“Attractive, quiet location with special Spanish/English speaking service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zhongmao Haiyue Hotel

Save Saved
You added Zhongmao Haiyue Hotel to your Saves list
Zhongmao Haiyue Hotel
No.168 Yucai Street, Yuhua District, Shijiazhuang 050021, China   |
Ranked #5 of 438 hotels in Shijiazhuang
Ann Arbor,Michigan USA
“Attractive, quiet location with special Spanish/English speaking service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have used this hotel on 3 trips now, staying 1- 3 days each time.
The property rates a 4 + star rating, with an attractive lobby, up to date guest rooms, and several nice restaurants (Chinese, Japanese and Western). Additionally, there is a typical lobby bar and a Western style bar.
One unusual service that they offer are "foreign butlers" - young Western guest service staff. I have met several, and all have excellent English as well as native Spanish. (They are natives of Spain and several Latin American countries.) Chinese staff also have a generally good English fluency.
The location is in a residential and university area; positive if you want quiet, mildly negative if you are looking for entertainment or restaurants in convenient walking distance. (Try the International Building Hotel or World Trade Center Hotel if you want to be in the middle of the action.)
The breakfasts were great -- even offering your choice of "bacon" and "crispy bacon" - the latter cooked to North American taste, the former matching the soft, slightly undercooked style common to China. Dinner at the Western restaurant was buffet only; a great spread (although I would prefer to have an a la carte option as well.)
Service was great at all of the facilities.

Room Tip: All rooms I have seen were fine.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ZMHY, Manager at Zhongmao Haiyue Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Bpritts, Thank you for your comments and for choosing Zhongmao Haiyue Hotel during your three visits to Shijiazhuang. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service and facilities in our hotel.

Also, we would like to tell you that we recently opened 3 new restaurants: Crystal Western Restaurant (Buffet and A la Carte), Kuppa Steakhouse and All Seasons Cantonese Hot Pot. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to recommend you some of our featured dishes during your next your next trip to the city.

We look forward to welcome you again in Zhongmao Haiyue Hotel.

Juan Carlos Rodo
Executive Assistant Manager

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I haven't ever stayed in a hotel of this standard before, so maybe I am not a good judge, but I find it difficult to imagine how you could improve. Apart from the lavish decore, and high staffing level, the distinguishing thing about this hotel compared to others that I've stayed at in China is the level of service from all staff, from the greeters at the door to those that summon an elevator the moment you veer in that direction. I understand that some of the senior management is from Costa Rica, and I saw several instances of the Costa Rican staff coaching and mentoring Chinese staff. Their combined efforts are impressive and I appreciated the intervention of Miguel in sorting out a minor when I checked out.
It's a small thing, but on several occasions over a short stay I saw staff doing the kind of detail cleaning in the lobby (like corners and dusting). This explains why the hotel is immaculate.
With reference to an earlier review of the breakfast, both times I've sat at a table for two, so not/no longer a problem.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ZMHY, Manager at Zhongmao Haiyue Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Zhongmao Haiyue Hotel! We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service and facilities in our hotel. Also to know that all our Staff, including the Foreign Butlers, were able to provide you a memorable experience. We look forward to welcome you again in Zhongmao Haiyue Hotel and to offer you once again our personalized service.

Juan Carlos Rodo
Executive Assistant Manager
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed two nights here in August and had a wonderful time shijiazhuang, largely due to my enjoyable stay here. The very best part of my stay was the service I received. Particularly from John and Alex from Costa Rica who speak very good English and so were able to liaise with Chinese staff for me to ensure my needs were met. They really were fantastic and even gave me their mobile number when I hired a taxi for the day so I could call if there was a problem, which I did. The hotel has all the amenities that you'd expect from a 5 star place, yet at a very reasonable price. My room was very comfortable and an enjoyable buffet breakfast was included. I did have to argue my case, on arrival, and show my booking form to get a non-smoking room which I had booked. Once this was agreed they were helpful and upgraded me to ensure I got what I booked. Thanks again, you guys were terrific!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Stay at this hotel for three nights. Beautiful lobby and rooms. A good exercise facility. Nice breakfast. Exceptional value, this hotel in Europe or North America would be 5 times more expensive! The service people new me by name and were exceptionally helpful. Special thanks to Mr. Rodo, the Executive Assistant Manager who went out of his way to see to my needs.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Canberra Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

Unlike one of the previous TA reviews I found everything about this hotel really good, including breakfast arrangements. I found lots of seating for 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8 people but didn’t see any school type 10 seating. Maybe the previous TA report was exaggerated! The room is great and the amenities and toiletries extensive, including shaver, loofah and high quality shampoos etc. I also like things such as a high quality iron and ironing board, essential for business travelers to look smart.

Good business center, good swimming pool and choice of restaurants also add up to quality hotel. There was a special person “butler” who looked after international guests. Some of the staff could speak good English including the restaurant staff.

My only Minor quibble is I could not get the room heating off, although it was winter and about 0C outside during the day, -10C at night, the room was uncomfortably warm for me at 25C. Also bathroom scales would be nice (but on second thought, maybe not - I can wait to get home before I find out how much weight I put on with the nice Chinese food.

My other gripe is the terrible pollution in China especially this city but I guess that is not the fault of the hotel

I have stayed at several hotels in Shijiazhuang but this is the best value for money

Room Tip: The Deluxe King no smoking suites are good
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Shijiazhuang, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

My friends from Hawaii stayed there for 2 nights, two adults and a child,
they stayed in one standard room, they said the room is very quiet and clean, the waiters are polite, and there are some foreigner waiters/waitress for internship.
If you want to know more about the hotel and Shijiazhuang city feel free to send me messages.

Room Tip: Better price, better room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

What a pity. This hotel would have gotten a 4 star rating from me, if not for the breakfast, but more on that later. The lobby is impressive and the hotel appears brand new. Check-in service was ok. The room was a surprise. It was large, well designed with the typical classy see through bathroom. Nice modern stand alone bathtub (not those dinosaur bathtubs glued to the wall types) and seperate shower and toilet bowl stalls. The other cushy essentials were also there, flat screen tv and plush carpet floor. I was thinking at some point at night, certainly a 4 star from this local hotel . Then I had breakfast. The breakfast restaurant was a nightmare. They had no one to usher you to a seat. And they group many tables together so each "table" seats 10. So you feel like you're in a school canteen or prison cafeteria. Lots of hotel guests milling everywhere, plates and food everywhere. My appetite went to 0 immediately and I retreated to my room. They should change this, fast

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Zhongmao Haiyue Hotel? Share your experiences!