“Excellent stay in an excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Zhengzhou Convention Centre Hotel

You added Novotel Zhengzhou Convention Centre Hotel to your Saves list
Novotel Zhengzhou Convention Centre Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Block 17A Graham Building CBD Outer Ring RD, Zhengzhou 450000, China   |
Ranked #5 of 1,211 Hotels in Zhengzhou
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
“Excellent stay in an excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed from 21 - 25 September in Novotel Zhengzhou. We had an excellent stay. The service was very personal, the rooms are well equipped and very clean. The beds are very comfortable and the breakfast had a great variety with eastern and western food. It was continuously refilled so that the taste remains fresh. We want to thank especially Peter, Andy and Luiz for making this stay very special. Every time we arrived at the hotel, they came to us to have a chat and make sure everything was OK. Anyone thinking of staying is Zhengzhou, we recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Stephen L, General Manager at Novotel Zhengzhou Convention Centre Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Zhengzhou Convention Centre. We are pleased to see that you were satisfied with our services during your recent stay with us.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

We had discussed with all managers concerned and putting the right training needs for our staff to serve our guests better and meet with their expectations.

Thanks for your comments again and we are looking forward to your next stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel whilst visiting an exhibition in the city. The Novotel is, as with most of Accors Novotels, a modern, business style property in a good location.
The rooms were very modern and comfortable with a great range of toiletries and on the club floor, the lounge was well laid out and great to sit for a meeting or relaxing drink.

The only down side was the lack of English speakers but, with some patience there was always someone there that could help

Walking distance to the exhibition centre but about 20mins from the city so decide if you want to spend the evenings more out in the city or quiet time in the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Stephen L, General Manager at Novotel Zhengzhou Convention Centre Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear guest:
We are pleased to read you enjoyed staying with us! Thank you for your compliments about our team. We appreciate your feedback and lookforward to your next visit to Zhengzhou!
Best regards!
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed at this Novotel in late December last year and again in early January. There aren't many choices in Zhengzhou and as a Le Club Accor member, you're left with this property or Sofitel Zhengzhou which is a complete disgrace to the Sofitel brand. Where should I begin?

Room:
I've stayed on the executive floor (15th floor) and in the regular rooms. The design is what you would come to expect from a Novotel. Modern and stylish, but that's about it. The walls are thin and the problem with that is you tend to hear others returning late at night and slamming their doors. I had an issue with some local Chinese guests who booked two rooms together and kept going in and out of their rooms to visit each other. It was downright rude and inconsiderate because they kept slamming the doors. The front desk tried to communicate with them, but to no avail. As a result, I had a horrible night's sleep.

Beware that some rooms are smokier than others. It's common for hotels in China to be tainted with cigarette smoke, but somehow, the situation seems to be worse at Novotel Zhengzhou. Request for a room without the smell if you are not a smoker. Do not settle for what is offered if it is below your expectations.

Internet in the room is also a real problem. Even though wifi is free, you will still struggle to get a decent speed to get any work done. For business travellers, this can be a real issue when you are trying to download or upload big documents. Heck, you can't even stream a 5 minute video without waiting hours for it to buffer. Even if you use a router and connect it to the LAN cable, the speed is still slow. It has nothing to do with the wifi signal. Not sure what bandwidth they are running at, but management really needs to invest more in this area. If I can't get work done in my room, I'm simply not going to stay there.

Food & Beverage:
I've stayed at other hotels in Zhengzhou including Noble International and Aloft. Both serve up a better buffet breakfast than Novotel. The only reason I say this is that this property prides itself on serving business travellers, but there is nothing "business" about it when the restaurant staff just stand there without proactively taking you to an empty table. Without them guiding you, there is a good chance you'll end up sitting at someone else's table while they're out getting food and only realise it once they're back.

When I stayed there, they were serving pancakes with soya sauce. When I asked for maple syrup, they offered honey. Why serve western items if the staff don't know what sauces and condiments to use? By the way, when I asked for ketchup for my hash brown, I was told the kitchen had none. All they had was tomato puree. It was a complete joke.

Location:
The location is good if you're in town for business and your office is in the CBD area. Level of convenience is subjective and in this case it worked for me. Beware that calling a taxi can be difficult especially in the evening. The concierge staff tries to help, but there is only so much they can do when the area is so isolated.

Facilities:
My favorite part about this Novotel is the pool and gym. I wish the gym was open 24/7, but I was still quite pleased with everything. The staff working at the pool/gym was very good and courteous. Things were clean and very well maintained.

Overall:
Service at the front desk is good if you can speak Chinese. I noticed some Americans having a really tough time.

The hotel manager doesn't seem to do much about it either, he is just standing on the side and watching everything unfold.

However, I must say there are a few front desk staff that provided really good service, much better than Noble, Aloft or even Crowne Plaza in Zhengzhou.

I heard from a colleague who stayed there recently that there is a new GM. I'm hoping things have improved drastically over the last three months. However, I'm not taking any risks. For now, I'm wait patiently for Le Meridien to open in September. I will only stay at Novotel if there are no other options and the prices are dirt cheap. Otherwise, why bother?

Room Tip: Choose rooms that are around the corner. They tend to be bigger. Not all rooms are created equal at...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ysera Z, Asst.EC Manager at Novotel Zhengzhou Convention Centre Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear guest:
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Zhengzhou Convention Centre. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow us to express our sincerest apologies.
Best Regards!
Carlow, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is listed as a five star and certainly would deserve that status by local standards. However in China there are really good five star properties that deserve that status ahead of this hotel.
That may sound negative but I will be happy to stay here again, the staff were friendly, the room was good and the food, particularly the evening buffet was above my expectations.

Slight downsides included the fact, that like many establishments particularly outside of Beijing, Shanghai etc, Chinese businessmen seem to think that they can do whatever they like including shouting, spitting and smoking in non-smoking areas and nobody does anything about it. This is just a fact of life and after 13 years of travelling to China, I am well used to it.

Wifi is free and decent strength and free mini bar is welcome.

Some noisiness in the room, not sure from where...maybe aircon or next door but no big deal.

Anyway, the big plus was the staff who I found to be attentive and friendly and the big reason that I will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ysera Z, Asst.EC Manager at Novotel Zhengzhou Convention Centre Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear guest:

Thank you for sharing your valuable comments with us and I hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Best Regards!

Been to Novotel Zhengzhou Convention Centre Hotel? Share your experiences!