“A little piece of paradise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa

You added Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Yalong Bay National Resort District, Sanya 572000, China (Yalong Bay)   |
Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #10 of 1,167 Hotels in Sanya
Los Angeles, California
“A little piece of paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We decided to come here with our two year old toddler as an alternative to the typical China tours and it was the best decision made on this trip. This is the perfect place to vacation with little ones who will enjoy the many pools this hotel has to offer. It is located some distance from the airport and city, but once you get here, you won't want to leave. We enjoyed swimming and playing on the beach everyday. Since it is secluded, we ate at the hotel restaurants most of the time, which is more expensive than the city. There is a market and restaurant about 10 minutes walk from the hotel or you can catch a taxi to the nearest mini shopping area 百花谷 "Bai Hua Gu", which offers much more restaurant choices. The rooms here are very large with a huge tub and shower. A large balcony overlooks green grassy area and a beautiful view of the ocean, sunrise, and sunset. The breakfast buffet offered more than we could eat and service was excellent. Overall was an excellent experience if you are looking for a place like Hawaii closer to China.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Stephan S, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear LHYoung,
Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences at our Resort. We are very happy that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and that you had such a wonderful time at our pools and beach, while we are equally pleased that you enjoyed our other facilities and services. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort soon.
Best regards and thank you again for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

When I arrived I requested an upgrade based on my Hilton membership. I was told that we would recieve points but that was all. OK, no problem, so how much for an Ocean View that I thought I booked. I was told that I had partial Ocean view but could upgrade for only 200 RMB per night. OK again so what is my new total for what I thought I booked in the first place? Almost 1,000 RMB more per night !!! Why, well there were additional charges. I argued until translator was able to let them know that I would switch hotels. After 45 minutes to check in, they agreed to only 200 additional per night plus taxes. When I checked out on a Saturday morning, they had charged additional for my Friday stay. I get it but would have been nice if notified in the first place.

Only 2 choices to eat downstairs. Breakfast was included and was acceptable. I found Lunch and Dinner costs to be over priced for the meal. If you take taxi less than one mile, there are many choices at "bai hua vally". Little Lamb has great hot pot.

The pool is great. Service there was much better.

The ocean and sand is worth the trip.

Room was nice. Get ready to walk if you want this type of room "Ocean View". It is at the end of the hotel.

I just expected more from this Hotel. Hilton is known for customer service and this hotel is not like any other Hitlon I have visited. We called with problems in the room and were greeted by very nice people. Overall, I would not stay there again. Pool english, had to watch every charge, and fight for the correct pricing several times.

At the end, I just agreed with pricing and tried to enjoy my stay.

My suggestion to Hilton: First impression sets the mood. Do not promise an upgrade to suite for 500 RMB and then demand 600 RMB per night plus additional charges. If Ocean view is 200 more per night, then let customer know total charges that will be applied at the end if the stay. Ask if customer wants a smoking room so they will not need to move to a Non-smoking room after check in. Have a staff member that understands English, smiles and lets customer know they are welcomed to this beautiful resort. Rember that the customer will only get upset if they don't get what they are promissed. There is alot of competition in Sanya for our dollars. We want to relax and work when necessary. Wi Fi should be installed.

Room Tip: Must request Non-smoking if that is what you want. Ocean view is far from lobby but very nice. Lob...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The Hilton Sanya Resort and Spa is a 5 star resort experience in China. We stayed there for 7 nights just recently. Sanya reminded me of the resorts in Bali as there is one hotel next to the other. The Hilton is located in Yalong Bay on the nicest stretch of beach. As a Diamond member we were upgraded to an Oceanview Suite which was 2 seperate rooms with 2 plasma televisions. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet, the view is beautiful overlooking the 6 lagoon swimming pools and the ocean. The staff do not speak alot of English but we were assigned an english speaking assistant and really the hotel did everything to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. Sanya is only 1 hour flight from Hong Kong and after our 2 weeks business trip in China it was a much needed relaxing break. The rooms are very big and our suite had a huge round bath and shower in front of our bed that overlooked the balcony with views over the pools and ocean. If you are looking for a hotel in Sanya, this is the one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

The structure is pretty, beautiful lagoon pool but the rooms are quite old and not functional. The breakfast is very good, the restaurant serve excellent food but like everything in this resort from water to sandwitch are absurdely expensive. The service is too much slow and nobody speaks an accettable english.
The beach is beautiful but limited.

• Stayed August 2012
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed at beach front ocean view room (2F) for 2 nights. Hilton Sanya is a huge resort with beatiful beach and swimming pools. This resort should be quite popular in Sanya so there were many guests (especially during the breakfast time). Good foods from various restuarants.

Online pre-requests (adaptor & higher floor room) to the hotel were mere puff as they were not provided to me at the time of my arrival at 3:00pm. Lower-floor beach front ocean view room offers a confined sea view only (pls see photos). The room is big enough but the bath room equipments were not well maintained (especially of water tap & shower head).

I spend almost 20-25 min for check-out (included queuing time). Details of the bill were correct, so I did not know why it took so long time to proceed for check-out. Staffs were working hard but lack of interaction with guests (no smile & no greet).

Pros: Beautiful beach with very fine sand (great wave makes swimming not easy); a lot of sea sport activities nearby; Very big & fine swimmming pools. The resort is good for family travellers but not for couple expecting getaway vocation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephan S, General Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Dear Leung0712,
thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences during your recent stay with us. I am happy to read that your overall impression of the Resort was very positive and that you enjoyed your time relaxing around the swimming pools and at the beach. I also sincerely appreciate your observations in areas were we still need to improve and I have discussed these shortcomings with our Operations Team Members to ensure that this will happen.
I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Resort when your travels will bring you back to Sanya and like to thank you again for having chosen to stay with us.
If I can be of any assistance in future please do not hesitate to let me know.
Best regards
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This resort, and it really does qualify as a resort due to its size, is huge. It consists of 9 buildings of rooms all of which vary between 3 and 5 floors.

Check in was impressive, with 2 staff members assisting me, and the English spoken by Apple, the girl handling the check in was also very good. She was most helpful. The room, facing the pool was amazing, as it was on the 4th floor in building 8, and had superb views over the whole pool and gardens and across to the beach and sea.

It was beautifully appointed, with an open plan bathroom, large soaker tub and a shower also overlooking the view if wanted! Really a lovely room. However I was a bit disappointed that the extra pillow and the adapter that I have pre-requested were not in the room. No mention was made of them either.

However, the first afternoon there showed a few of the issues that I was unhappy about and which to my mind ruined an otherwise stunning resort.

Although there are signs asking people not to spit in the pool, they are obviously not heeded in the least, nor enforced. In fact I was relaxing in a beautiful cabana beside the lap pool, when right in front of me 2 men not only cleared their throats and spat the results multiple times into the pool, but decided that that was the right place to blow their noses, right into the pool as well. It was actually worse than disgusting, from a North American point of view.

A staff member was close by and watched and heard this happening over the space of a few minutes, but did nothing to ask him to stop. Having been well travelled in China, I know that this is quite normal in some situations, but in what is obviously set up as an international ‘5 star’ resort, I am sorry but I do not want to see this, or indeed expect it. That was the last time I used that pool.

Fortunately the lagoon pool is huge, beautiful and for some reason did not attract anyone at all, although it is obviously the nicest of the pools, with little sand beaches, quiet corners, and tons of character. My advice though is stick to the beach, which is very beautiful.

Unfortunately, this was the theme for the whole 5 days I was there. Apparently some of these big resorts do not take bookings from local people and I can only assume that it is for this type of reason, and I have heard many stories about how rooms have been left almost trashed by locals.

Even thought the resort was quite quiet, there were many people I saw who were also bothered by loud, obnoxious obviously very wealthy locals, presumably business men. A big shame as it spoiled the whole atmosphere for me as well as many others who were also trying to enjoy the peace and quiet.

There seemed to be absolutely no respect for either the resort, or other guests enjoyment, and for me spoiled the whole place. I was on 2 occasions woken up at around 2.30am when the neighbors started having a party. Complaining was not even understood, let alone acted upon.

The Chinese restaurant food was OK, although enormously expensive compared to anything I have encountered in China before, even comparing to high end restaurants I have eaten in. I also got food poisoning that night as a result of this meal and was sick the whole night and much of the next day. Price wise it would even have been a very expensive meal in North America.

Actually I found all the restaurants including all drinks incredibly overpriced for China, and having just stayed at a resort in Sanya Bay, I did have something to compare to. I did find the local small supermarket up the road where I bought fruit and beer, so I have to say the Hilton did not get my drinks business. I don’t see that 118RMB (around US$18) is even close for a plain hot dog!

Would I stay here again? Probably not, even though it was outwardly a beautiful relaxing, stunning environment. I think that I would probably not spend the US$550 plus per night to have the stay ruined. Fortunately I used Hilton Honors points for this stay.

Having said that, the beach was amazing, although the beach bar that was advertised was not there, the water is warm, clean and safe for families. Not much to do here in the evenings as the resort is quite a distance from anything.

Also various things like the in room safe didn’t work properly even after asking for it to be repaired. The electrical sockets are not international friendly, and no adaptors are supplied. There is a distinct lack of bottled water, although 2 small bottles are supplied every day, this is not nearly enough. They will of course sell you more, at a price. Buy from the local store up the road!

The air conditioning would not go below around 25 degrees C (about 80F). However, a bonus is the DVD player in the room though, even though it is well hidden!

Room Tip: Pool view room on 4th floor, building 8 was wonderful. Ask to be somewhere quiet, unless you like no...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Dear MikeGB2,
Thank you very much for taking time to share with us your experiences during your recent stay with us. I am encouraged that you overall liked our Resort location, facilities and accommodations and that you enjoyed the warm welcome our team members extended to you. We are indeed very fortunate to have such great employees as Apple working in our team and I will certainly share your kind words with her. I also do appreciate you sharing with us issues you encountered that did not make you feel comfortable. Your feedback will definitely help us improve in our aim to strive for excellence and for taking great care of all of our guests. I have discussed your specific observations with our team members to ensure that we address each situation with confidence in future and ensure that disturbences such as you encountered are addressed with other guests effectively. I am very sorry to read that you feel that your meal in our Chinese Restaurant caused you to be unwell. We certainly would have liked to follow this up immidiately with you and ensure that the appropriate care could be extended to you in such a situation.
While I understand that pricing might sometimes be perceived as expensive as it changes from location to location, I would like to ensure you that our Resort prices are in line with charges of hotels within the same category in Sanya. The beach bar you mentioned unfortunately had been recently relocated while being extended to become our Beach Cafe, now located next to the water sports activities area. Thank you for pointing out to us that some of the advertising materials and Resort layout plans still show an old location. We will follow this up to ensure it is corrected as soon as possible.
Thank you for choosing our Resort for your stay in Sanya and once again my sincerest apologies for any unpleasant situation you experienced during your time with us. We hope that dispite this and other shortcomings you encountered we will have the opportunity to welcome you and extend our hospitality to you again also in future when your travels will bring you back to Hainan Island.
kind regards
Beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We moved from DC to Beijing in January and were immediately told we should book a getaway to escape the city. We had three criteria: we wanted a short flight, a beach and we wanted to use Hilton points. We were nervous about staying in China, and some of the previous reviews reinforced this worry, but our visit was incredible. The property is spectacular, and because we got the upgrade we requested we ended up in a two-room suite with two balconies and amazing views of Yalong Bay. We stayed for 4 days and never left the resort. We were told by hotel management that the hotel was about half full, which meant that there was hardly ever anyone in the restaurant and we pretty much had the pools to ourselves. Service was, at times, excruciatingly slow, but we didn't have anywhere to be and the staff were all so friendly it was hard to be bothered. We really appreciated all of the efforts that Ivy, who I think managed the restaurants, made to accommodate us. We were also very impressed by Kevin, who worked in the Big Kitchen restaurant and the La La Bar. Our biggest disappointment was that the Kids' Club charged 50 kuai an hour, which was a surprise, but still reasonable. We would love to go back for a visit, but will definitely stick to the low season!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Stephan S, General Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear QuartCourt
Thank you very much for taking time to share with us your experiences during your stay at our Resort and for your kind words on the services provided by some of our team members. We are indeed very fortunate to have great team members such as Ivy and Kevin working with us. I am very happy that you and your family had an overall very comfortable and enjoyable time in Sanya. Your feedback on areas were you feel that we can improve have been well received and disussed with our team members. Your comments have been indeed very helpful to us in our continued strive for excellence.
Thank you again for sharing your experiences with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort.
Kind regards
Stephan Stoss

Been to Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!