“Food and service have gone downhill recently” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 625 Restaurants in Suzhou
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Authentic Indian Cuisine prepared by world renowed Indian chefs specializes in Vegetarian, Halal dishes.
Suzhou, China
“Food and service have gone downhill recently”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

I loved this restaurant when it first opened: the food, though expensive for China, was excellent, it was never crowded and the service was good.

Several times we also tried the 'all-you-can-eat' Sunday lunch buffet (which isn't actually a buffet; you pay a set price, then order whatever you want from a limited menu and it's freshly prepared) and found it to be good value.

On our last visit however, every table was full, the restaurant was very understaffed and service and in some cases food quality had dropped enough to make me doubt I'll ever return. In what could only seem like an attempt to minimise consumption by customers (and none of our family group of 4 is a very big eater), curries were brought LONG before the accompanying bread or rice, or vice versa. There was a very limited supply of chicken (the only meat on the menu), so when my god-daughter tried to order a 2nd dish, she was disappointed. Sometimes we would only be told after a lengthy wait that some dish was unavailable. We had to remind the waitress several times to bring some dishes, while others were brought twice over. One dish was inedible, with a strong taste of burnt pan, and was only replaced after a lengthy discussion with the owner and when we'd already given up on it. There was another lengthy wait for our puddings. The final straw came when we tried to order 2 extra portions of pudding to make up for all the food that had never arrived, and were told that this was impossible, as it was now (thanks to all the delays by the kitchen and waiting staff) 8 minutes after the 2pm deadline.

After another complaint to the owner (who recognised me as a fairly regular customer, and one who had never complained about anything before), 2 extra little bowls of kheer were eventually brought, along with a warning not to exceed the deadline again.

The whole thing left a very sour taste in my mouth. What was once a 4- or 5-star restaurant has become a big disappointment.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Suzhou, China
“disappointing, expensive, no service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We went for a Business Lunch to Namaste. My guest was looking forward to some authentic Nan bread and Indian curry.

She was very disappointed, as was I.

The Samosa was cold and tasteless,

the Nan bread was undercooked and barely warm.

The curries all looked and tasted the same,were unsatisfactory,and again not hot.

My knife was rusty !

The cutlery and dishes were already on the table when we arrived and did not look clean,

There was NO service. The hostesses were busy cleaning and had no time to attend to us.

There is no second chance for a first impression, and my guest was not impressed.

• Visited November 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Best Indian in Suzhou!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Highly recommend the tandooried leg of lamb - not to be missed. Excellent food, good staff and good location.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I've been to Namaste on many occasions and loved it every time. The food is excellent quality and great value. I would particularly recommend the Chicken Chetinand, my favourite Indian dish in Suzhou

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tianjin, China
“Overall the best Indian in Suzhou”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Namaste's decoration is quite nice, there is a very warm atmosphere. However the lighting is way too dim, and the choice and layout of tables and chairs does not leave me wanting to stay for too long.

The food was good, but definitely not the best Indian food in Suzhou. The Indian canteen in Suzhou university that provides the daily meals to the Indian doctoral students does a better job.

Overall though, for the quality of the food, value, service and atmosphere, I would say that Namaste in the best Indian restaurant in Suzhou.

• Visited October 2011