“Pleasant 4 night stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Modena Jinjihu Suzhou

You added Modena Jinjihu Suzhou to your Saves list
Modena Jinjihu Suzhou
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.8 Jiarui Lane, Suzhou Industrial Park | Suzhou Industrial Park, Suzhou 215028, China   |
Ranked #8 of 1,021 Hotels in Suzhou
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, Canada
“Pleasant 4 night stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I chose this hotel for its location close to the Suzhou conference and expo centre, about a 10 minute walk away. It is also on the subway line for access to other areas of the city and close to a nearby shopping area with restaurants, etc.

I was looking for an alternative to the standard hotel options. The hotel is very modern, clean and has great service. Many of the staff speak reasonably good english and communication was never an issue. With a living area, bedroom and kitchen there was lots of room and the price was very good, including an excellent breakfast.

The only real challenge was figuring out the electronic thermostat which was all chinese, plus figuring out how to get there from Shanghai late at night after buses and trains stopped running. I would most definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: They offer both smoking and non-smoking rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Over all, i have to say that i have made a great choice of being stay here. It is my first visit to suzhou. I deeply fall in love with the city and i am happy to chose a great serviced apartment. Nice place for a long term stay. Unfortunately i can only stay in Suzhou for 1 day. i will be here next time in suzhou. Good location with good entertainment places. The clubhouse is on 4F, not too big but human oriented design. The breakfast is simple but great. I can get a fine view of the half city. It only takes me 2 minutes to check in and 1 minutes to check out.
The only shortcomings i understand is that the logo of the apt is not remarkble. It takes me lots time to find this place.

Room Tip: 10F above would be a great choice
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sylvester F, General Manager at Modena Jinjihu Suzhou, responded to this review, October 18, 2012

Greetings from Modena Jinjihu Suzhou!

Thank you for taking your precious time to share your experience in Modena with us! We are glad to know that you have made a great decision in choosing our apartment as your preferred accommodation in Suzhou.

We regret to learn that you find it difficult to locate our apartment. We are in the process of installing a more prominent logo and putting more directional signages

We apologize for the inconvenience caused!

We look forward to your next visit soon!

Sylvester Fong
BNE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Nice hotel in the new district of Suzhou. Clean, tidy, serviceable.... good value alround. The restaurant is simple, wholesome but really cheap, breakfast is fairly basic.... but generally a good happy environment and we enjoyed our stay. The common areas are modest. I would recommend it as a place to stay for an extended period for low cost rather than a luxury top end experience. Just a short walk to the impressiveTimes Square precinct and is connected by a modern Metro to most destinations. The location has a feeling of open space about it and is not in a hustle-bustle district..... quite relaxing really. We werent in any way disappointed with our stay and our expectations were more than adequately met for the price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Modena Jinjihu Suzhou!

Thank you for taking your precious time to share your experience in Modena with us! We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay and have strongly identified our unique selling points. At the same time, we greatly appreciate your simple introduction of our surrounding facilities and amenities.

We look forward to your next visit soon!

Düsseldorf, Deutschland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The Hotel made an unauthorized payment with my credit card.
This Hotel charged me without my signature - or pin approval.
This is unacceptable and needs to be said. Other Hotel guest should check their accounts after leaving this hotel.
Rooms are good, reception service needs improvement and need to understand the importance of credit cards and that non unauthorized payments are illegal!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Modena Jinjihu Suzhou!

Thank you for taking your precious time to write us this unpleasant experience. After investigating on the issue, we understand that your reservation was made via Booking.Com. Upon your confirmation, we received the pre-authorization code to your credit card and RMB 1,500 was "freeze" from it to served as a guaranteed. No deduction was made at this point.

Upon check-in, our Reception proceed to deduct the Room Charge of RMB 1,425 from the "freeze" amount. An addition Deposit of RMB 600 was also "freeze" from your credit card with the given pre-authorization code. Up till that stage, the actual amount deducted a total of RMB 2,025 was deducted from you credit card.

When you check-out, you settled the Miscellaneous Charges with cash. For the deposit of RMB 600, it will be refunded to your credit card. I believed you have called the Reception after you have check-out to clarify on this and my colleague has given you the same reply.

To assure you we did not made any unauthorized deduction from your credit card. When you confirmed your reservation, you have already given us the pre-authorization code.

However, I do acknowledge that my colleague at the Reception should have let you sign on the charge slip to ensure security reason.

We apologize for the insecure feeling that you had with us. I assure you I will put in place stringent requirements to ensure the security and privacy of all our guests.

Should you return to Suzhou, do let me know. I will personally arrange for your reservation and would love to dine out with you.

Looking forward to be of service to you again soon!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Overall, the reviews about this hotel are right. Personally I like the convenience of having the newly opened Suzhou Metro station just right across the road in front of the hotel. The hotel is near the Xinhu Station (新湖站). Although the hotel is a little far from Suzhou city centre, the metro line makes the traveling into the old, scenic Suzhou town much easy and accessible.

Be warned that most taxi drivers may not know the location of this hotel. Please print out a good map and photo of the hotel building for easy recognition. Me and my friends (in 3 separate taxis) had a difficult time telling the taxi drivers the location of the hotel, despite that we had a chinese description of the place from a local China forum and that we speak Chinese. We were traveling from the Suzhou Yuanqu rail station. Lucky for me (being the point taxi), I recognised the building exterior (as I had reviewed TripAdvisor's photos before the trip) when the taxi stopped at the junction, and quickly directed the taxi driver to turn into the hotel's small road.

The apartment is clean and comfortable, and there's good Wi-Fi in the room and within the hotel. However, I find the breakfast a little sub-standard. There's very little variety of american/continental breakfast menu, and the coffee/tea very diluted. You'll need to travel a station down to get your regular Starbuck coffee.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Modena J, General Manager at Modena Jinjihu Suzhou, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Sir, thank you for taking your precious time to share with us your experience. We do acknowledge on the insufficient direction signs to our apartment. We are in the process of fabricating new and more signage to provide direction to our apartment. On the lack of quality and variety of our breakfast spread, we are speaking to our chef to improve on them. We assure you the spread will not be the same on your next visit.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused and look forward to your return stay
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This hotel is pretty good overall.

1) Air Conditioning: This may be a non-issue for others, but air conditioning is pretty important to me. This hotel has individually-controlled AC units. You really can bring your room down to 19C if you so choose.

2) Location: If you're interested in staying in the busy downtown core, then this isn't necessarily the best location. However, the extremely clean metro station is a 1 minute walk from the building, and will get you to any downtown destination (shi quan jie) in a shorter time than a taxi (metro trains and surrounding train station areas are air conditioned as well)

3) Rooms: Good size and quite modern in design. I stayed in the smallest room and it is still a reasonable size. It had a small kitchen with a sink, medium-sized fridge, microwave and kettle. Kitchen is stocked with a couple of plates, utensils including forks and knives, soup ladels. You can even cook there as there are heating elements. Electronics-wise, the room has a large television (BBC channel), DVD player, iPhone dock, etc etc. Bathroom is smaller, but clean, well stocked and modern. Your choice of smoking/non smoking,

4) Noise: Relatively no noise unless your facing the street (as I was), but the well-sealed windows (can be opened though) prevent most sound from coming it. If you're a very light sleeper (as I am), wear earplugs and your sleep will be fine.

5) Breakfast/Food: Nothing special - food is warm and safe. There is a mix of western and Chinese style food, however it definitely leans more to the western side. I wouldn't rave about the quality of the food, but it's certainly more than edible and is worth eating at if it is included in your room price. I'm not sure if the hotel has late night food or a restaurant or room service to be honest. I never looked into it. Don't expect to walk around at night trying to find food though. There isn't much nearby without the use of a taxi.

6) Service: I had a bit of an issue getting my drycleaning on time. They kept trying to refuse to clean clothing by drycleaning method rather than regular washing. They actually changed my order on a piece of paper from dycleaning to regular laundry and laundered it this way even though I specifically indicated not to. I'm not sure why this happened, but it's really not a big deal. The front desk can speak pretty good English as can some of the other employees. The rooms are cleaned on time and are cleaned quite well.

7) Nearby amenities: Being in the Industrial District, there isn't much around within walking distance as if you were to live in downtown Suzhou - however, directly outside of the hotel (attached to it) is a very good convenience store that is open until 10pm and will sell water, chips and other basic items you may have forgot at home. You can take a taxi to many different nearby restaurants/shopping areas - they are within a 10 minute drive. You are also only a 5 minute taxi ride away from a private hospital if necessary (caters well to foreigners) - it's called Kowloon hospital.

--- OVERALL ---

If you want to stay in Gong Ye Yuan District (Industrial Park) this isn't a bad choice. I paid $80.00 per night for 5 nights and don't regret it at all. I've stayed at a number of the best hotels in Suzhou and I still feel this is a pretty good room providing you don't want to be able to walk out your front door and be in a pretty busy area such as downtown. Even if you want to head downtown, hop on a metro for about 15 minutes. Clean, easy to use, air conditioned and quick. Definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: All rooms have individually-controlled AC
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
, Director of Sales at Modena Jinjihu Suzhou, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear Mr. Tyler,

Greetings from Modena Jinjihu Suzhou!

On behalf of the Management, I would like to thank you for taking your precious time to pen your valuable comments on your experience with us in TripAdvisor.

Your comments are very important to us, as they will allow us to improve on areas that we did not deliver to your expectation. At the same time, your compliments will definitely motivate our team to put in the best efforts to ensure that our residents will have a lasting experience.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Basically, you have spotted most of our selling points and these are reasons why our guests choose us for.

Two of your comments have allowed us to relook at our Operations. Firstly, our Breakfast is a simple spread that consist of Asian and Western items. Although we acknowledge this is nothing to shout about, our priority is to ensure that our residents will not get to work with a empty stomach. At the moment, our restaurant opened till 10pm, and within 10 minutes walking distance, you may have lots of choices on different kind of restaurants. Secondly, we are surprise to learn of your unpleasant experience on with regards to your Drycleaning. We sincerely apologise for this unpleasant experience, which purely is our mistake. We assure such incident will not happen again.

Mr. Tyler, do let us know if there is anything we can continue to do for you. We would appreciate if you can help to share your positive experience at Modena Jinjihu Suzhou with your friends, especially those are visiting Suzhou either for work or leisure. We certainly look forward you staying with us in the near future

Once again, thank you for your support.

Best regards,
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

The other reviews are right. This is a delightful, clean, modern, convenient, hotel -- at an affordable price for all but the most economical travelers. We stayed in a two-bedroom suite. The Modena's attention to detail is incredible.
About the location: The Modena is in a very new part of Suzhou called Jinji Lake. For western travelers, Jinji Lake is a glimpse into the Chinese powers-that-be ability to drive development on a massive scale. Dozens of high-rise residential and office towers, and I mean a minimum of 30 stories for most buildings, dot the perimeter of a medium-sized lake. There is an exhibition center and many high-end restaurants. The place is designed to appeal to Korean business barons and the newly-rich Chinese. You have to see it to believe it.
Back to the Modena hotel: A newly-opened subway, aptly named Line 1, has a stop a 5-minute walk from the Modena. Actually, there is an as-yet unopened entrance into the same subway station only a 2-minute walk away. An adjacent high-rise, under construction while we were there, likely will spark the opening of the closer entrance once that high-rise is finished. The subway is clean, uncrowded, and fast. Oh, and not expensive -- I think we paid 2 kwai or 4 kwai ($0.33 or $0.65 in USD) when we rode it.
Taxis were easy to catch near the Modena. We were told you also can dial 6667, or something like that, to summon a taxi. We had no problem with taxis, who always were courteous and dropped the meter -- in stark contrast to our experience elsewhere in China.
We didn't try the in-hotel restaurant on the 4th floor, preferring to walk to a nearby shopping center that had the usual western restaurants, like Starbucks and KFC, plus a range of other restaurants. We found a small bbq-type restaurant that had all you can eat for 78 kwai (about $12 USD) of excellent grill-it-yourself meats and vegetables.
What else? That same nearby shopping center had a very-high-end food market downstairs where you could buy international-type food items. Since our suite at the Modena had a kitchen, had we chosen to, it would have been easy to buy some fancy foods in this food market, take them back to our kitchen, and cook or microwave them. Instead, we enjoyed the restaurants in the area, plus some that were more in the central part of Suzhou that we rode to on the subway.
Bottom line: This is one of the great hotel values in China. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The suites are a great deal for two couples traveling together, or maybe a pair of business associat...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with Modena Jinjihu Suzhou.

We are delighted to know that have you enjoyed your stay with us. Basically, you have spotted most of our selling points and these are reasons why our guests choose us for. Modena offers apartments that are modern, clean, comfortable and definitely value-for-money. With the opening of the subway and the international mall nearby, they have made this part of Suzhou more liveable.

Do let us know if there is anything we can continue to do for you. We would appreciate if you can help to share your positive experience at Modena Jinjihu Suzhou with your friends, especially those that are visiting Suzhou either for work or leisure. We certainly look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

Once again, thank you for your support!

Been to Modena Jinjihu Suzhou? Share your experiences!