“Privacy & Personalized Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay

You added Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay to your Saves list
Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Haitang Road, Haitang Bay Resort, Sanya 572000, China (Haitang Bay)   |
Special Offer
Stay 4 nights, pay for 3!
Ranked #3 of 1,167 Hotels in Sanya
4.5 of 5 stars 154 Reviews
Qingdao, China
“Privacy & Personalized Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We have visited Sanya several times already, stayed or had meals in different hotels but nothing is compared to Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay. We love the low-rise colonial / roman style architecture and villa with private pool concept. Even the hotel is fully booked (stayed there during the October holidays) you don't see crowds of people. Due to the size of resort (maybe 100 villas only) you receive a very personalized service. The staff always greeted us with our names and simply went the extra mile to make sure we have a good time. They have some great people like Jamal, Bernie, Alan, Josan, Richard and Stefan, a new Chef from Switzerland and served us whatever we needed. We loved the Paella in "Senses" - and the mediterranean style food. We met the GM Markus who told us that he grew up in Spain.This must be the reason why the food tastes so authentic. The Conrad is connected to the Doubletree Resort which offers additional restaurant choices...For lunch you shouldn't miss the Noodle Box and for dinner the "PACIFICA" is a must. Great cocktails, live music and comfy food from the grill. The beach is simply amazing; one day I walked to the neighbouring hotel, which is approx. 2.5 km away, and I didn't meet one person on my way (roundtrip). I guess this will change over years but it was such a peaceful experience. Markus & Team, thank you very much for a great holiday and hope you guys are still there next year, when we return to Conrad Sanya.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Markus K, General Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Alexander

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience on your recent stay with us.

It was our pleasure to host you and your family with us for the 2nd time. We are delighted to know that you had an unforgettable memory. Thank you for your kind words, which will be shared with the team. Valuable reviews like yours are always very important to us for our aim for excellence.

Looking forward to welcoming you back next year!

Markus Kosch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My name is Shi Man Li. HH# 153294277, tier Gold. I have a very unhappy experience to share with all who are choosing this hotel..

I planned a trip at Conrad Sanya several days ago and used my Visa infinite card to registered a Hilton gold member at visa call center. The credit card was then canceled and destroyed due to personal reason. The booking was made on hilton website and reservation no. is 3537490381 from 9/25 to 9/26.

When I arrived at hotel in the afternoon, the front desk staff was unfriendly. Firstly, a girl questioned my gold membership qualification and asked me where I had obtained this gold membership, otherwise they would not give me any benefits as a gold membership. Unwillingly I told her that I used by previous visa infinite card to make it, but she seemed not believe.

I called lobby manager to address this problem for me. But later proven that she was completely a nightmare. She again questioned my gold membership and refuse to admit my gold membership just because they did not see the visa infinite card. I felt insulted and doubt if they have the right to ask me show my personal belongings. It is not in the airport customer nor police station, I am customer with reservation directly from hilton website and paying for this stay by myself.

The left time for me was hard to describe as it seemed I have committed a significant crime. Any staff in the hotel deemed me as an enemy or criminal.

I am now seriously in doubt of the faith of hilton hotels. Before I arrived the hotel, I am always told by my friends about their magnificent experience in HH, how good the gold membership benefits they have received such as complementary breakfast, afternoon tea, lounge access... But for me, these words could only bring pains.As an ordinary gold member, I was questioned by no reason, being asked for showing my private card and the hotel staff gave me no alternatives that I will be proven guilty if I cant show it. It is totally FBI work and a treatment for criminals.

I do feel insulted deeply. I do doubt if Hilton hotel always treat their elite members and direct online bookings in this way. If that is the case, I would rather give up this “gold” membership as I suffered enough being treated as a criminal at the front desk, being asked offensive questions over and over again, being hold for more than an hour and finally given no membership benefits at all.

The duty manager was terrible, her name was Molly. If she was still in the hotel, I will not return and will tell anyone who interested in Conrad Sanya about this nightmare I have encountered which is also what they could have had in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Markus K, General Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear valued guest

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us.

As communicated with you earlier via e-mail, the Gold status benefit of Hilton Honors is only available to valid Visa Infinite cardholders. If a cardholder closes or the card is canceled for any reason, the Gold membership is terminated. This is disclosed in the terms and conditions for all eligible Infinite cardholders.

To extend our courtesy and hospitality, your reservation was then free upgraded from Deluxe Plunge Pool Room to Garden View villa with compliments.

Sincerely looking forward to your understanding and we thank you again for your recent stay with us!

Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The resort is in an excellent shape. Every morning we had a fantastic breakfast at the Theatro. Additionally to the very good buffet we were able to order delicious steaks and salmon dishes. To our surprise we found German pretzels and different cheese. In the afternoon we enjoyed the nice atmosphere at the Vue Lounge at afternoon tea with delicious snacks and live jazz music. For dinner we were able to choose the very good Chinese restaurant La China, the Theatro for all day dining and Signature for seafood. The nice garden with fountains made us feel like being in Versailles. From the pool you have a view to the ocean. This is a very good and quiet place to relax. We can fully recommend this Conrad Resort in the Haitang Bay in Sanya.

Room Tip: The Villas on the southside have ocean view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Claus

Thank you for taking time to share the experience of your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife during your stay.

I’m glad to see that you had a wonderful vacation here and will definitely share your kind words with my team, which will encourage us to continuously deliver our Conrad service of the highest quality.

Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Hainesport, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay is a magical, spectacular resort with world-class service, delicious food, and stunning accommodations set on a beautiful location on Hainan Island.

I was celebrating a special birthday and wanted to go some place different, unique, and high-end; after much research, I landed on the not-even-3-years-old Conrad property for my tropical retreat. I reached out to the General Manager to discuss arrangements and even months before arrival, he & his staff provided exceptional service. Coordinating airport transfers, researching recreation opportunities, and putting me in touch with others elsewhere in China to make an extended holiday a dream vacation are some examples of the great service they provided well before check-in. With great service even before my arrival, a high bar was set for the level of service I expected at the resort –and it’s a bar that was often exceeded by the exceptional team that works here.

I was met at the airport upon arrival in a beautiful black Bentley and whisked away to the resort; the trip took about 30 minutes. At the resort porte-cochère, a team from the resort were waiting to provide a warm greeting. A buggy was ready to roll to whisk me to my villa for check-in formalities.

I arrived at night, so the villa was lit in its glory: surrounded by lush landscaping accented by a good-sized private swimming pool in its rear yard, the spacious accommodations were just as grand as they appear online. The resort staff spent time reviewing all the features of the villa including what switch does what. And I’m glad they did: with multiple lights, shades, and air conditioning systems on different panels/walls, it was good to get an overview. This isn’t your typical hotel room where a switch or two turns on/off the lights and a dial turns up-down the AC/heat; this was a mini-house of sorts, with each room having its own special features and luxury appointments.

With the mechanics of the room squared away, the resort staff then brought me up to speed on the perks and benefits of being a guest. As both a Diamond HHonors member in Hilton’s loyalty program (Conrad’s parent company is Hilton) and a villa guest, I was entitled to some great published benefits: a fruit basket replenished every other day, a bottle of wine at arrival, internet access in the villa, late check-out, and complimentary afternoon tea from 3:00pm-4:30pm and complimentary evening cocktails from 5:30pm-7pm in the Vue Lounge within the main lobby building. There was also unlimited, complimentary access to the villa minibar which contained things like soft drinks and beer, Oreo cookies, and Pringles potato chips; it was replenished daily. Guests also have the opportunity to select one of three bathroom amenity brands: Aromatherapy Associates, Shanghai Tang, and Tara Smith. I’m a big fan of the first, so I selected Aromatherapy Associates…but to try something different, I switched to Shanghai Tang in the middle of my visit. Another published benefit: complimentary laundry service of 2 pieces/person/day. In addition to reviewing and describing all of these perks, the resort staff also left some letters behind that further described each service/item; I’m glad they did: with so many good things at my disposal, it was good to have a reference document to review should I forget anything.

After the check-in was complete, I asked for a tour of the lobby, restaurants, and spa to become familiar with the resort grounds. I encourage every guest to do this: it’s a great way to find your way around (even though they do give you a resort map at check-in.) (Perhaps it can be a standard practice of the resort: they can offer you a welcome cocktail and shuttle you around the resort for orientation.) During that tour, I was introduced to restaurant and spa staff who promised to help me make the most of my stay.

I was upgraded to an amazing King Ocean Villa, located on the same “block” as the Presidential Villa. In the “back yard” of the villa, I could watch the ocean (and I could definitely hear an occasional pounding wave), but the dense tropical foliage around the villa blocked most of the view…and provided the ultimate in privacy.

The villa was opulent and spacious, with an extremely comfortable king bed fitted with luxurious linens. In addition to a desk and chair, there was a chaise and an additional chair to lounge around in indoors.

The bedroom area looked out onto the private pool area, which itself had two lounge chairs and a small table facing the pool. The pool was sparklingly clear, and the water was refreshingly mild: not too warm, not too cold, but just perfect. The water is about 4.5’ deep, perfect for lounging around and taking in the fragrant air or warm breezes. But a caution about the tile used in the pool: it is extremely slick, and it’s very easy to slide around…or even fall. In addition to the two lounge chairs there, there was an elevated seating area with two chairs and a table under a shaded cover, overlooking the pool and the small grass yard that exists beyond the pool area. On the side of the villa, with access provided by a side sliding patio door, there were two additional chairs under an umbrella. The outdoor area had a speaker with a volume control you could turn off/up; the “resort soundtrack” played there, a medley of classical hits or string instrument soloists that also filled their lobby with background music.

Back inside, opposite the pool area was a stunning large master bathroom complete with large soaking tub, two sinks, and a decadent shower (with rain head) and a toilet room. The doorway to the bathroom can be closed with two lightly screened doors: while it filters the light in/out of the bathroom, it does not provide much privacy. The toilet room itself is all glass, so as other Trip Advisor reviewers have written, it is difficult to have privacy in the bathroom if you’re sharing your villa with others. The bathroom looks out to a private outdoor landscaped area, adding to the tropical ambiance: it’s like washing up in a jungle in there, without the worry of bugs or heat. To round out the luxurious appointments in the bathroom is the floor, heated to perfection to a steady temperature. It made entering/exiting the shower and tub that much more enjoyable. The towels provided in the villa were of high quality and were refreshed during an evening turn-down service.

The villa also had a walk-in closet, with its own full floor-to-ceiling window looking out to the private garden, with lots of shelf and hanging space for clothes. The closet also featured a full length mirror and light; with the light and the sunlight, it was a very good room to dress up in.
The room had both wired and wireless internet. I found the connections to be solid and I was able to upload dozens of photographs from my travels to my friends on social networks through a VPN connection I created. I kept my notebook “wired” while my iPad used the WiFi; neither had issues with the network and I was pleased with the speed.

Occupancy during my stay varied significantly, from only a few guests on my check-in day to an occupancy level of 80%+ during my week-long visit. But even so, I found the service to be top-notch throughout…and even on the most “packed” days, I’d only see a dozen or two people at most in the public areas, by the pool, or on the beach. I think it’s impossible to feel crowded at this resort –and if you’re looking for a quiet, private getaway, this resort is your ultimate retreat.

During my stay, I had the opportunity to explore the Presidential Villa –a huge 5-bedroom/bath villa complex with ocean views, and a large 2-bedroom (with 2.5 bathrooms) villa also with ocean views. While the Presidential Villa had an over-the top luxurious living room and dining room, the bedrooms and bathrooms in all the villas were all comparable. If I was traveling with family, I’d probably book a 2-bedroom villa. In addition to the extra bedroom and bathrooms, it also has a larger private pool. If I was traveling with a group of friends, I’d probably secure the Presidential Villa. To accommodate guests looking for that second bedroom, they turned some single-villa units into 2-bedroom units.

To get around the resort, you can walk along amazingly landscaped paths that are lined with statues and water features and fountains. Or you can call up for a buggy. During my stay, I did both. The buggy service was prompt; they’d often arrive within minutes of calling from my villa, taking me to the lobby or the spa whenever I wanted.

Public areas were beautiful. There was a large View Pool, an infinity pool with sweeping views of the ocean. Nearby there was a kids pool, with an equally great view of the ocean area. There were hot tubs, but they were drained and out of service. They explained that due to occupancy rates and the season, they were shut down during my visit. I didn't mind, since I had my own pool and tub in my villa I could take advantage of. Even on low occupancy days, there were a few people in or around the pools. And on the high occupancy days, there were dozens on the beach. The beach is beautiful; on the top of the beach is a row of fixed seating/lounging; down a fairly decent drop is the surf itself. The weather was variable during my visit and the sea reflected that variability: on some days, the surf was gentle, on others, it was rough with large breakers crashing onto the sand. There was a large roped-off area to swim within that was patrolled by a lifeguard. Few Chinese went for a “swim” beyond getting up to their knees in water, but some non-Chinese guests did indulge in the seas for a swim.

I found the resort food & drink to be of exceptional quality. Teatro is the main eatery of the resort, providing a sumptuous breakfast buffet and lunch and dinner offerings. Vue Lounge was the main bar within the lobby, where you could order snacks from a limited menu… or chose from items from the broader Teatro menu there. La Chine was the Chinese staple there, providing Hainanese and Cantonese cuisine; of the bunch, it was the busiest. There’s also a small eatery called Senses there, offering Mediterranean dishes. However, it was only open during one night of the week and I didn’t have the chance to try it out. I did have the chance to try the others though.

Teatro was superb, and offered the best resort breakfast I’ve ever had. In addition to delicious buffet offerings (both Western and Asian treats), you could order off of a menu …or ask the chefs to whip up something else. While many buffets are bland with most foods often tasting the same, there was real artistry used in the cooking here: every dish was a work of art, with apparent passion used by the cooking staff to create every item to perfection. Whether it was a deliciously seasoned and prepared steak (with sinfully delicious steak sauce) and a hash brown, or an equally delicious waffle cooked to perfection (with a slightly crisp exterior and a delicate, fluffy interior), everything was just fabulous. There were even random goodies served there: like authentic German pretzels, baked to perfection. Service at Teatro was also excellent: a glass never remained empty on my table, and I was always engaged by the super-friendly staff there. I indulged in some treats from Teatro during the afternoon in the Vue lounge; they were absolutely excellent and if anything, priced below where I’d expect them to be at such a location. (Example: you can have a large gourmet pizza for about US$15 –really an unheard of price for any resort in the world.)

La Chine was very good and provided an authentic Chinese dining experience. It was apparently the resort favorite among the Chinese guests, and often was quite full during the evening dinner hours. I found the food there to be very good and flavorful, with service prompt and friendly there too. Dinner here was priced on the high side, but within an expected range for a venue of its caliber.

But when it came to eating and drinking at the resort, the most pleasant surprise came from the Vue Lounge where tea and cocktails were provided. The service there was warm and friendly, and they made sure our stomachs were full of the delicious treats that were there. During the afternoon tea service, you can choose from a variety of teas, fruit juices, waters, and soft drinks. They were joined by racks of small bites, deliciously and masterfully prepared. Whether it was a scone with clotted cream, a poached shrimp served atop a shot glass of spicy gazpacho, a beef meatball in a tomato sauce, or a cup of coconut milk filled with beans, seeds, and tropical fruit, there was plenty to eat. And if there wasn't, the staff would continue to bring out the delicious small bites until you were full. The tea service replaced my need for lunch; it was filling, delicious, and provided a tremendous variety of local and international foods all in bite-size form. I’ve had formal tea service everywhere from Europe to places as exotic as Dubai, and found this resort offering to be the best.

Evening cocktails at Vue were just as amazing, with delicious cocktails and bite-sized treats served again. You could easily replace dinner with the volume of food & drinks they provide here, and on some days it was a struggle not to eat too much of the delicious cocktail hour food to save room for dinner elsewhere. Caipiroskas, margaritas, or your more basic drinks like a gin & tonic were offered…along with beer/wine/soft drink/water options. The drinks were generously poured and unlimited –as an example, in one sitting, I had at least six margaritas. The service was again very warm and friendly and made sure my glass was never empty. Like with the afternoon tea, cocktails were accompanied by towers of delicious bite-sized treats of seafood, meat, pastries, and more.

Outside of the complimentary drinking/eating hours, the Vue lounge provided a great venue to relax and have a drink …or a smoke. As part of a special promotion, they offered some premium scotch and a Cuban cigar for a decent price …which made for a great way to end an evening one night.

Speaking of smoking, there was very little on the resort during my stay. There were some who would smoke outdoors at Teatro or Vue, but it never became an issue …and never interfered with my dining experience.

Beyond the options at the Conrad, guests could also dine at one of the venues at the adjacent DoubleTree property. I enjoyed a lunch at the Noodle Box there, where you could select different noodles, broth, and ingredients for a delicious local meal. The Noodle Box was also very reasonably priced: I enjoyed a huge bowl of soup loaded with vegetables, chicken, and my selected noodles …along with a refreshing drink …for about US$12. I also had the opportunity to dine at the waterside seafood eatery Pacifica, which made delicious giant pots of seafood to feast on. Even with the great food there, prices were very reasonable for the resort: about $50/person for a healthy meal with a few drinks. Between the Conrad and the DoubleTree, I never had a meal I didn’t like.

The resort takes pride in their I Spa offering, providing a variety of services in a beautiful indoor/outdoor spa complex located a short walk away from the main lobby building. I booked a lengthy spa visit that included a bath, a scrub, and an extended massage… all which was provided to my satisfaction. The spa is very expensive, but in line with my expectations for what spa charges would be at a resort of this caliber.

The resort gym was also within the spa complex, providing a small room of varied equipment that’d keep the typical guest fit through their vacation. If you’re training for the Olympics and require a robust, large gym, this gym isn’t for you (and you probably wouldn’t be lounging about at a Conrad.) But if you are looking for a clean, cool place to stay fit with a variety of machines and weights, the gym is more than enough…and spacious enough to tackle many guests at a time.

But the most amazing part of my stay was the absolute best-in-class service I received throughout. I stay at dozens of hotels and resorts throughout the year ranging from low-end Hampton Inns to high-end Ritz Carltons and other boutique properties. Whether it’s a resort in the Seychelles, a tropical retreat in the Maldives, to the best hotel in Cannes, France or Cairns, Australia, I consider myself a very savvy, well-traveled vacationer. Despite what others on Trip Advisor have said, I found the service to be amazing. There was passion and enthusiasm exhibited by everyone, and with every interaction and every touch, the resort staff was eager to confirm that everything was to my satisfaction and/or if they could further improve on things. If a Chinese guest were to descend onto a luxury property in Florida, I doubt they’d have the expectation (or experience) of having Chinese-speaking staff to interact with there. I had the same expectation of traveling to Sanya as an English speaking American; at a resort that caters primarily to the Chinese, I was expecting very limited English speaking talent there. But the Conrad surprised me on this front, with most of my interactions with their team in flawless English. Whether it was a restaurant manager or a cocktail lounge waitress, or a buggy driver to the resort concierge, I was able to put my fears of not knowing any Chinese aside and was able to have a great experience all-around. There were two people I interacted with that knew no English (a driver and a housekeeper), but they were able to get someone on the phone for me to translate their concerns.

Examples of some exceptional service:

-During turn-down service, someone from housekeeping noticed a tile that was out of place in the bathroom. They had engineering promptly show-up and fix it. The fact they recognized a problem that I didn’t…. and remedied it quickly… was impressive.

-I had a golf outing scheduled on a day it was raining. When the buggy driver picked me up to take me to breakfast, he said he was sorry for the rain…and that the hotel staff was working on options for me. When we arrived to the lobby, I was greeted by the staff who presented me with options on how to reschedule golf and enjoy other rain-friendly activities on the island. Again, this was done without any prompting by me.

-Random treats & surprises. Beyond the published perks of being a Diamond member and/or Villa Guest, I was surprised along the way. A few times, I received delicious treats delivered to my villa: dried fruit/nut platters and fresh baked Danish were among the treats I got there. In Teatro, the chefs whipped up special dishes…like an amazing local version of Eggs Benedict that was to die for. I even had a few birthday cakes pop up during my stay, making for good memories. The resort even provided me with monogrammed pillowcases for my villa.

-My brother flew out for this island getaway and needed assistance with his return trip home, including booking accommodations for a layover elsewhere in China. His needs were fulfilled completely without any hesitation or problem.

Throughout the visit, I was often asked for feedback… and ways my stay could even be made better. Throughout meals, I was invited to try things and explore things that weren’t even on the menus. And when rain fell, staff offered up suggestions at the resort or elsewhere on the island to pass the time. I was always greeted by a warm smile and a friendly hello (or Ni Hao) and was often referred to by name. The team was committed to a perfect stay …and that is exactly what I got.

Sanya is called China’s Hawaii and I can see why: beautiful beaches, luxurious resorts, and a great tropical atmosphere. But as a frequent guest to Hawaii …and a property owner there… I can say confidently that the service and accommodations provided by the Conrad Sanya are far better than any in the Hawaiian chain. (On the other hand, Hawaii is far more developed and offers better access to sightseeing, beaches, and attractions.) While Sanya will likely never become a replacement to Hawaii or the Caribbean for American guests, if you find yourself in this part of the world, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Conrad Sanya.

Overall:

-Excellent service from friendly staff *everywhere* on the resort property. A great English experience in a Chinese resort.

-Stunning accommodations provided for a great value. These are not regular hotel rooms, but rather spacious villas designed to allow guests to soak up the tropics in privacy.

-Delicious food, prepared by artist-chefs that obviously take pride in their craft. From the crisp spring rolls to the flakey croissants, from the seared scallops to the grilled steaks, from the rice noodles to the Hainan chicken, every ounce of food is cooked to perfection.

-Expensive spa and pricey meals, but not exorbitantly so. While some venues charged an expected premium, there were great values to be found in food/drink /cigar and spa offers. Combined with complimentary cocktails and tea, I found myself spending less money than I thought I would here.

For Hilton HHonors members looking to explore a high-end property, this place is for you. I’ve stayed at other Conrads including the property in the Maldives, but found the service and food here in Sanya far better. (The accommodations are a bit different, but I found the Deluxe Oceanfront Villa in the Maldives to be a bit better than this spectacular villa in Sanya. And if I had a choice between an over-water-villa in the Maldives to the villa I had in Sanya, I’d pick the one in Sanya.) For this trip, it was a toss-up between Sanya and the Koh Sumui Conrad, but I found it easier and more affordable to fly to Sanya at this time than Thailand from the US.

The Sanya Conrad property is better than any Hilton or Waldorf-Astoria property I’ve been to in the world (and it’s a lot), including Hilton’s Hawaii properties. I’ll need to travel to Koh Sumui to see how it compares to this resort. But with Koh Sumui as an unknown, as a frequent global guest of Hilton properties, I find the Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay to be the chain’s crown jewel.

Room Tip: While "Beach" villas are closest to the water, abundant landscaping and privacy screening...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Markus K, General Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear valued guest

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience with us.

I’m delighted to read that you had a wonderful time here at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay and sincere thank you for all your nice comments on our facilities and services. I’m proud of all team members who work together to make your stay a perfect one and I’ll certainly share your comments with the team. Feedback like yours is always rewarding, motivating and it’s indeed a great encouragement in our aim to strive for excellence. With the same service standards, I’m quite certain that you’ll experience another wonderful time at our sister property, Conrad Koh Samui.

Looking forward to welcoming you again in beautiful Sanya!

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The villa is perfect. The food, bedrooms and service provided are all perfect. Some of the attendants can proactively give advices/ informations to guests. Many of them like to talk to guests. You can find smiles on their faces.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I travel more than 50% of the year and have stayed at 8 of the other hotels in Sanya. Decided to try out the Conrad Sanya. Put simply, it is definitely not one of the better luxury hotels in Sanya.

The Mandarin Oriental is much better, the Ritz Carlton is not as good as the Mandarin Oriental but much better than the Conrad.

The primary negative features of the Conrad are:
1) As other TripAdvisor reviews say, the service quality is awful for a 4 or 5 star hotel. The staff are quite poorly trained. You get the distinctive sense they have no service experience. The front desk, F&B, and Bernie Bo are especially bad
2) Everything is massively overpriced compared to other hotels and spas, even the other luxury hotels in Sanya
3) The hotel looks good at the beginning, but when you look at the details, you see it is broken down in between. The hardware is ok, the software is terrible.
4) Places like the gym do not qualify as a gym. It is pretty much as good as a single multi-machine.
5) The beach, water and activities are not at all conveniently situated.

The really terrible thing is the service. Bernie Bo is terrible.

Room Tip: There is really not much difference
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest

Thank you for taking time to share the experience of your recent stay with us.

I was most concerned to have learnt that we have fallen short of your expectations this time and I would like to apologize for the fact that the air-conditioning was not functioning properly in our Spa facility while you were having a treatment. We, however would like to explain that the cooling unit in our Chinese restaurant was switched off on purpose as it is nearing the end of lunch period but as soon as our team members knew that you would like to have lunch there, the lunch hour was at once extended and the cooling unit was immediately turned on.

We have also taken note of your comments regarding the pricing and would like to assure that our products are competitively priced against other 5-star properties in Sanya. We have a total of 101 villas and rooms sprawled around the resort and the distance from the villa/room to the beach varies according to the type of villa or room booked. Nevertheless, a 24-hour buggy service is available to ferry guests around the resort and this adds convenience to guests who might have booked a room type that is further away from the beach as in your case.

Overall, it is most regrettable that we did not have the opportunity to recover the unpleasant experience in our Spa but still I would like to thank you for taking time to share your comments with me.

Obninsk, Kaluga, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Our family was staying in the hotel for 6 nights at the end of August. I've booked the King Garden Pool Villa for 2 adults and one 12 y.o. kid with brekfast and dinner included directly via Hilton web site.
As soon as we arrived at the reception for check in the hotel staff told me that I have complementary breakfast for me and my wife and that's all! After I showed my voucher to the receptionist she was confused and it took her about 15 minutes to call somebody on a phone and then find a "manager" to discuss the issue fortunately she agreed that she was wrong and we have our meal plan as we ordered during booking. This incident made me upset but as soon as we entered our villa I forgot about it immediately... Everything was perfect! The villa itself, whole facility, water pool in the evening was so romantic! so I decided that all troubles were over but unfortunately I was wrong :-(
In two days I was told by one of the hotel staff that I had to pay for my son's meal because in China 12 y.o. kids considers as adult and they sorry that they didn't tell me that during check in... I was really surprised about that because when I booked the room I was double checked a Hilton Family Policies and it said that adult is above 17 y.o. and in my voucher is defenitely said that my rate includes breakfast and dinner for all of us. On this occasion, I was told that the only thing they can do for me is 50% discount for my son's meal and that's it... But I already paid for that!!! Can you beleive it?!!! Actually my intension was to leave this bloody hotel immediately not beacause of the money for sure but because of "care" and attitude to a customers... When I chose this 5 star hotel I didn't even imagine that I would have to struggle with personal during all of our stay...
Anyway we decided to stay since we didn't want to pack our goods and moving around Sanya in order to find a new hotel for two night stay...
In order to avoid any surprises I went to reception the day before leaving and asked them to print me my balance and they did it... In Chineese!!! After that I wanted to to start talking in Russian with them, by God!
During chek out I found that they applyed 50% discount only for my son's dinner but not the breakfast... Actually at this point the only wish was to get out of this crap as fast as it possible and I didn't insist about promissed discount... At least they properly arranged an airport tranfer...
Well this part of our vacation was totally spoiled... I'm traveling around the world last 10 years but this was the first time I bumped into such a minus 5 star service... The worst experience in my life! I've got better service in 3 star hotel in Nigeria for sure!!! Absolutely disappointed! Will never stay in Hilton again!
For the sake of justice I have to say that Hilton Beijing Wangfujing where we stayed after that was really nice...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Markus K, General Manager at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear valued guest

Greetings from Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay!

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced on the day of arrival. Our Reservation department overlooked the information of your meal plan and failed to share with the operation team. Presenting the bill in a wrong language was also a mistake on our side and I would like to give you my personal assurance that necessary corrective actions have been taken to ensure such regrettable incidents do not reoccur.

As per Hilton's Worldwide policy, children under 17 of age can stay in the same room with their parents without any charge but this does not cover any related meal plans which the paying adults might enjoy. For your reservation with us, the number of adult occupants was indicated as 2 thus we only charged you the room and meal plan fee for 2. You may verify this by changing the number of adults on the reservation page. If you input the number of occupants as 2 adults and 1 child, you will notice that the rate shown on the booking page will be lower than the rate for 3 adults. The consumption made by your child was supposed to be charged at full price but nevertheless as a gesture of goodwill, the hotel decided to extend a 50% discount. The price of our breakfast for an occupant above 12 years old is RMB 198++ but we charged you RMB 99++, which is 50% of the full price as agreed.

I sincerely apologize for our shortfalls in terms of service and for any misunderstandings related to our meal plans.

Thank you again for your comments and for your recent stay with us, It is only through feedback like this that we are able to continually monitor and improve both our products and quality of services.

Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Markus Kosch

Been to Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay? Share your experiences!