“Worth the money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Wanda Harbin

You added Sofitel Wanda Harbin to your Saves list
Sofitel Wanda Harbin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.68 Ganshui Road, Xiangfang District, Hei Long Jiang, Harbin 150090, China   |
Ranked #2 of 922 Hotels in Harbin
Beijing, China
“Worth the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

There is less expensive accommodation in Harbin, but if you are a Westerner who really wants Western comforts, this is the hotel to book. The staff is very well trained, English spoken by many of the staff (room service, front desk). The food at the hotel is very good, particularly the buffet breakfast. It is worth the extra charge as you will not find a Western breakfast like it anywhere near by.

The company I work for recently switched contracts to another hotel in Harbin, and I am very sorry for that. I miss staying here, and recommend it highly.

Also, warning to any foreign traveler in China who requests a non-smoking room. It is customary in China, if the hotel is full, to give ashtrays to people in non-smoking rooms to solve the customers request. If you arrive and your room smells like smoke, politely go down to the desk and request a new room. Arriving before 5 p.m. makes switching rooms much easier than if you are a late arrival with few rooms available to switch you to.

Room Tip: See my comment about non-smoking rooms. There really is no such thing in China. If your room smell...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Nicolas-Girard, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Wanda Harbin, responded to this review, August 7, 2012

Greeting from Sofitel Wanda Harbin.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team and in particular to our staffs mentioned on your feedback (Front Desk and Room Service).

It is very sad to see that your company has switch their contract to another hotel but do not hesitate to visit us for breakfast, lunch or diner during your next stay in Harbin. It will be a pleasure to be at your service once more.

Thank you for highlighting our service as we strongly believe that feedback is the key to success.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Quite far from the airport, but Harbin is a big city.
New, fancy hotel.
Beds are very comfortable, definitely "My Bed" standard.
Breakfast is very good, even have various French cheeses and two kinds of bacon (regularly fried and crispy - and I thought I had seen it all).
Chinese restaurant still serves sharkfin soup very prominently. When will international hotels in china finally start to set a sign to protect these species?

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Sofitel-Harbin, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Wanda Harbin, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greeting from Sofitel Wanda Harbin.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of us as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

new zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

This hotel was terrible. We expected 4-5 star and would have gotten better at a 3 star.

1. We requested a non smoking room and when we tried to check in they tried to give us a smoking room and we were told repeatedly that a non smoking room was not available. We had to argue with the woman that we wanted non smoking. It took about 30 mins to get our room preference.
2. The Euro restaurant was awful. I ordered the lamb shanks and they were horrible. They were tiny, swimming in a gravy-like soup, tough enough that I needed a steak knife to get any meat from them, and once I got some meat it tasted really gamey, as if it was goat and not lamb.
3. The Chinese restaurant called Old Shanghai had giant dried shark fins on display. If you don't know what shark fin soup is all about please click this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_finning I am amazed that a hotel like Sofitel can support this practice.
4. When I tried to check out the woman using the credit card machine tried to charge me 50000rmb when it should have been 500 rmb, and then proceeded to try my card in every other machine. All told they tried my card about 10 times to pay the disgusting meal that we couldn't even eat and the effect of this was my card was blocked by my bank. In the end she threw my card at me and toldl me to go to a cash machine to get money out.

However, I think this hotel could be very good. The problem seemed to me that the local staff were inadequately trained and the European staff seem at their wits end about how to change the level of service.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sofitel-Harbin, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Wanda Harbin, responded to this review, April 9, 2012

Greeting from Sofitel Wanda Harbin.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Your multiple comments are well noted and rest assured that the department head concern has been informed and we will take the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

In closing, thank you for highlighting the service and attitude areas where we can obviously improve upon as I strongly believe that feedback is the key to success. Nonetheless, I would like to once more offer my deepest apologies and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Beijing, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Average hotel, looking a bit worn out. Ready for refurbishment. Some stains on the carpet and mould on the bathroom walls. The AC fan started rattling at about 5am. Avoid the European restaurant. Had the pork chop which was terrible. Really tough and tasteless.

Definitely not worth the price tag.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Greeting from Sofitel Wanda Harbin.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Your comment about the room and the restaurant are well noted. I am pleased to inform you that our hotel will replace the carpet in all the room and public area within 2012. As for the restaurant, our Executive Chef has taking your comment very seriously and appropriate measures will be address to prevent future occurrence.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Stayed here during the International Snow & Ice Festival in Harbin for two nights. This hotel is one of two five star hotels in Harbin and I wish I had spent a bit more and stayed in the other one (Shangri-La).

The things that struck me about this hotel were:

* Service *
- After check-in, the concierge seemed really bored and disinterested in carrying our bags to our room. When we were there, he stood around expecting a tip, we gave him 10RMB and he seemed disappointed even though it is not in our Aussie culture to tip.
- On the night before, I called front desk and asked to extend my checkout to 1PM so that I can sleep in with my partner. I got woken up at 10AM the next day by front desk to ask when I will be checking out.

* Room *
- Our carpets were filthy, understandable given the weather.
- There were no wireless internet access in the building, this was unacceptable IMO. We had stayed at many multi-storey hotels as low as 3.5 stars during our trip and they all had wireless.
- Room has really nice modern decor but is really dark even when all lights are switched on, I did most of my bedtime reading in the bathroom.
- Beds are really comfortable.
- There is a big marble bathtub in every room but strangely no bath foam.

* Facilities *
- The Sofitel Chinese restaurant downstairs had poor attitude. On our first night there we were in a hurry so we ordered fried rice, the waitress told us it will take 10 minutes to cook. It ended up taking 30 minutes because they don't make much money on the fried rice so it is deprioritised.
- Had dinner at Sofitel Elements on our second evening. Food is supposed to be French but came in much generous servings. The taste is pretty average and so it is overpriced for what you get. Plus entree, main and dessert are served in the wrong order. I asked for a medium lamb chops but got some rare and some medium rare chops.

Given all the problems of this hotel, the only reason I am giving it 3 stars instead of 2 is the bed. Because my god is it the most comfortable bed I've been in!

Room Tip: The park facing side of the building has nicer views and better sunlight during the day.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Greeting from Sofitel Wanda Harbin.

Your comment are well noted by all our Management team and further action will be taken to avoid such issue to occurred in the future such as:
- our carpet will be replace in all room and public area within 2012 as well as Wifi in all room (as now, only Suite room and public area have Wifi access).
- The chinese restaurant is not directly managed by Sofitel, our your comment has been communicate to the restaurant owner and he promised us to pay more attention to the customer service.

However, all our room are equip with reading light on top of the bed. Maybe you haven't seen the switch.

I am confident that our overall service is better than the one mentioned on your comment and and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

In closing, thank you for highlighting the service and attitude areas where we can obviously improve. Once more, I would like to offer my deepest apologies.

Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Hotel itself is not bad..
What we didn't like was it's location.. It's a bit far away from the main attractions of Harbin.. So, be aware of the location before you book..

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Nicolas-Girard, Manager at Sofitel Wanda Harbin, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Bonjour Monsieur;
Thank you very much for your review on staying at Sofitel Wanda Harbin.
We are making effort to make the hotel a more convenient and comfortable one.
Wish a Happy New Year in 2013!

Sun HE - Quality & Service Manager at Sofitel Wanda Harbin

Been to Sofitel Wanda Harbin? Share your experiences!