“Super Start to week” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Youngor Central Hotel

Save Saved
You added Youngor Central Hotel to your Saves list
Youngor Central Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.63 Gongxiang Alley, Guanqian Street, Suzhou 215000, China   |
Ranked #30 of 950 hotels in Suzhou
Cambridgeshire UK
“Super Start to week”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

I did not know I was staying here as it was booked by the local factory. I asked for a central location and they told me I was booked into a different hotel, so when we pulled up I was a little confused. As a result I had not read or are influenced by existing reviews.

Check in superb, everyone happy, everyone smiling - not always the case in China if you follow my trip. English a bit poor but then I am in a foreign country, you cannot expect it spot on all the time so you live with it and a lot of hand gesturing. Hotel has plenty of rooms as its pretty chilly in February so not many tourists so given immediate upgrade.

Two negatives, the hotel is situated on a semi-pedistrian crossroads and the traffic police stand on the corner blowing the whistle endlessly. I was above reception and across the road is a purple fronted shop which plays loud dance music. I had arrived in Suzhou at 13.00 having flown into Pudong and hired a driver, I was pretty tired but stood no chance with the noise.

Maid arrived at door with complimentary snacks and fruit, they appeared to be making an effort and considering I was to pay about £ 40 for the night, it was appreciated.

Ventured out around 16.00 and looked around the hotel. Tidy health centre, restaurent looked ok (didn't eat there) and there was a lobby bar and coffee shop.

Hotel looked dirty from inside looking out but was very clean inside. The windows on the outside were filthy but with amount of construction going on locally and looking at the cars you would assume it to be waste of time cleaning them. The debris on the roofs across the road a little off putting but at was not food or perishable waste seen in other cities around the world, just bricks, timber and plastic bags which had blown up there.

Went in Lobby Bar for late drink and the barman struggled with english so much that he thought I had come in for a sit down and no drink ! - I did not immediatley realize until it was obvious no drink was coming, so I went over to the chiller and picked my own out, the barman was really embarressed but it is not a negative point it made me smile.

Check out really easy but no itemized invoice, just a Suzhou General Invoice for Service. Stood waiting for my driver for fifteen minutes and the bell boys kept me amused with their attempts to hold discussion.

Great location, right in the hub of suzhou, a very lively city. Not sure its for tourists at the current time due to the whole city undergoing re-development but for business travellers who are unlikely to be entertained by clients / suppliers the location is fantastic if you have no desire to stay in your hotel. The music over the road quitens down at abour 22.00 but the police man is on duty from about 7.00 so no lie in.

Not sure what rating you could give it for class. Probably 5 for effort and staff, but maybe no more than a 3 star for furnishings etc but good enough for me.

Free internet

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

The price is very reasonable for the location. Location is superb - absolute downtown and very close to many eateries and shops. Just a road away from the pedestrianised Guan Gian Street. Most shops were still open and the atmosphere was still lively at about 9:30pm on a weekday night.

The lobby was nice and looked quite grand. Good reception staff who was pleasant and efficient. They were able to speak basic English to get by. There was a good foot massage centre adjoining the hotel offering massages at very reasonable price. For 88rmb, you get about 80mins of shoulder and back massage as well as leg/foot massage.

However, the hotel rooms must have degenerated since the last review at Tripadvisor, which was about 2 years ago. Bed were quite comfortable, but the pillow had a smell. The carpet, wallpaper and padded chairs have seen better days. What really bothered me was the musty feel and smell of the room, and together with the dim lighting, it was rather depressing.

Wifi was not great. Wired internet was good, and free (cable was provided, but bring your own laptop). Although there was a sign that said that wired internet was chargeable, I called up reception and was told that it was free. Indeed, when I checked out, I was not charged for the time used.

I would say this hotel is ok for a one-night sleep-and-run stay but I do not recommend it for an extended stay. The musty smell really gets you.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

great location, spacious room and amenities/items. they even provide free paper bag. loved the lighting. Free internet in the room too!

HUGE and very comfy bed! (my room is on the highest floor). a little noisy outside until late night with traffic and crowd's noise. good service.

buffet breakfast is OK, nothing to shout about.

A 4 star hotel that feels like a 5 star. Great experience.

• Liked — location, free internet, cosy bed
  • Disliked — noisy until late at night
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

Our Chinese travel agent booked us three nights at the Youngor Central Hotel. This was a winner. The location is good, on a busy shopping street. The room was stylish, comfortable and pretty quiet (except for a loudspeaker from a nearby store, which wasn’t too bad). Most importantly, the bed was soft and we slept well. There was a great foot massage place on the first floor – a foot massage came with tea, oranges and a back rub. The breakfast is a huge and filling buffet. The lobby was spotless. The concierge, very hospitable and attentive to our needs, arranged a taxi to take us to Tongli for a reasonable rate. My one complaint: we had to pay extra to use the gym, billiard tables and card rooms.

• Stayed February 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

Run by a local Chinese company which started by selling Polo Tees, this hotel was surprisingly good despite being a small outfit. The facilities are within its class, i.e. business centre, small and neat lobby and a number of eateries. But no swimming pool, big conference hall or a grand lobby.

I especially like the room which I stayed in. It was of a generous size, despite the hotel being smacked in central Suzhou. The bathroom is somewhat small compared to a room of this size, but they were adequate. However, you don't find the usual luxuries such as cotton buds and pads, free coffee sackets and countless international TV channels in the room. Not that much of an issue to me, just that for somebody who's stayed in 5-star outfits for business, it needs some getting used to.

The most fantastic thing about this hotel is its location. Shopping for local delicacies and souvenirs around the hotel and at (very) nearby Guanqian Road (the main thoroughfare in Suzhou) is very easy and convenient. I seldom go to Suzhou on business, and this time round, it was a short 12 hour stay. So being right in the centre of the action really helps.

When in Suzhou, you may wish to see the silk factory and buy some famed and beautiful Suzhou brocades. There are some shops near the hotel for this, but I'm not so sure if they are of the best quality. Price-wise, definitely tourist price, so please bargain hard.

All in all, a very pleasant stay and I slept relatively well in this hotel. Try it if you aren't too fussy and adamant in staying in the likes of a Grand Hyatt or a Four Seasons.

• Liked — Great small boutique-style hotel
  • Disliked — NIL
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

While planning my trip to Suzhou early this month (oct 2007), I realise that there are not many hotels within my budget of about US$55 / night, and which is near town. I was prepared to raise my budget when I stumbled on a hotel booking website that list 2 hotels with the same picture but with different prices.

The first hotel - Youngor Central Hotel is beyond my budget. However, the hotel below it shows the same hotel exterior but with a lower price. The english name for the 2nd hotel is 'Elegance Comfort Humanity Hotel' and is much cheaper. I almost dismissed it until I clicked on it and found that this hotel has the same parent company as Youngor Central Hotel, and is located near to Guan Qian Lane, THE shopping lane of Suzhou.

The hotel pictures looks quite nice and I decided to give it a try. For the price that I am paying, I must say that the hotel exceeded my expectations. The service staff is the friendliest I encountered in China in this price bracket. Rooms are clean and spacious. The only problem we encountered is that the room had a stale cigarette smell but was rectified by the housekeeping staff when they took the aircon filter out to clean.

Overall, quite satisfied.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Not much really
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Youngor Central Hotel? Share your experiences!