“Deserved to be Returned” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Sanya

You added Mandarin Oriental, Sanya to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Sanya
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.12 Yuhai Road, Dadonghai Scenic Area, Sanya 572000, China (Hedong)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 1,172 Hotels in Sanya
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hong Kong, China
“Deserved to be Returned”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

There are probably too many good hotels to choose in Sanya; but I decided to return to MO again based on my first experience 2 years ago. And it proves to be no disappointment as an overall.
We were given our room upon early arrival around 0930hr. Well done to accommodate us. I had to sleep a night at Guangzhou airport while transiting just to catch this morning flight to Sanya.
The room was again, clean, large, beautiful and sufficient amenities. Only thing was there was no turndown done on the first night.
The privacy and tranquility is there, as usual. The first day we tried the mee outlet again as I recalled it was really delicious. Unfortunately the Hainan Local Noodle was a bit tasteless; probably cos I have developed a stronger taste bud over the years. That night we had drinks at the Sunset bar, and the drinks were really well mixed; and the satay was filling that I don't have the stomach for dinner anymore.
I tried the room service on the second day afternoon recalling it was really great 2 years ago, but the standard of the food has deteriorated unfortunately.
That night we went to Fresh for our dinner, the food was pricy of course, but in all honesty, I don't think the oyster nor sirloin steak very special. I don't like the fact that we were asked sparkling or water when a bottle of Evian was brought. It is too embarrassed for me to ask for normal ice water when the Evian was brought up to my partner. Also, the bill was wrong but the staff was quick to politely apologize.
The breakfast was cleverly setup; though not many food item but able to minimize manning. On both mornings, the coffee was never refilled unless asked. Guess too busy. Also, the egg station chef should be a bit more smiley and engaging than the rest of the chef as many would go to him and ask for eggs to be done in this or that way.
On my departure, the Concierge was very helpful to arrange a free car to go to the road outside to catch a taxi to airport. Checked out was efficient. The golf carts staff are very nice and friendly; suggest the front desk to have a guest relations staff engaging more proactively with the guests.
On the overall, this is a fantastic hotel that deserves to be returned.

Room Tip: The room facing the sea is great, really...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Going by the website the MO looks like paradise and we were not disappointed! We were welcomed at the airport by the MO chauffeur and the lovely daisy who escorted us in a beautiful black Mercedes to the resort. The car had fresh, chilled bottled water, frozen towels and books all about Sanja to read on our 45 min journey from the airport. When we arrived, we felt like royalty, there was about 10 members of staff there to meet and greet us including the GM. They gave both myself and my husband a flower garland necklace each, a lovely touch! We were then taken to our ocean view suite, the rooms were very spacious and airy, with 2 bathrooms, one of which was massive with bath (which was decorated with incense sticks and lovely pillar candles), a fantastic power shower (which had a ledge seat) and 2 big double sinks (I love this as I have so much make up and toiletries and I like my own space for getting ready), the mini bar was stacked with crisps, chocolate, chilled water,juices, beer and wine, of which were mostly complimentary). The suite also had a storage area with a large wardrobe, separate shelving unit and suitcase holder. Amazing views of the south china sea. The suites were about 10 minutes walk max from the main reception, golf buggys were available by calling reception, we didn't really use them as it was just the 2 of us and we loved to walk round the resort because it is so beautiful. Because we had an ocean view suite we were entitled to use the exclusive 'cliff lounge' for breakfast, afternoon tea during the day and orderves in the evening (all complimentary). The staff in the cliff lounge were outstanding, Rock and another young man from Ukraine/Romania (apologies I foget his name), nothing was ever to much trouble. The MO must have amazing training for their staff, have never seen customer service like it. The grounds were constantly up kept and maintained for cleanliness and conservation, they were beautiful and clean and the gardiners we're so pleasant and couteous whenever 5o6u passed, they would stop what they were doing, say hello and let you by. We visited all the restaurants in the resort, none of which we were disappointed with (will do separate reviews for each restaurant).
We also went to the spa twice,again what an experience, i was delighted to have 'may' both times her massages were amazing had foot and body and fell asleep on both occasions it was so relaxing and afterwards felt really revitalised and ready for more sunbathing.
Hope to be lucky enough to return one day to the MO in Sanja it really was a holiday of a lifetime-a tropical paradise it was the staff that made it-thank you!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We went, my husband and I, to Sanya during a weekend for my birthday and chose a local 5 stars hotel in the first place with direct access to the beach (which was not the Mandarin Oriental). The first day and a half was a catastrophy as this local 5 stars had a 4 stars international level and the hotel staff was barely speaking English. We decided to change to Mandarin oriental for the last 2 days in order to relax and really enjoy this weekend.
From the welcoming time until the fair well moment it was a wonder and all the staff was comprehensive, pay discreet and intensive care of us, and the diversity of swimming pools were very entertaining. The beach side is not very wide but everything is made to make you feel special in a special place.
I would definitely go back there when I will travel back to China.
Insight: Their seafood restaurant is definitely a must try!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights. MO is a much better place for getaway retreat. Friendly staffs with prompt services (much better than these at Hilton Sanya which I have also stayed during my same vocation), quiet & relaxed environment with wide seaview (at Ocean View Room), privacy & good foods, nice but not big swimming pools, quick check-out (I spend almost 20 min to check out at Hilton). Resort is facing west. You will be very enjoyable to lie on one of many daybeds for sunset view.

There was noise nuisance from the room above at about 11:30pm a night, but it was quickly resolved with staff's assistance and guests' cooperation. I think guests going MO are more reasonable man also. Highly likely to go back to MO again next time when I travel to Sanya.

Cons: beaches not good for swimming; limited on-site water-sport activities (only kayaking & snorkeling).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We arrived into Sanya from HK and had arranged for the Hotel Car Service. We were expecting just to be picked up by a driver however a member of staff from teh hotel was also there to greet us. This was great as we got to ask questions on the short drive into the hotel plus he did most of the check-in enroute. He did say that as it was low season the hotel was at about 20% occupancy however as we were looking for a rest that suited us fine. We got upgraded to a suite as well on arrival. the hotel itself is spread over a wide area and hidden amoungst very lush planting. As the hotel was very quiet we sometimes had huge swimming pools to ourselves and often we were the only ones in the bar! I guess this meant a little bit of atmosphere was lacking but this didnt really bother us.All of the restaurants were really good and I have to say the quality of the breakfast buffet was incredible. I wasnt expecting to eat the best french pastries I have ever had in China! I notice some reviewers mention the quality of the English spoken and I have to say that on occasion this did crop up, however if the person couldnt understand you there was always another person who would come over that could so this wasnt really ever an issue. This resort is mainly used by the Chinese themselves and Russians and so as long as you dont expect English to be everyones first language you are ok.
If I had a couple of negatives it would be this, the AC in our room wasnt that great and despite having someone look at it we were quite warm at night especially as it was in the 30's with very high humidity.Also we used the gym everyday but the AC was never turned on until we arrived and so that was pretty uncomfortable as well.

Room Tip: Choose a package that includes breakfast as it can work out expensive if you dont
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed in a beachfront room that was decent inside (no wow factor), but I didn't like how you had to go down from floor level at the main entrance, down these dark damp stairs where mosquitos liked to linger. The front garden was similar a bit overgrown. The lounge chairs right outside facing the beach were nice, but the plung pool was filthy and we never used it. Again, it looked mosquito infested.

The beach was decent. Sand wasn't the nicest and the waves were too strong to swim in, but the kids played in the sand and didn't complain.

We spent most our time in the pools which were really nice! The baby pool had sand on the bottom and was nice and shallow so our toddlers could play safely. My only complaint is that the food served by the pool was not very good. You had to get dressed and go into one of the restaurants for a decent meal.

The food at the Chinese restaurant was amazing! The beach restaurant's food was not that great, but the atmosphere made up for it. The noodle bar was yummy, but be warned the portions are HUGE. You will feel a bit obligated to finish all those noodles they give you, or you could easily share a bowl with someone else. Food was slightly pricey but to be expected at a nice resort.

English was so-so, but they tried so hard to please that it made up for it!

• Stayed May 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I had a wonderful 3 night stay with my daughter. We were warmly welcomed on arrival (and farewelled on departure) by the General Manager and other staff, all of whom were friendly and engaging.
The check in was good, although the first room we were assigned reeked of smoke. They kindly upgraded us and our new room was fine. Quite spacious and comfortable.
The resort is a great size - golf carts to get around on makes life easier! The main pool was beautiful. My daughter loved the inflatable pool toys and the range of beach toys provided. Food service by the pool was very slow (as food has to be ordered and collected from the main restaurant) and the menu choice was also limited. Breakfast very much caters to the Chinese palette (understandable given the Chinese are a major proportion of the hotel's guests). However my daughter wanted a certain type of cereal that was only available on the first day of our stay. When the Restaurant Manager found out, he went out of his way to personally shop for it! Amazing! Overall, the staff were very keen to serve you. English was not great for many of them but their desire to please was 100%. My experience at the Spa was sensational - probably one of the best massages I have had in a very long time. The gym is also well equipped and a nice environment to work out in. Also well planned, in that the gym is in the same building as the kids club so you can drop off and pick up easily!
I was very impressed with the high visibility of the General Manager and his senior staff. They went out of their way to say 'hello' and checked in with each day. It was a very nice touch and lacking in many hotels these days.
Overall, I was very impressed, so we will definitely be going back! Only an hour from Hong Kong so a perfect long weekend escape! (Pity about having to have a Chinese visa!!)

Room Tip: Don't take the standard garden room - they are 'under' the building and quite dark. Wort...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Sanya? Share your experiences!