“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Chicago, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Note: I also posted this review for "Guiyuan Temple" as it appears to be the same thing as this

I had a great experience at this temple but it was most likely because I went with two locals who explained everything to me. I haven't seen other people mention these things but because they are what made the visit fun and special I will share here (skip to #3 for best tip!):

1) I first want to mention that I learned that taking pictures of the buddha statues is frowned upon. It was explained to me that the buddha did not give me permission to take their pictures therefore I shouldn't do it. This oddly made sense to me. So I have no pictures of the actual buddhas to share but there were many in different halls ranging in size from small to very, very large.

2) You can buy turtles from people near the front to put in the "ponds". I was told the idea was that you are saving them from becoming someones dinner that night. You can see many turtles throughout the ponds (one is more of a deep pit and sort of depressing). They also told me those same turtles are just fished back out again at night to be resold. Kind of neat or terrible depending on how you look at it.

3) I took a picture of one of the metal statutes that are in the street. The goal is to throw coins and get a coin in any of the openings but especially a dragons mouth. This looks pretty difficult and none of us accomplished the dragon mouth but it was still fun.

4) This is definitely my best tip and one of my favorite experiences in china: The women I was with took me to the hall of the 500 buddha and at the beginning they said I was to start walking through until I found a buddha that seemed particularly interesting or caught my attention for some reason. Starting at that buddha I was to then keep moving buddha by buddha and count out a number that was meaningful to me (they said to use my age). So this (interesting buddha that I initially stopped at + my age) led me to buddha #229. I wrote down this number. Then we continued looking at the buddha.

Upon exiting the 500 buddha hall, we rounded the corner (to the left I think) and there is a small stand with someone behind it. I think they had a few necklaces there but nothing that indicated its true purpose (at least not to this laowai). We told the woman at the stand our buddhas number and paid maybe 10 yuan. In return she gave each of us a thin metal buddha card that corresponds with our buddha. The front has a picture of the buddha (#229 for me) and the back has a sort of fortune/personality thing in chinese. Really cool experience, souvenir and a way to remember 'my' buddha without taking a picture (see my pics for what this card looks like). I have that card on my desk now and it really makes me smile. Definitely not something that I would have ever been able to figure out on my own.

5) there is a nice gift shop to too far from the 500 buddha that has all manner of lovely things. I saw a bracelet that I liked (and that women on the street in Beijing stopped me to ask about) but when they got one out of the case for me it seemed too small. the woman working then showed me the best bracelet trick and one I still use- put a plastic bag over your hand. the 'too small' bracelet slides right on (and off).

Visited March 2013

• Thai first
Chicago, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
“One of the best things I did in Wuhan, but have to know the tricks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

4) This is definitely my best tip and one of my favorite experiences in china: The women I was with took me to the hall of the 1000 buddha and at the beginning they said I was to start walking through until I found a buddha that seemed particularly interesting or caught my attention for some reason. Starting at that buddha I was to then keep moving buddha by buddha and count out a number that was meaningful to me (they said to use my age). So this (interesting buddha that I initially stopped at + my age) led me to buddha #229. I wrote down this number. Then we continued looking at the buddha.

Upon exiting the 1000 buddha hall, we rounded the corner (to the left I think) and there is a small stand with someone behind it. I think they had a few necklaces there but nothing that indicated its true purpose (at least not to this laowai). We told the woman at the stand our buddhas number and paid maybe 10 yuan. In return she gave each of us a thin metal buddha card that corresponds with our buddha. The front has a picture of the buddha (#229 for me) and the back has a sort of fortune/personality thing in chinese. Really cool experience, souvenir and a way to remember 'my' buddha without taking a picture (see my pics for what this card looks like). I have that card on my desk now and it really makes me smile. Definitely not something that I would have ever been able to figure out on my own.

5) there is a nice gift shop to too far from the 1000 buddha that has all manner of lovely things. I saw a bracelet that I liked (and that women on the street in Beijing stopped me to ask about) but when they got one out of the case for me it seemed too small. the woman working then showed me the best bracelet trick and one I still use- put a plastic bag over your hand. the 'too small' bracelet slides right on (and off).

Visited April 2013
Canada
“Peace and quietness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Simply a wonderful temple of Buddhists where you see people's belief has not changed with changing society.

Visited April 2013
Singapore
29 attraction reviews
“Landmark Temple in Wuhan”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is the Buddhist temple, other than the Yellow Crane Pagoda, you have to visit when you are in Wuhan. It is located in the industrial district of Han Yang. The main entrance of the temple appears to be quite humble. You need to pay an entrance fee to enter the temple. Inside the compound in front of the main hall there is a turtle pond. There is a hall dedicated to 500 luohans (Buddha disciples). Each with unique facial expression and posture. It has a unique a 50 ft tall 2-sided Kwan Yin statue behind the main temple. The temple is usually crowded with worshippers and tourists.. Watch out for a huge 8 storey pagoda extension adjacent to the statue due to be complete soon. .

Visited March 2013
Grafton, Massachusetts
19 attraction reviews
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Overall I really enjoyed visiting this temple. There are quite a few buildings, but the most interesting one had 500 gold Buddhas. Each of them was different, with different meanings. No photos are allowed inside the temples, but they are allowed outside. We went late in the day and there was almost no one else there, which was nice. Worth going to if in Wuhan.

Visited June 2012