“Smoking is tolerated, very unhealthy” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 1,006 Hotels in Shenyang
Melbourne, Australia
“Smoking is tolerated, very unhealthy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I did not stay at this hotel, however, I was one of the paying guests who used their swimming facility. I have stayed at Crowne Plaza before at other international cities for work, all very good stay and service, unfortunately this Crowne Plaza in Shenyang, China was very disappointing. As soon as I walked in the reception of the swimming facility, there were cigarette smoke odour everywhere although they had clearly written a no smoking sign in front. I used the swimming pool, the male toilet was just close to the pool and as I walked past it, there was this heavy cigarette smoke odour coming from that toilet. So while I was swimming, I could inhale the cigarette smoke. It was very unhealthy to stay there. I had high expectations of Crowne plaza as I used to stay there for work often and that they have a very strict non-smoking policy internationally. However it's sad to know that here in China they tolerate smoking. Very low standard.

• Stayed October 2013
Beat W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Reputable Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience during your recent visit to the Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview, your opinion and feedback is extremely important to us, as it will help us to further enhance and shape our service in delivering a truly memorable and authentic experience to our customers.

I do apologize that we were not able to accomplish your expectation of service and product this time at our Pool and I have made note of your comments on the no smoking part and have seriously addressed this issue with my team to strictly enforce such rules in future.

I know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose the Pool Services at our Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview for your future travel to Shenyang and I look forward to welcome you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me any time if I can be of assistance to you for your next stay in Shenyang.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Delta BC Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I recently spent three nights here -my third stay. I had read the negative reports on Trip Advisor before confirming my reservation, but the Manager's responses seemed to indicate things would now be right. How wrong can you be?

On arrival, our car pulled up outside. The uniformed staff there did not move -not to open the doors, not to retrieve the bags -they just looked! I watched them throughout my stay -this was their modus operandi.

I went to check in: little English spoken. I checked several times whether I had been given the right sort of room. I had not. Back again. This time it was right and I was told I should have breakfast etc. in the Executive Lounge. This was closed throughout my stay.

Next day, I needed to use the business centre. Very clear signage in the elevators indicated that it was on the third floor. I went there and wondered around. There was no sign to the business centre and, indeed, no business centre. I asked at the desk -they told me it had been moved to the fifth floor. I went there. The business centre was in the Executive Lounge -and, therefore closed!

I went to the desk to speak to the Guest Relations Manager -Green was her name. She spoke English well. I gave her my observations -why no warning at the desk? why no corrected signage? why were guests been sent on these wild goose chases? Green listened and sympathized. She had read Trip Advisor and said it did not paint a good picture of the hotel. Where is the Manager who writes all these replies to customer complaints? He is coming back from Dalian and will call you when he gets here. I was there for about 36 hours after this conversation -the longest time it has ever taken me to make that journey is 6 hours -and that was by train in a snowstorm.
As I was about to leave, I saw Green again. Still no notice about business centre change and Exec Lounge closure. We can't do that, said she. It's the PR departments job.
I was not sorry to leave.

The fact is that the staff are not appropriately trained, the clients' needs are not paramount, and the necessary improvements, though promised, have not been made.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Beat W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

I do apologize that we were not able to accomplish your expectation of service and product this time and I have made note of the particular areas you felt that we have room to improve and have addressed them all with my team.

I know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview for your future travel needs and I look forward to welcome you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally any time if I can be of assistance to you for your next stay in Shenyang.
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The concierge desk was extremely helpful, and the shower was very nice. Other than that, the hotel was very average. The location is a bit bad, being close to nothing except the park that contains the mausoleum of the second Qing emperor (which is amazing, by the way!) For decent food, the palace museum, the consulates, etc, it's too far away.

We ate at the Japanese restaraunt the first night. The food was okay, but not for the money (for their prices, I expect them to speak Japanese, and have a more Japanese menu). I was shocked when they didn't know Japanese food words as basic as "edamame," and that they spoke better English (little) than Japanese (none).

The breakfast and the dinner at the hotel buffet are both decent, and there aren't a lot of options elsewhere in the neighborhood. There is a good restaraunt in a black building across the street and down a block, but the English spoken there is precisely zero. Also, there's a shopping mall down the street a block that contains a starbucks and a grocery store, both of which were welcome!

The concierge was able to arrange a day trip to dandong (major crossing point into DPRK) by private car (minivan, actually, but very nice) for 2500 RMB after first offering the hotel's Audi for 4000 RMB. Honestly, it takes a full day, so the Audi might be worth the extra 1500 RMB if the driver speaks English!

Both in Shenyang and in Dandong, we ate at North Korean restaurants, complete with stage shows and gorgeous DPRK (hand-picked, naturally, to put a nice face on the country) waitresses. The food and prices in Dandong were much better, but if you can't make it down there, don't miss the Shenyang offering.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Beat W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview. Your opinion and feedback is extremely important to us, as it will help us to further enhance and shape our service in delivering a truly memorable and authentic experience to our customers.

I appreciate and have noted your suggestion, where we have room to engage in further strengthening our product and service. Meanwhile I look forward to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview soon.
Woodend, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I was in Shenyang on a work trip and The Crowne Plaza Parkview is where we are put on these trips. It is overall a very nice hotel. The rooms are well appointed, the restaurants are good and the bar has a happy hour every night. It is conveniently located to Bei Ling Park, which is beautiful and well worth a visit. All of this is let down because the whole hotel has a constant stench of smoke. If you are a smoker this may not bother you but I couldn't stand it. What makes it worse is that rather than asking customers to stop smoking in the areas that are clearly marked as "non-smoking", they hand customers ashtrays! Unbelievable!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Beat W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Mr. Winchester,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience during your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview. Being our valued guest, your opinion and feedback is extremely important to us, as it will help us to further enhance and shape our service in delivering a truly memorable and authentic experience to our customers. I appreciate and have noted your suggestion, were we have room to engage in further strengthening our product and service, especially your comments on the smoking part. Meanwhile I look forward to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me any time if I can be of assistance to you for your next stay in Shenyang.
Changchun, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview is my preferred hotel when coming to Shenyang. Nicely located close to Beiling Park, the hotel is convenient, yet strategically located to avoid traffic and the hustle and bustle of downtown Shenyang. The metro station in walking distance ensures quick access to the city center.
Biggest plus of the hotel is its fabolous staff and management. Caring, friendly and extremly eager to please. From check-in to the outstanding club lounge, every staff are doing their utmost best.
Standard rooms can be a little bit on the small side. Yet the deluxe rooms are spacious and well-furnished.
The Japanese restaurant, an Izakaya with Teppanyaki, is, in my opinion, some of the best in Dongbei.

A cordial welcome to IHG Platinum Royal Ambassadors is always appreciated - and always delivered at this property.

Room Tip: Chose deluxe rooms or junior suites.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Beat W, Manager at Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest: It is heartening to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us on your return to Shenyang and I would like to thank you for your continuous loyalty! I am also delighted to hear that you were taken well care by my staff and I will be pleased to let them know. Should we be able to assist you in any way for your next stay here, please feel free to let us know and it would be our pleasure to take care of your requirements. Again many thanks for your comments and we all look forward to your return visit!
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed one night last week, Nice hotel everything as it should be, Had lunch in the Japanese resturant and it was very very good. The rooms were clean and well set out. Just need to sort out the wifi thing to be in line with other hotels in this range. The evening buffet in the club room was excellent with great helpful freiendly staff. I will stay again for sure when I am back in Shenyang. Good stay !!

Room Tip: Try the Japanese restuarant
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Beat W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Geoff, Many thanks for taking the time to write some lines about your experience during your last stay with us. It is gratifying to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will certainly let my staff know about it. In regards to the WiFi issue, although we do not have WiFi access in our guest rooms, we do have some routers available at the front desk for your information. Otherwise, you are welcome to join one of our public areas to access in at no cost. We all look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again!
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

The room is big and nice, the bed is comfortable. The breakfast is good. The hotel overall service is OK, not excellent.
For only one night staying, I realized the reading lamp is not good. When I turned it on, the whole room's electricity was gone. I had to call the maintenace people to repair it. Please image, around 10 pm, I wear my pajama, a repair man entered the dark room with the flash to fix the lamp. Very unique experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Beat W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Guest, Thanks for your comments and I am glad to hear that, in general, you enjoyed your stay with us. We have taken well note on your reading light comments and have already taken steps to ensure we improve in this area. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again on your next trip to Shenyang and thank you again for your constructive comment.

Been to Crowne Plaza Shenyang Parkview? Share your experiences!