“It Depends” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Sanya Bay

You added Holiday Inn Resort Sanya Bay to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Sanya Bay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Haipo Tourism Resort Area, Sanya Bay Road, Sanya 572000, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #29 of 1,172 Hotels in Sanya
Zhangjiagang, China
“It Depends”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

I picked this hotel because of the Holiday Inn brand name. There are really only two reasons I rate this hotel as average. 1) The hotel is basically in the middle of nowhere. Their are other hotels around and a few streets nearby where, if you like seafood, you have many choices. There are also some shops where you can get a few snacks, but for everything else like shopping or nightlife, at least a 30rmb taxi ride-which is not bad if you are only going once or twice, but if you are like me, and want to be out and about, that gets a bit expensive. Plus, you have to negotiate that price as, seemingly, all of the taxi meters are "broken" In all actuality, if they ran by the meter, the ride is right at 25 rmb from the hotel to the Walking Street. I negotiated a fare and noticed the meter running, so I took note of the amount, and when I arrived at the hotel did the math and discovered the 25rmb price. I did not bother to argue with the cab driver. But, if you can, and you know the way to where you want to go, try to get the driver to run the meter

2) The hotel refused to take my debit card for the deposit, which was very inconvenient. The debit card was from Communications Bank and had the Union Pay logo, which is accepted nearly everywhere in China. By refusing to take my card, this meant that I had to pay for everything as I went. (which probably saved me money in the long run). Funny thing is, they gladly accepted my debit card upon check in to pay for my room for the week.

Overall, the hotel is very clean, although, the shower stall could use a bit more attention as a bit of mildew was beginning to build up in the corners. The staff was very attentive, and accommodating. I would also recommend the bicycle rental as a way of getting out and exploring the city.

The pool and the beaches are very clean and beautiful. In fact, the beach all along the Sanya coastline was very beautiful and picturesque. I was sick the last 3 days there so I did not get an opportunity to try some of the beachfront activities like the jet ski or banana boat ride, or trips to the various islands.

So, if you like to be away from the hustle and bustle, this hotel would be a good place to stay and a good value for the money. But, if you want to be nearer to the action, pick a place closer to the city center.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
hong kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Hotel OK. Walking about Sanya I saw a notice in a bar advertising a game of beach cricket on the next saturday. I went , it was on the beach in Sanya Bay near the Casa Mia restaurant. Great bunch of mad expats who made me welcome and I had a great day out , loads of fun. They play once a month so if you fancy a laugh go along. Look out for notices in the local bars.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn with several friends recently. A few comments below:

1. It took us 2 hours to check-in as the room was not ready (yet the issue was that we were repeatedly told by the check-in desk that it would be ready in 30 mins, 15 mins, etc.). This wasted 2 hours of time that we could otherwise have spent elsewhere (if we had been given an accurate perception).

2. The manager, in seeing our grievances, offered us a complimentary fruit basket. Great, but it did not appear for 2 days, only after we asked THREE times did it finally appear (and a paltry fruit basket it was). We were annoyed on a matter of principle - is this how guests should be treated?

3. Beware of recommendations by the "concierge" (there isn't really an official concierage, though, more like a concierage/cab-caller). I think they may receive commission or something, because we were given several recommendations that did not pan out at all/information that was actually erroneous. Seek other sources of info!

4. Mountainview really was a little noisy in the morning from traffic. It was okay for us beause we were pretty exhausted.

5. Overall, despite all the above, it was good value for our money and a decent location, beach, breakfast. Would I stay again? Not sure, but I don't regret it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

We arrived at this hotel late at night, and after a hectic week of sightseeing, was looking forward to the relaxation. We had booked a deluxe mountai view, something I had been so looking forward to, as this to me conjured peace, quite and seclusion. Our rep, then checking us in said "oh these room are noisy, there's a main road directly outside". At this my heart sank. He wasn't wrong. Not only is there a main road, but also a field, followed by the airpoirt - and the mountains in the distance! The windows are only single glazed, so yes - the room was noisy. I would advise booking a sea view. After getting over this disapointment though, I cannot fault the hotel. The rooms are lovely and clean, the public areas bright and welcoming, and the pool area is fantastic! Small windy paths through grassed areas, and secluded bathing areas. You have to try the Garra Ruffa fish - do it later in the day, or when it's overcast, as the water gets pretty warm! The beach and beach bar are across a not too busy road, with hammocks to relax in. I wasn't overly impressed with Sanya town, and signs in hotel warned of pickpockets, but we didn't have any trouble, so it's worth a look around. All of the hotel staff are friendly, although a few of them shied away from us, as I think their english wasn't too good. The only other downside was the hard mattresses - but we found this everywhere in China.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Slovenija
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

The hotel is really very nice . When you come to very spacey lobby you will feel like in Egypt . Check in is very quick and always very friendly . We stayed in Club Floor and the room was really very spacey and huge . The hotel pools and very nice garden just invite u by it self - to be there and to relax . Breakfast served downstairs in the main restaurant is also very nice and very good tasty . We enjoyed the stay here and feel us - same as in paradise . We advise to take room that is facing the sea . At morning you will have very nice view and at evening you can enjoy the sun sunset at your balcony . Hotel is very close to airport , just behind the street .The beach there is also very nice and the sea is very nice .

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I just came back from Sanya and can say that the hotel exceeded my expectations. I booked the summer promo package (666 rmb per night) which included breakfast and round trip transport from airport.

Before we even arrived, I was very satisfied with the service. It was my gf's birthday and I emailed the hotel to see if they can help me prepare a cake and flowers upon arrival. I received a reply within 24 hours and even had a follow up phone call from the hotel staff. They were able to help me ready some flowers and gave us a complimentary birthday cake! The cake was not very good, but that's beside the point. =)

When we arrived, there was a driver at the airport waiting for us. Our flight got delayed, so we didn't arrive at the hotel until 3am, so we didn't have to wait during check in. When we got up to the room, the flowers and cake were in there waiting for us. I was quite impressed by the service.

We had an oceanview room on the 5th floor right in the middle of the hotel so the view of the pool and ocean was fantastic! The rooms were very big and the bathroom was very spacious as well. The bed was a little hard and the water pressure in the shower was a little weak. Overall, the room was very nice...and most importantly very, very clean.

While we were there, it wasn't very busy so staff were readily available wherever we went. All the staff were very friendly and some even spoke English. To get to the beach, you have to go to the back of the hotel and cross a little street. The beach was quite nice, better than I expected. The beach was quite empty, so there was lots of room available....not sure during busy times.

The room service food was much better than expected. It was very good in fact. We ate a lot at the hotel because of this. They had excellent Hainan Chicken rice, pizza, sandwiches, fries. We mainly ate from the Marina Cafe. The price was quite reasonable for hotel room service (48 rmb - 68 rmb; plus 15% s/c). The only thing to avoid on the menu is the burger. It was dry and did not taste like beef! The breakfast was the standard China hotel breakfast....not excellent, but not bad either.

There is a shuttle bus that comes once a day at 1:30pm and takes you into the city. There are many shops around there and even a souvenir street. It comes back at 4:40pm, but if you want to stay, you can take a taxi back (30 rmb). If you take a private car, make sure you don't pay more than 40 rmb to get to the city centre. Go to the back street and catch a taxi there. There is nothing in the area for at least 1km, so at night, we could only order room service if we were hungry.

Overall, I would rate my stay at this hotel (based on the amount paid) 9.5 out of 10. My gf and I were very satisfied and happy with our stay there and we would definitely go back. The hotel was friendly, very clean, quiet at night and well exceeded our expectations. Thank you for the memorable stay!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I have just returned from a tour of China which ended with a 4 night stay at this hotel. The accommodation was booked via Kuoni.
Firstly the check in was a nightmare it took forever with the hotel requesting a 1000 yuan (£100) deposit on the room. I have never experienced this before, their credit card reader was not working and I did not have the cash to pay this so I was told to return in the morning to pay the deposit. Later that evening when trying to settle my bar bill I was told I could not charge this to my room because I had not paid the room deposit! Another heated discussion followed in which I reminded them that this was not my fault and so reluctantly they allowed me to make the charge to my room.
The room itself was very good, spacious, well equipped and clean, it was described as having a mountain view. This was being economical with the truth. The mountains could be seen in the distance but between the hotel and the mountains was a waste land used for dumping building material and more importantly the airport. In addition building work was being carried quite close to our room. I complained to the manager about this who offered to change my room for a pool view.
The pool itself was nice, however, several of the amenities attached to the pool (spa jets, pool bar) were not in use and there were only about half a dozen mattresses for around 20 sun beds, and believe me the beds were very hard without a mattress. We did wander down to the beach front that was run by the hotel but found this uninviting and poorly organised not like some of the adjacent hotels.
Then there was meal times. The Marina cafe was supposed to serve "global favourites", however everything we asked for we were told it was off thus there was no salmon, no tuna and they ran out of chicken and even pizzas. On the last night we struggled to find anything on the menu we could order. Not very impressive for a 4 star hotel. One night we tried the Beach Bar, which according to the adverts in the hotel served a range of BBQ food. Our experience was they were cooking a few kebabs for anyone who had the courage to order them.
Finally it came to check out time and again it took a local guide from Kuoni to convince the staff that I had by this time paid my room deposit and had settled my bill satisfactorily.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Sanya Bay? Share your experiences!