“Small hotel but big service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Poly Hotel Wuhan

You added Poly Hotel Wuhan to your Saves list
Poly Hotel Wuhan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.788 Minzhu Road, Wuchang District, Wuhan 430071, China   |
Ranked #26 of 1,970 Hotels in Wuhan
Crete, Greece
“Small hotel but big service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I love the fact it is a smaller hotel and the rooms are great. The staff knows us by name, Mr. and Mrs., and are oh so friendly and will do anything. They are all fantastic! It is beautiful, quiet and even when almost full, it never feels like you are on top of each other. Again, I cannot say enough about this resort and I am planning my next trip back soon and I don't want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

For the price we had paid, it's definitely value for money. All the staff were very helpful and friendly and I felt like they were treating us like the King and Queen.

The bell boys standing outside the hotel door entrance, were extremely helpful. Given that this was our visit in Wuhan, they talked to us and told us the various attractions worth visiting in Wuhan.

The price we paid, was approx. 1/4 of what we had paid for a 4-star hotel in NY, USA! But in NY, the service was terrible, despite the fact that we always had to pay tips to every service staff. But here in Wuhan, the hotel staff are all very helpful and they are just being nice and helpful, without expecting you to gain any monetary rewards from you. Overall, I like the Wuhan people, they are the ones who are willing to walk an extra mile for you. I would highly recommend visitors to stay at this hotel .....Cheap and nice!

Room Tip: Always ask for NON SMOKING room if you are not a smoker.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have been to China four times and have traveled extensively in China. This is the BEST hotel I have ever stayed in China and the USA. Now, I have never stayed in a $1,000 per night hotel anywhere in the world, but in the mid to upper price ranges, this is the best one. The rooms are comfortable,nice, and attractive with all the proper amenities. I have never been treated so well at any hotel in the world. All staff here are wonderful--front desk, service managers, bellmen, restaurants waitstaff, housekeeping. The problem is, they have treated me so much like a king, I might later forget that I am not a king. They will spoil you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lee's Summit, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Arrived in Wuhan off a sleeper train at 10:30 in the morning. Hotels are always awesome after spending the night on a train! Walked to a dumpling restaurant down the street and across the pedestrian bridge for $10 meal for 6 people. Went swimming and they didn't make us put on bathing caps. Breakfast was good. There was free wifi in the lobby, although if you weren't sitting on one of the few sofas, and had taken up residence elsewhere, they ushered you into the business center.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Mantsala, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

The five stars of the hotel is probably given because of reception interior and room design (WITHOUT considering comfort). The staff is nice - but doesn't speak any English. If you ask, everyone will answer you YES, but they don't have a clue what you are asking for. Non-smoking room had ash trays even next to the bed and info: 'Please do not smoke in the bed'. I have changed the room to the other one 'non-smoking' with window that could be opened and had only one ash tray. Some rooms have no wardrobes, so your clothes will be hanging and lying around on chairs. Translation of dishes is really challenging (hamburger is explained as noodle soup with shrimps). Their wine and cigar bar is good and wine choice a positive surprise, cozy atmosphere and friendly service made this place worth to visit. I can recommend this hotel for Chinese speaking travellers, if you are not one of them be ready for time-consuming 'discussions' and surprises (my suit has been washed instead of dry cleaned even if I used the form and crossed the 'dry cleaning', difficult to get anything to eat after 11 p.m. and heavily drunken local guests messing up the lobby...)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

We traveled with our 15 year old son to adopt our 5 year old daughter from China. The room our agency booked was smaller then would work, and noisy due to a building under construction, and with no hesitation the hotel staff moved us to a larger room on the quiet side of the building. The bed was easily a king size, and not really that hard. Our son was provided a rollaway bed, which he said was very comfy. We all loved it there. The staff are the very best, professional and caring. The food at the buffet was usually quite good, although one night there was a Chinese buffet that had some very unusual dishes, we still found plenty to enjoy, and learned a bit about regional dishes.

One odd thing about the rooms. The bathroom was seperated from the main room by a glass wall. The only privacy provided was a heavy curtain that you had to draw from outside the room, and even then it only reached to the edge of the door, which was etched glass and the bottom of the door had a gap of about a foot to the floor. Our daughter would peek at us from under the door. It made for some uncomfortable moments but we managed. It is probably either a cultural thing, or it's considered stylish, not sure.

The area was under a lot of heavy construction everywhere you went, and traffic was terrible. The hotel entrance is not much more than an alleyway, which was surprising given how upscale it is on the inside. To cross the street you would need to walk a few blocks to a flyover, or brave insane traffic.

All in all it was a very nice place to stay, but, I might consider staying somewhere else next time. Perhaps in walking distance to a park or recreational area where we didn't risk our lives getting there.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

This hotel is great! Thought I'd already posted a review but I tried to re-read it tonight for old times' sake and didn't see it. I like the hotel enough to try again. We stayed here when adopting our second Chinese child in 9/2009. Spent 4 nights. The agency arranged the hotels so we had no idea what to expect. It's hard for me to judge costs since everything was already rolled into a package. We booked 2 adjoining rooms this time since Chinese beds are smaller. Beds are rock hard, as are all Chinese hotel beds I've been in. We had adequate internet access in the room.

I've stayed in 8 Chinese hotels while spending a total of about 4 weeks in China and this is probably my favorite-the only one that competes was one we only stayed in for only one night. Rooms were comfortable and surprisingly upscale, as were the rest of the facilities. The area is so urban (it is China . . .) that you can't tell much from the outside and there aren't any grounds to speak of, but inside it was impressive. Didn't try to use the business center (except for a couple of copies) but we did use the rec room/pool. Very nice but the water was cold (common problem). The main thing was that the service was above and beyond. The staff was quite helpful and though not every staff member spoke English someone was always available. We were within walking distance of a number of stores, plus McDonalds and Pizza Hut. Hint: if you go to Pizza Hut have your guide write out your order in advance in Chinese. We had the same waitress 2 times and the smile on her face the second time when our order was written out was priceless. I wasn't as crazy about the hotel's buffet restaurant. It wasn't bad, but I've had better at some of the other hotels. Can't really explain why, though.

Wuhan is huge and it's the worst traffic I've seen in China. Be prepared for a long trip in from the airport-at least an hour. Only strange thing about the hotel is that it had just finished some renovations-I could still smell paint in some parts of the building-and the place was deserted. Sometimes it felt like it was just us and the other adoptive family, not literally, but close to it. That's the only reason I can think of for this hotel to be empty. Again, we highly recommend it, especially the staff. Even though our visit was for family purposes, it had the look of a businessman's hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Poly Hotel Wuhan? Share your experiences!