“Not worth the money” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

When my travel companion and I arrived, the Chinese hostess, who spoke English with a faux Italian accent, said that the restaurant was undergoing reservations, so they were serving a limited menu. There were four tables in the courtyard and the place had been recommended by a former colleague, so we gave it a try. We ordered a Greek salad, bread with cheese and mushrooms, lasagna and a filet in red wine sauce. Also, we ordered a glass of red and a glass of white wine. For some reason, the hostess felt the need to show me the wine on display inside the restaurant, which I thought was strange.

The salad arrived and it was fresh and tasty. Shortly, thereafter, the bread arrived with mushrooms and cheese. The bread was burned, which I didn't particularly like. About a 20 minutes later, My companion's lasagna arrived, and it was also burned on the edges. She took two or three bites and considered it to be inedible. When I asked where my steak was, the hostess got a little uppity with me, and it arrived 20 minutes later. The quality of the meat I was served was not to my liking, so I too took 2 or 3 bites. As we waited 15 minutes for our check, the hostess played with the screaming children at the two nearby tables. Mosquitoes nearly ate us alive before we finally got our 600 RMB bill. The owner/chef never once stopped by our table to ask us how the food was, but he did so for others.

Overall, this place should be closed for renovations instead of making a half-baked attempt at robbing people for second rate Italian fare.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

China
“guests thrown out by patron - never again!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Can not rate the food as we were thrown out by the owner himself because of our kids - we just ordered food together with another visiting family, 4 adults and 2 kids age group 4 years - kids are well edjucated and live in China / hotels for many years, restaurant garden was empty so nobody was disturbed . . . later we heard the owner does not allow children inside his restaurant anyway . . .normal Italian place, but never in 20 years of travelling seen such a rude behaviour. no further comments

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Best authentic Italian pizza in Sanya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

I'm Italian and I've eaten pizza for 20 years (both in Italy and China) so I can tell you that Marco Polo's is excellent. Tasty, with resh ingredients and so big and thick that you're going to have a difficult time in finishing eating one by yourself. Mixed salad was also very good and Espresso rich in flavor and taste.
Food is reasonably priced. We paid 290 RMB for 2 salads, 2 pizzas, 2 Espresso and mineral water.
Service was quite slow even though there were just the two us, so be sure to order some good appetizers first.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Best Italian Food in China...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Seriously, this has got to be the best Italian restaurant in China - and there are some other good ones even in Sanya, but this is seriously authentic, rich, flavorful, full-bodied Italian food in a romantic villa setting with amazingly affordable prices.
They've got a beautiful outdoor courtyard off the main streets which provides a quaint setting for reading and having coffee or a afternoon snack - and the appetizers and entres always leave me stuffed.
Good wine. Good service. Good Atmosphere.

Visited July 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
“Best place in Sanya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

it is located at the top of a building where you can not imagine to find a restaurant. We loved the food and the waiters were very helpful trying to understand us with our little Chinese

Visited July 2011