“Excellent - recommend to all Aussies come and visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Huayu Resort and Spa Yanglong Bay Sanya

You added Huayu Resort and Spa Yanglong Bay Sanya to your Saves list
Huayu Resort and Spa Yanglong Bay Sanya
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Yalong Bay National Resort District, Hainan Island, Sanya 572000, China   |
Ranked #19 of 1,167 Hotels in Sanya
4.5 of 5 stars 769 Reviews
York Western Australai
“Excellent - recommend to all Aussies come and visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

Beautiful place to stay - my husband and I had travelled to Shanghai and Guilin and Yangshou -
(Mainland China) for 10 days then decided to relax on Hainan for 7 nights before going onto Hong Kong. Good decision. Staff and service excellent, room so big and luxury - top floor. Lovely big pool, good shopping arcade, the supermarket was handy for snacks etc - plenty to eat for buffet breakfast - good array of resturants to choose from , short stroll to beach (10 minutes) (Resort not Beach Front) Local bus into Sanya easy to catch from back of resort, no problems. Ample taxis on hand wherever you want to go. We are both in our 60's and had a superb time., with no problems.
Used local taxi for day trip to Monkey Island and fishing village. The Driver - He had very little English but Crowne Plaza staff told him where we wanted to go and fixed the price.
Also did a day tour to the Ethnic village - very interesting. All In All a great place to visit - we are planning another visit hopefully this year in 2010. Australians are yet to discover Hainan Island but we fully recommend a visit. 10/10 for The Crowne Plaza
Betty & Desmond Draper "Westbourne Farm" York Western Australia 6302

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

As a British Expat based in Hong Kong, Sanya was an obvious choice for a short-break, as it's just a short 1.5 hour flight away. My wife and I did our homework carefully (or so we thought) and chose the Crowne Plaza, which was rated Sanya's No.1 hotel on Tripadvisor at the time.

Our visit to the Crowne Plaza was a disappointing one and we ended up changing hotels (to the Hilton - a vastly superior establishment) after two nights. I would not return to the Crowne Plaza.

So what's wrong with the Crowne Plaza? To be fair, I would not describe as a terrible hotel, by any means. As several reviewers have pointed out, the rooms are quite spacious and well appointed. The rates charged are also competitive and at a discount to the true 5* luxury resorts down the road.

My gripe with the Crowne Plaza is that it simply doesn’t make the grade. Its an average hotel, with some considerable drawbacks. As a result, it compares poorly with most of the other 5* establishments in Sanya. Consider:

1) The hotel was built in 2005. This makes it (believe it or not), one of Sanya's older hotels. I believe the age is beginning to show, partly due to some below-par construction work and partly due to poor maintenance. For example, mainly of the fountains in the resort had not been cleaned properly and had moss/ weed growing in them. Paint was pealing from the ceiling of the attached shopping/dining complex. The shower in our room didn’t drain properly, causing water damage to a wall

2) Although the hotel's brochures state otherwise, the attached shopping/dining complex is fairly low-grade. The shops are not exclusive by any stretch of the imagination and are full of trinkets and general tourist tat. Although the food served in the restaurants will 'fill a hole', we found it uninspiring and over-priced for what it was. The restaurants seemed more geared to service passing Chinese tour groups. The whole complex was aimed at the mass-market and seemed to be a somewhat bizarre addition to what was supposed to be a 5* resort.

3) Sanya's beach is fantastic. It stretches for several miles and the sand is fine, approaching talcum in places. However, the Crowne Plaza has one of the smallest stretches of beach belonging to any hotel as was packed for the 2 days of our stay. It's certainly not a place to relax, made worse from the whoops and cheers from Chinese tour groups on the adjacent section. As several reviewers have pointed out, the hotel is not actually on the beach, necessitating a 5 min walk to get there. Contrast this with most of the hotels further down which are situated directly on the beach and where it's possible to enjoy a little peace on an un-crowded stretch of sand.

4) The Crown Plaza's pools are relatively small and seem to have been built on a budget. They were also almost deserted, as it seemed most people headed to the beach instead. They were also unheated, meaning the water was quite chilly when we stayed in late November (though it was still 24 degrees during the day).

5) The service was poor overall, particuarly in some of the restaurants. However, I think this is mainly down to inadequate training, rather than the fault of the staff, as many were very well meaning.

In conclusion, I have no idea how this hotel became No.1 rated on TripAdvisor, a rating which shakes my confidence in the reliability of this website. The Crowne Plaza is a distinctly below average hotel for Sanya and I would not recommend a stay there. I can only imagine it would appeal to people on a tight budget and who were looking for a bed for the night and not bothered about the facilities, or the beach. If so, why come to Sanya?

One final comment: Ive noticed a few reviews on here from fellow Brits, who seem to have travelled all the way from the UK to Sanya. My advice would be to consider why you are going very carefully? If you are travelling in anticipation of a Tropical Paradise, then dont go to Sanya. By all means, Sanya's nice. However, there are much better resorts elsewhere in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia that will provide a much better full-on tropical experience. Sanya's a developing resort in China, mainly frequented by the Chinese for a short-stay. For me (based in Hong Kong), it's the equivalent to travelling down to Cornwall for a long weekend. All very nice, though it'd rather be in the Med, if i had more time/ bigger budget.

For me, travelling to Sanya only makes sense as a short-stay destination for people based based in Asia, or for those seeking a few days of relaxation during a trip to the region. It's not a place i would travel half-way round the world to go to. And..... if it's Chinese culture you are after, dont bother with Sanya, as there's nothing much there. It's a new beach resort. Head to Beijing and the mainland proper. Happy Travels!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

Loved the hotel.
Room was massive,. Had a fab bathroom, lovely bath in the middle, then big shower and double sink. Balcony was nice with comfy seating.
The resort was massive, actually abit annoying at times as we kept geting lost!! A map would of been great. Breakfast was nice, abit smoky as other guests insisted on smoking (in no smoking sections!!) The beach is a short walk.....literally over a road. We appriciated the private beach as the next beach which was public.....looked like mayhem!! The pool areas were great, big double beds to sunbath on.
The service isnt great, but expected this in sanya with the language barrier.
Quite far from sanya city, but dont think this is bad.
Would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

Just came back from a quick, New Year's trip to Sanya. My husband and I had visited Sanya once before (and stayed at the Hilton). However, due to sky-high holiday rates, we opted for the Crowne Plaza, having read such positive reviews on this website and seeing the lovely pictures posted. First off, I am SHOCKED that this place is # 1 on TA. The service level here is woefully bad and the hotel grounds leave something to be desired. Nonetheless, I must admit the rooms are quite nice: huge bathrooms (with double sinks), plush towels, great shower (with decent water pressure) and comfy beds (we're used to the hard Asian beds, having lived in China for over a year now!).

Anyway, despite the nice rooms, the other aspects cannot go un-noted. First of all, I had called the hotel earlier in the morning to make sure we could get an early check-in. The woman on the phone (I should have gotten her name!) assured me this would not be a problem. However, upon check-in they told us it WAS a problem, and that we would have to wait a couple hours while they readied our room. Now, had the woman on the phone not told us it wouldn't be a problem, I would have been totally OK with this! But checking in and expecting a room to be ready when it's not is a little annoying!

Then, on the second night there, while getting ready for dinner, I heard strange crackling noises coming out from behind the bathroom mirror, when all of a sudden smoke wafted up from behind the mirror and a loud POP shorted out all the electricity in the room. Turns out a light fixture had blown out in the bathroom and we ended up waiting about half an hour for the maintenance guy to come and fix it. At some point, we received a phone call (from the General Manager, maybe?) asking if everything was OK. I told him no one was hurt, but it was quite a scare. He stated he would send a fruit plate for our troubles, but it never showed up! I hate broken promises. Furthermore, since the maintenanence guy made a bit of a mess (having to stand on the bathroom counter, dust and bits of concrete and miscellaneous stuff broken off), he told us he would call Housekeeping to help clean up the mess while we were out to dinner. However, when we got back to the room, everything looked exactly the same!

Finally, the decor of the hotel is a bit dated. While the rooms are nice, every where else is not. The common areas are all quite cheesy and the retail shops located in the hotel give it an overall low-class feeling. We rented a tandem bike to ride around, and it was so old and rusty, I almost didn't want to touch the thing. Furthermore, and most importantly, I had no idea the beach was located so far away from the actual hotel. You must cross the street and walk about 5-10 minutes to get to the Crowne Plaza's "private beach area". Which turns out is just a tiny slice of the beach, shared with all the numerous other hotels.

Overall, I was really disappointed with this resort. I will absolutely go back to the Hilton on my next trip to Sanya.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Huayu Resort and Spa Yanglong Bay Sanya? Share your experiences!