“Excellent - lovely hotel - great staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort

You added The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort to your Saves list
The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yalong Bay National Resort District, Sanya 572016, China   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Kayak Exploration Package
Ranked #23 of 1,167 Hotels in Sanya
4.0 of 5 stars 97 Reviews
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent - lovely hotel - great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Travelled from London via Hong Kong with our 14 year old son in July. Stayed for a week. Never been to Sanya before and we don't speak Mandarin. Staff at hotel couldn't have been nicer or looked after us better. We had a lovely butler, Sherley. Room was lovely - ocean view. Hotel grounds are huge and beautifully looked after. Swimming pools were great fun. One is a family pool with slides. Other is an infinity pool looking out to sea. Food was great especially at Decanter, where we had an amazing meal. Buffets at Social and Driftwood were also excellent -very high standard and wide selection. Beach and beach bar good. We left the hotel twice. Once to go to local town and the other to go to Ritz Carlton for dinner next door - which was also good. I used the spa - very good - comparable to anything in London or NYC. As a family we have stayed at Fairmont in Maui several times and St Regis Sanya is in the same league. St Regis delivered exactly what we wanted, a lovely relaxing family holiday; good facilities, lots to do and great food. Thanks to all the staff at St Regis Sanya.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better ocean view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Honoured Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review, we hope that you had a pleasant return journey.

We are delighted to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed our room, swiming pools and foods, we have conveyed your compliments to all the staff members and they are certainly pleased to see that their efforts are so well appreciated.

Your valuable feedback is important to ensure that we continually deliver the ultimate experience St. Regis is renowned for and exceed your expectations for future visits. Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and looking forward to welcoming you back.

St. Regis Butler Service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Indonesian first
Sanya, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife, two children and I booked one week at the St. Regis, Sanya for annual vacation. We do not get much holiday time, so we wanted a great room with a full Ocean View to enjoy ourselves.
The staff at St. Regis are very friendly and try to be helpful, but their hands are tied to a property that simply does meet global standards of a five star hotel as a result of management and the property itself. There is a lot of lip service to trying to be helpful, but really slow action to remedy issues. The website also falsely represents the rooms. This is a serious problem as having stayed at St. Regis around the globe I have never seen complete and utter false representation of rooms. Here are the facts of our stay:
1. check in staff very nice, but not properly trained to use credit card system. As a result check in took 20 minutes with staff keep asking for another credit card saying mine was declined. Eventually she figured out to check us in using the card provided;
2. We reserved Royal Villa which was confirmed in writing as "Full Ocean View". The first room provided had highly obstructed ocean view and full view of marina. They changed our room, but it was not a full Ocean View, but partial. None of the Royal Villa's have Full Ocean View as advertised on the Starwood website. The picture they post on the website cannot exist or was taken before the Marina was constructed that now obstructs the view. None of the staff seem to think this is important. Although the hotel charges for this room 10,000 RMB about USD $1,600 per night. All the staff just laugh when I tell them this and they all confirm "yes sir it is not full ocean view".
3. When we checked in the floors were very dirty. I took a small white cloth and wiped it on the floor and it came back black. The hotel remedied this when they changed our room.
4. The first morning we want to the breakfast buffet at 9:30 am. I called the hotel to service the room while we were gone. We arrived at the only restaurant for breakfast and lined up until 10:20 for a table. I have never had to line up at a St. Regis or for that matter any Starwood property for breakfast. The buffet is simply very very average.
5. Each Buffet table also has an off putting sign. Everyone has their choice about helping people around the world in various financial circumstances, but St Regis seems very sanctimonious with these words: "There are still many people suffering from hunger all over the world. Please be considerate when taking food from the buffet..."
6. I had requested to check out early simply because it seems rather shocking to reserve a full ocean view and not get what was reserved, but there is no manager that will take responsibility for changing our reservation and the duty managers say you cannot check out early. Every manager that has talked to me says "I don't have the authority to change your reservation". They keep saying we will do anything we can to make your stay enjoyable, but they cannot or will not simply give us the room we reserved as it simply does not exist at this hotel. Normally if you sell something and you know you cannot provide it this is a fraudulent misrepresentation under the law. A serious matter in the Western World.
7. the hotel has many renovations going on currently. Behind our room a backhoe ran all day on our arrival. The main swimming pool is pulled apart in a key corner and dirt and debris from the renovation spill into the pool. As a result the main swimming pool is not clean.
All in all this property seems to have friendly staff, but they do not deliver at all what they promise and seem more concerned about securing payment than really providing the level of service and quality that St. Regis brand stands for. I would suggest it be rebranded Sheraton 4 Points , barely qualifies however.

Room Tip: Royal Villa are not full ocean view. They view to the Marina.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Honored Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete the review regarding your recent stay, we hope that you had a pleasant return journey.

We are concerned that you have left with such a negative feeling about our resort and we sincerely regret that we have failed to meet your expectations. We have noted your comments regarding the check in process, view of royal villa and breakfast experience. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we want our guests to experience and we can fully understand your disappointment concerning the same, the immediate action has been taken to remedy this shortfall which you experienced and to avoid recurrence of the same in the future.

For the view of Royal Villa, it is effected due to the growth of plants in the garden, we are so sorry about the inconvenience caused in this matter, but please rest assured that the image on our branded website is realistic, we have looked into the matter and will update the images regularly.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you in the future and certainly hope that your next stay will be as amazing as the last.

Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very nice stay! Hotel locates in a relatively quiet area ... very friendly staff offering great service ... not bad restaurant choices for western food! Definitely a better choice if noise acceptance is low!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Honoured Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review. We hope that you had a pleasant return journey.

We are so happy to learn that you had a flawless stay with us and we really appreciate your kind feedback regarding our services and facilities. We have conveyed your compliments to all the staff members and they are certainly pleased to see that their efforts are so well appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your positive feedback and we would like to take this opportunity to invite you back to the beautiful resort agian.

Allow Me
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I spent the weekend at the St. Regis in Sanya in late May, 2013. It was such a wonderful break from a multi-week business trip throughout China. To start, the service was fantastic. From hotel entry, check-in, gold member upgrade, and throughout the weekend, I was remembered and treated as I would expect from any global St. Regis. In particular, the GSM, Charles Li, who aided me on check in was attentive and efficient. He made sure I was all set for a late check out as well as car service back to the airport, in addition to showing me to my room. The service only got better from there- I was greeted and remembered at the restaurant, Social, and had very special service, such as the kitchen sourcing some tofu to modify dishes to vegetarian ones to suite my needs. Fresh, cold towels were abundant to refresh. The ocean and the pool swimming were both great. I had a lagoon room right on the pool, which although it not a private plunge pool was fantastic. room design and service was relaxing and all that one could want. Special thanks as well to the service at Social: Son Ngyuen took care of us each time we were at the restaurant, and I could tell the similar service was being provided to a family of four near me and other guests.

Room Tip: I highly suggest the lagoon rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Honoured Guest,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed the stay with us. We have conveyed your compliments to all the staff members and they are certainly pleased to see that their efforts are so well appreciated.

On behalf of Charles Li and all of our staffs, we highly appreciate your feedback, hoping to welcome you back again!

Allow me,
hong kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I feel this hotel has very good hardware, facility and potential to be a true 6 star hotel but management needs to really conduct good training and manage it well.
I am a SPG gold member and I had emailed to the hotel pre-arrange for an upgrade. The communication was great and we were told to upgrade to a non-smoking ocean view room. The checkin was slower than what I expected but no big deal. The butler ecorted us to the room on the 6th floor west wing (I believe east wing is still ready for guests). The room was definitely facing the ocean but the trees block 95% of the view so I only see very little water. Although I was upgraded instead of paying for ocean view but to me it wasn't an ocean view so we asked the butler to check whether they have a room in higher floor. After more than 30 mins, butler came back to took us to the 8th floor which is a true ocean view. Thanks. About the butler, is a young lady who is nice but she could really do better than just giving up general info about the switches in the room but should go beyond and shared about the facility or events...like the free happy hour which we completely missed. We brought in just one suitcase and the butler said she can help us unpack but I need to help her to lift it up in the closet. I didn't mind doing that...but she is a butler, so shouldn't her be capable of performing such task? She gave us her card and number and said we can contact her anytime but we tried contacting her a couple times but never been able to reach her and she was never seen even our checked out. So the butler service wasn't personalized, I felt it was just a regular hotel bell service as everytime there is a different butler answers the phone and come up to my room and didn't know my names. I stayed in a St Regis in Osaka before and I had the same butler the entire stay and it was very personalized. Butler also didn't use the little compartment to drop off stuff and they always knocked on the door. I thought that is what that little compartment is for so they do not bother the guest to open the door if it's unconvenient. 2 hours after we got our room, a staff knocks on our door and in 3 sec, he opened the door and asked us, what time are you checking out??? I was like what? I just checked in...don't you guys communicate?
The room is nice and roomy with a good size balcony and I have no complaints about that. At around 11:30pm, I got a call and said I left my credit card in the checkin counter....well, it was you who didn't return it and I didn't realize and I wasn't sure why they needed 12 hrs to discover that.
There are two main pools but one of them is closed or never opened yet..The other pool is very nice and we really enjoyed it and it wasn't very crowded. The breakfast food variety is good but quality is average as as some of the reviewers stated it can get full and you need to wait. There was one morning, 4 mens were smoking inside and all the staff simply walked by and ignored and only Candy, she always had great smile and good service, went to that table and asked the guests to stop smoking.
I went to the gym which as a big disappointed because it is such a large hotel but they do not even have any free weights....I do not recall any Starwood hotels I have been to did not have free weights...why?
They have a mini theatre there but you need to pay something like USD 3X per ticket and I thought it was too deep, even booking for a tennis court was like over 200RMB per hour which is again too deep.
The beach is average as it wasn't all that cleaned but acceptable. It wasn't busy whenever we went which was great.
We tried both the chinese restaurant and seafood, they both had good food and some food was surprisingly good so I recommend you try them. There is a fresh restaurant called Decanter where there are only 4 tables but it's always empty. We were there 2 nights to have a look and nobody was eating there and we were told if we can eat there for food from the other western restaurant. So last night, I went to the western restaurant next to Decanter and request to eat at Decanter but that staff said you cannot but as soon as we told them Decanter staff said it's ok, then immediately she said ok....I am not sure why she didn't want us to eat at Decanter in the beginning. We ordered our food appetizier and main course but the main course came before the appetizier which is already wrong. I ordered a glass of wine and the staff there poured like tiny tear drops out from the bottle. The staff there is actually nice and politely as we talked to her and I got the impression that she wasn't properly trained and she is just an intern from a university. I was surprised she was pretty much the only staff in Decanter and there is no more senior staff to lead this poor young lady. I told her appetizer should come before main course and she said she was trained to pour 150ml per glass and I asked her do u think u gave me 150ml but she had no idea. I hope the F&B can provide more training to the staff there.
One afternoon we asked the hotel staff to take a cab to the nearest mall but we were immediately guided to take a car ( not a cab) and it costs 20RMB. The car ride was like 5 mins and on the way return, Taxi fare was half at 10RMB. I am not complaining to pay the extra 10RMB but when I asked for a cab, why they put me into that car and without providing options to taxi and there was a taxi waiting there?
When I checked out, I got the bill and they charged me for WIFI but during check-in, I told them I wanted free WIFI as welcome gift so that is a mistake and they again forgot to return my credit card but this time I purposely waited and not until I asked for it, they didn't return it.
Overall, it's a nice hotel and we know it will be improved and hopefully soon as I do want to go back. I think management really need to take a hard look at the training. Also I would like to know when is the other pool going to be opened?

Room Tip: highest floor in west wing is 8th so if you want a true ocean view, then do not go lower.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Honored Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review regarding your recent stay at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort. We hope that you had a pleasant return journey.

Please allow us to take all points what you mentioned and allow us to look into the areas where we have failed to meet your expectation especially for the training of staffs, and please also accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect, this is certainly not the level of quality we want our guests to experience and we can fully understand your disappointment.

For the main pool, we closed it temporary due to it was enhancing, we are adding a water slide for this pool, we are so sorry for the inconvenience and it will be opened at end of June.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our qualities. Please be rest assured we will do our best to imporve all the points what you mentioned. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you in the future and certainly hope that your next stay will beyond your expectation.

Hangzhou, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Our family had a short holiday break in this rather new hotel. I had not visited any St.Regis for very long time. We had partial sea view on 6th floor. This was my 6th trip to Sanya since 2004.

Let’s get the pros and cons of St.Regis.

The pros:
-Spacious bathroom (good materials)
-Excellent western breakfast (great food quality >> omelet, sausages, mackerel, smoked salmon, muffins, danish, fresh fruits, juices, espresso all were spot on)
-Very good service at breakfast (polite, personal & fast). As an example on 2nd day I could not find any smoked salmon, but this was arranged very quickly. Omelet was delivered directly to table
-Room is ok, but nothing spectacular
-No wear and tear so far
-Hotel itself is in good condition.
-View on Yalong bay is ok

The cons:
-Slow check in took quite long despite it was otherwise not busy. Welcome in general was ok, but not overly friendly. We were not offered any drinks.
-Bathroom ventilation could be better
-When we arrived our room smelt bit damp
-After check-in they could not tell where our room is located
-Biggest con of all >> Main swimming pool was closed during our entire stay
-Butler service was not introduced
-TV picture was not good (BBC, CNN and especially HBO)
-No mango at breakfast
-Couple of times breakfast room was pretty full and some local guests were diverted to their Chinese restaurant (assume with high occupancy they must make permanent split)
-I waked up once for loud sounds when they were cutting the lawn (this was way before 8am)
-Food prices are not low (we preferred to eat cheap & tasty seafood in Sanya city)

Beach:
Swimming area is small, but fully ok. I was the lone swimmer. Beach is ok to play with kids, sea is not that rough & it does not deepen very quickly. During late afternoons lots of algae washed onshore. Therefore when entering water, it might be bit hard to spot some occasional stones (very few). Nearby water jets did disturb me a bit. Large part of the beach in front of hotel is not swimmable due to rocks. This area did have some bottles and plastic bags. I think hotel should clean it daily. Beach has life guard. They arrange all sort of watersports activities (Kayak, skidoo etc.)

Pools:
Main pool was closed. It was cordoned off with advertisements. See my pictures. We had to go to their smaller pool. We called reception and asked what is going on with their main pool, they were clueless, but said not aware when it might be open. We asked this couple of times without any clear answer. Local driver told me that they had to do some repair work with main pool due to earlier problems. We used mainly their infinity pool near the beach. This pool is pretty nice. On both sides it has children’s swimming area. Pool had lot of children. View from the pool to the sea is great. As some others have pointed, when you watch from the beach towards the pool, you can people’s bodies in water very clearly. They have life guards, but I spotted few occasions they were not 100% on it.

Other guests:
Mainly well to do Chinese. Some kids were pretty loud. Hotel had lot of children. The few westerners were mainly Russians. All well behaving.

Architecture:
You either like it or not. Bit controversial. Old style interior and rooms, but rather modern hotel buildings itself.

Transportation:
We can manage well by using local taxis. Hotel was pushing us to use the black cars with inflated prices like 120 kuai one way to Sanya bay. Taxis do these days use meter, so fairs are cheaper now vs. few years ago. One way to Sanya cost around 65 kuai. On our final evening we were told we better call taxi ourselves, if we are not interested taking the 120 kuai black car offered by hotel staff. We did that.

Improvement ideas:
-Obviously keep your main swimming pool open
-Clean the beach in front of St.Regis (i.e. not just the area reserved for swimming)
-Add mango and sushi for breakfast
-Room cleaning times should be earlier than late afternoon
-Add some more flowers to hotel area
-Fix the TV (satellite) picture quality
-Keep training your personnel, service level is not yet on expected (high) St.Regis level

Other tips:
-Seafood dinner in Sanya city can cost below RMB 200 (2 adults including beer). Good places are e.g. Mingrun & Laishifu on Hexi rd (near Mingzhu guangchang). I have eaten several times during last few years. I enclose couple of pictures. You come these places to enjoy cheap & good seafood. Restaurants itself are very basic with plastic tables, chairs etc.

Final comments:
Would I stay here again? Maybe not, unless I would stay in villa. For the price we paid the value is fully ok. This is not bad hotel at all. I have to give it after all only 3 stars. It would be fully worth 4 stars. But they lost entire 1 star from me as their customer, as they could not warn us that their main swimming pool would be closed during our entire stay. Do note that I 100% believe St.Regis is going to improve. It’s still rather new hotel & has some hiccups. When their management sorts these outs, it can compete against other top level hotels in Yalong Bay area. There is building work ongoing behind the hotel where the yacht club is being built. I would recommend picking up room with sea view.

Room Tip: Select room with sea view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Honored Guest,

It concerns us greatly to read your comment in regards to your unfortunate experience at our resort recently.

We have noted your comments regarding the check-in process, transportation, picture quality of TV etc. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of quality we want our guests to experience and we can fully understand your disappointment.

For the main pool, we closed it temporary due to it was enhancing, we are adding a water slide for this pool, we are so sorry for the inconvenience and it will be opened soon later.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our qualities. We do hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting St. Regis in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality St. Regis renowned for.

Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I have to write this review because I think my trip this time to Sanya is the perfect example of a good hotel versus a bad hotel. Keep it in mind these are both 5-star hotels and world famous.

I got a very good deal at St.Regis thanks to knowing people working in this industry. It was a 2 step jump of upgrade with everything (breakfast, Internet & service charge) included. I never stayed at any St.Regis hotel before and now I know there must be a reason why I never even considered choosing one. We were told during check-in that our room wasn't ready. We asked how long it may still take but we got an answer "sorry, I'm not sure" twice from this front desk lady. I still don't understand how could any hotel give such answer to their guest regarding how long the cleaning routine they do hundreds of times everyday!

That was just one of the things we noticed that this hotel isn't ready at all to open their door to guests. I don't think the staff there cared much at all what the customers needed as every time we sat down on for a drink we had to ASK to get a menu. One time we literally counted on the watch that 5 minutes passed by people were still busy doing their own things. When I finally asked for a drink menu, I was asked back this "What is your room number?!"

Sure I suppressed down the urge or throwing something at that guy but this is the moment when my opinions toward the hotel just went spiraling down: I don't like the room because when you open the door you see can see everything. There's no partition of any design that separates the entrance to the room. I felt quite exposed even the door was closed. food quality was average. Perhaps this could apply to all these large hotels. I hated going to their breakfast because it was like a war zone where you had to fight to get food. Many things were gone and no one cleaned the mess dropped on the ground.......

After one day we just had enough and checked out right after making a reservation at the Mandarin Oriental. We waited a good half an hour for our turn to check out. During that time a guest asked one staff whether he could print out a ticket for him, but the staff just looked at him and said:" please wait , I'll tell this girl when she's done." And went right back to his standing mode. I was utterly speechless and didn't even bother to complain because I didn't think they care at all!

So my first and probably only stay at the St.Regis is over now. I think I'll also write a review on Mandarin Oriental Sanya. Well I won't repeat the comments here but if you really want to know the end of that part, I can tell you that we extended our stay at MO and felt very depressed about going home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Honored Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review regarding your recent stay at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, we hope that you had a pleasant return journey.

We have noted your comments regarding the Check in process, Service experience and the staff’s etiquette. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we want our guests to experience and we can fully understand your disappointment concerning the same. Please allow us to take all points have you mentioned and allow us to look into the areas where we have failed to meet your expectation.

St. Regis Butler Service

Been to The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort? Share your experiences!