt we have room to improve. Please allow me not go through the details which were not the standard you come to expect. We will address those issues and improve our service accordingly.

Secondly, I appreciate your compliments to lounge staff, which will definitely motivate them to serve our guests better in future.

I know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Qingdao City Centre for your future travel needs. Please contact me via eddy.li@ihg.com once you plan your next trip and I will personally make sure you have a nice stay with us.

Again, thank you very much for your detailed feedback and looking forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Qingdao City Centre soon.

Best regards

NB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a great place to stay. I was a little bit weary as I am from North America and holiday inns, while okay to stay at, are rarely placed so high on traveler reviews. This was an exception. Very clean, a fair amount of amenities, and despite the area having very little western influence, I had no trouble communicating my needs in English. It was a great time, and a good quality/price ratio. It is located, as it is described, in the city center and near all the major amenities or a short bus ride away. This was a great stay..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
HolidayInnQingdao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Qingdao City Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Project86,

I am very glad to know that you experienced a great stay in our hotel; also I’m much appreciated for your highly compliments to our hotel. Our hotel has opened for two years, with its great location in downtown (surrounded by Olympic Sailing Centre, May 4 Square, shopping mall, city hall and Carrefour) it will become the best choice for both business and leisure travelers in Qingdao.

Being our valued guest, your opinion and feedback is extremely important to us, as it will help us to further enhance and shape our service in delivering a truly memorable and authentic experience to our guests.

Again, thanks for your comment and recommendation. Look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Qingdao City Centre soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Australian couple first time visiting Qingdao, upgraded and stayed 3 nights on the club floor. Picked this hotel for it's central location near the water and many places of interest. The staff on the club executive lounge provided excellent services, very helpful and full of smiles. I highly recommend Iris and Cathy for making us feel at home. Especially good to my partner who was unwell, stay in and made full use of the lounge. The club room is very clean, well maintained and is good value and we recommended for business or holiday. No problem communicating as most staff speaks reasonable English. 2 inhouse restaurants are not managed by the hotel and so the food is limited but there are many good restaurants in the surrounding streets and a shopping center next door. It's unfortunate the hotel views are blocked by nearby tall buildings. All good, will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade to a club floor room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnQingdao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Qingdao City Center, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear balekkampong,

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Qingdao City Centre and taking your precious time to post your comments.

I appreciate your compliments to Club Lounge team, especially Iris and Cathy. I will personal pass your compliments to them, which will definitely motivate them and the whole team members to serve our guests better in future. In addition, the restaurant of Ocean Cafe on the 1st floor is managed by hotel and the Chinese restaurant is managed by the 3rd party. I’ll share your comment on food variety to our Director of Food and Beverage to take action accordingly, in order to meet you and other guests’ expectations upon your next visit.

Best Regards,

Langkawi, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

First time Australia visitors to Qingdao.We stay in club room 3 nights.Executive Lounge staff are very polite and helpful.In particular credit goes to Iris and Cathy.Both of them take time to explain and communicate with my poor Mandarin.Make me feel very much at home.Will stay here again on my next visit.Recommend visitors to try the club rooms.

Room Tip: Try the club room but note limited view due to surrounding buildings.
Dear Wkc322,

I am very glad to know that you were satisfied with our hotel service and facilities! Thanks for your highly compliments to Club Lounge team, especially Iris and Cathy. I will pass your comment to them, which will definitely motivate the whole team members to serve our guests better in future. We aim to deliver a truly “Stay Real Be You” service to our guests, which will make you relax and feel like home.

Best Regards,

Kent,Enland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three weeks during July and August,two weeks on my own and one week with my partner.

My son negotiated a good rate for me which included an Executive room,access to the Executive lounge and various other benefits.

The room and bathroom were very large,and well equiped with everything I needed,housekeeping staff were good but had to be asked to dust everywhere and hoover properly,but perhaps I am too fussy!

The breakfast in the Executive Lounge was good with plenty of fresh fruit,pastries etc but the western cooked options could be improved.

We had the buffet dinner in the Ocean Cafe which we thought was OK for the price.

I enjoyed using the pool most days but it could get very crowded and other guests seemed to have no thought for those who wanted to swim lengths.Parents did not tell children to move aside which is the norm in the UK but perhaps not in China.

Staff at the hotel were excellent and particually helpful whilst I was on my own,especially those in the Executive Lounge,Lobby and Concierge desk. I must mention Francis the Chief Concierge who assisted me on several occasions.

One problem the hotel needs to address is the length of time it takes to get a taxi,a number of times staff tried to get taxi's for us but we had to wait a very long time for a taxi to arrive.

The hotel is well situated in Qingdao within walking distance of July 4th Square and the Olympic Waterfront area,it is also next to Carrefour.

This hotel is comfortable,a lot more central than many other Qingdao hotels and certainly a good option when staying in this city. I shall certainly consider staying at the Holiday Inn when I next visit my family.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnQingdao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Qingdao City Center, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear joandgr,

I’m glad to know you experienced a comfortable stay in our hotel for three weeks and I appreciate your compliments to our staff, especially to Francis, which will motivate him and other team members to serve our guests better in future.

In addition, I’ve made note of the particular areas that you felt we have room to improve, especially on length of time to get a taxi, and improvement of western food cooking at Club Lounge. I’ve shared your comments with my management team to follow up and take correction immediately to meet you and other guests’ expectations.

Again, thank you for your feedback and looking forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Qingdao City Centre soon.

Best regards

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights on a business trip to this wonderful, modern city. The hotel has all modern facilities. Front desk staff, restaurant staff and housekeeping staff are all very friendly and helpful and also speak English adequately. The rooms are spacious, clean and has everything you would expect from a quality Holiday Inn. There is free wi-fi in lobby as well as rooms. The signal in our room was however very weak and would not let us browse quickly. The hotel staff tried to help by installing a router in the room but that did not help. The breakfast is excellent with a lavish spread of Western and Chinese options. The breakfast is however overpriced by Chinese standards (over RMB 100). There is a Carrefour supermarket next door to stock up on any essentials.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnQingdao, General Manager at Holiday Inn Qingdao City Center, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear MRPMumbai,

Firstly, thanks for your compliments to hotel facilities and service. I’ve taken note of the particular areas that we still have room to improve, especially on in-room wi-fi signal improvement and breakfast. I’ve shared your comment with hotel management team to follow up and take action accordingly, in order to meet you and other guests’ expectations in future.

Again, thanks for your comment and looking forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Qingdao City Centre soon.

Holiday Inn Qingdao City Centre

Been to Holiday Inn Qingdao City Center? Share your experiences!