“MICE IN THE KITCHEN!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #19 of 1,172 Hotels in Sanya
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Castiglioncello, Italy
“MICE IN THE KITCHEN!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We booked a deluxe ocean view suite with operative kitchen just to cook for our 9 months baby, we realized that the kitchen didnt work , the electricity was cut off and it was greasy and dirty.
We went down to the fusion restaurant to eat and while we were waiting for our meal we saw more than ten mice running from outside to the front kitchen and towards the kitchen ...the mice felt very confident,scared at all as if it was their home!! we were scared ,!!we called the waiter and he told us that he already knew but he didn't know what to say, we went to the front desk and we ask for the manager, we had instead the assistant manager that at the news to have many mice living quitely in the hotel kitchen he didn;t undetrstand why we were so concerned.
the morning after we discovered that the "mice restaurant "was the breakfast location!!
We ask for the f b and the poor guy was sorry ,telling us that they were improving .... but..
The restaurant in the morning was an ashame !!! shells , prowns' skin ,rubbish on the floor .,the tables dirty and the rubbish contents open with the trush pouring outside!!
we checked out with some difficulties because they wanted us to pay for more thann one night .
I wander do they know how dangerous is having mice in a kitchen??? do they know what LEPTOSPIROSIS is??? and the GENERAL MANAGER???does he exist???

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Sanya is a typical Chinese family vacation destination.

Sanya bay is convenient and close to airport. Taxi ride from airport is about 10 minutes costs 2-3 euro. The long stretch of beaches is not so beautiful as Yalong bay, but in the high season it is less crowdy.

Room rate is reasonable priced with western standard. Online booking via travel agency is cheaper than booking directly with the hotel.

Room is decent in size. On website it states 40 or 50 sq meter, but it's much small.
Facilities and rooms are not very clean.
2 swimming pools. 1 big + 1 small. The smaller one is hiding inside a restaurant.
Service is poor.

Breakfast buffet has high quantity and low quality.
Staff cannot speak English.
Overall is a ok and comfortable hotel.

We were there for business so it doesn't matter much. The atmosphere in Sanya is not relaxing. There're a lot of new building developments. No old towns, streets, nor history.

If you don't speak some Chinese you'll have a hard time going around Sanya!!!

Room Tip: High floor with ocean view. You've to pay more for it. Their ocean view is only partial view.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

The resort hotel overall is excellent. Big swimming pool that young and old will surely enjoy. Rooms are nice. One thing that ocean sonic resort sanya should improve asap is the quality of their food during breakfast. Very poor food quality although they have many food choices. Staff in the resto that serves buffet breakfast are friendly but should add more staff especially when the resto is full packed in the morning. The Chinese restaurant of the hotel have good food!!! When we were having our swim in the pool on April 18 at 3am. Surprisingly the snack bar beside the pool does not have cook. So none of us was able to order snacks. We were informed the cook is absent.

• Stayed April 2011
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

We traveled on China Southern Air out of the beautiful Guangzhou Airport. We handed the Sanya airport taxi driver the hotel address that was printed in Chinese. On arrival the concierge spoke English and assisted with our check-in. Over the 12 days, we stayed in the delux ocean view room on the 10th floor and the delux garden view room on the 3rd floor. Both rooms were very clean and nice. We found the hotel grounds and the beach front to be the prettiest and the best maintained on the coast. The resort food was not up to our standards and was over priced, but we quickly located a waterfront restaurant two blocks to the west that was excellent, yet still expensive and another excellent restaurant two blocks west and two blocks south with bargin prices and excellent food (both a safe walk away). For meals in the hotel the best value was room service. We liked the hotels central location and the staffs assistance guiding us to the wonderful sights. The hotel helped in arranging a taxi driver for the day who would drive us to the attraction and then wait all day and return us to the hotel. By USA standards the fee was very reasonable and by Sanya standards the driver received approximately 2 days income. Our favorite attractions were the Yanuoda Tropical Rainforest Tourist Area (40 kilometers away), The End of the Earth Park (11 kilometers away), Wuzhizhou Island (38 kilometers away) , Yalong Bay (32 kilometers away), Luhuitou Park (15 kilometers away) and of course relaxing under the beautiful palms on the hotel's manicured beach and lounging around the hotel pool. You can catch bus 8 right in front of the hotel and ride downtown to the main shopping district for groceries and any needed supplies however; locating bus 8 for the return trip was difficult because it makes a large loop around the central business area before returning to the beach front highway. In Sanya beware of pick-pockets, they are very good and were able to reach in and out of my pocket on two occassions. The lesson learned was to keep the cell phone, passport, camera and money in the wifes purse zipped up tight and locked down. If you enjoyed your stay in Sanya I would also suggest visiting the Island of Gulangyu located in the harbor of the city Xiamen and booking a few nights at the Gallery Inn and also the small resort town of Yangshuo at the termination of the Li River cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo. Good Luck and my your travels be safe and rewarding.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Ocean Sonic from Feb 1-6 (Chinese New Year) 2011; their busiest season of the year.

I decided to try contacting the hotel management in advance to see if they might be willing to help with my wedding proposal. The response was immediate and impressive.

Executive Chef Xie Ming and his team went through pretty extraordinary measures to make the proposal special. They arranged a private beach front feast, with custom dishes, some bizarre special requirements, and tons of romantic décor in a converted massage hut.

Without going into too much detail, it is fair to say that the hotel management went way above the call of duty to make that night memorable. Despite the hotel running at max capacity, they treated us like we really mattered.

A huge thanks to the Ocean Sonic team for helping immortalize that day for my fiancé and I.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Me and my wife Steph Zhou went to Saya in December 2010 to escape the cold weather of England and Shanghai. On our arrival, we were met by a very lovely lady who helped us with all the formalities. Instead of giving us the Superior ocean view room we booked from England, we were given a Deluxe superior suite with ocean view. This was even better and expensive than the one we previously booked and we were not asked for an extra payment and I have to say that was a very special "welcome to Saya" gift from the lovely lady at the reception. That means we got the suite for the price of a room! The suite comprises of a nice living room, a small kitchen, toilet/shower room downstairs and a big bedroom upstairs and another toilet/shower room and a massive bathtub on the balcony with the ocean view. When we got to the room, our first impression was Woooooooooooooah! what a treat from the Hotel! Beleive me we enjoyed every single moment of the room and the hotel. We have to say that the hotel is well situated not far from the beach, even if we had to cross the road all the time to get access to the beach, sometime with the help of security guards. The hotel is a five star China first green hotel with lot of trees and swimming pools. The one me and my wife enjoyed the most was the one with small fish in it and it was so funny as me and my wife enjoying feeding the fish with our dead skin. The water is always warm and it's was so lovely to be in there even if we had to pay 35 yuan each for half an hour. The another simming pool next to it was also lovely although very cold compare to the one with fish, but overall, we enjoyed the swimming very much. I have heard people saying that the swimming pool was almost empty, not many people in there, but for somebody who cares about hygiene like me, I found it very good not to see a lot of people in the pool because that gives you the freedom to swim whatever you like and me and my wife enjoyed it so much. Regarding the food, I would like to say that the food in hotel restaurants was better than the one outside the hotel and also CHEAP. We could not believe that after spending lot of money in restaurants outside the hotel, we found out that it's was actually better to eat inside than outside. The buffet restaurant in the hotel was so lovely with different sea foods to choose from, also the drink was free, yes it was free from biere, whisky to wine everything was free and for only 280 yuan for a couple during lunch and a little bit more during dinner. On our second day in Saya, we found ourselves conned by this restaurant near our hotel where we had a tilapia for 550 yuan!! unbelievable, one fish for equivalent of £55 and cooked in less than 10 minutes! but since we found out that the food was better in hotel than outside, me and my wife decided to have fun in hotel only. So it was kind of swimming pool-restaurant-swimming pool and beach. We also got robbed by the motorcyle guys who charged 5yuan for each of us and then changed it to 20 yuan each but thanks God I speak good Chinese and me and my wife finally convined them to take the same price as discussed. We did not enjoy the beach that much because there was always people disturbing us and asking us to buy their products. Overall, I would like to say that Saya is my new destination for each holiday I will have with my family in December. I enjoyed the service at the hotel, I enjoyed the weather, I enjoyed taking bath on the balcony with sea view and I enjoy the smile on the face of people working there. One thing I noticed the hotel is full of Russians and we met a lovely lady who help us to take picture of us on in the swimming pool. From now on, I will check the promotion on sale every day for a future trip to Saya. I will strongly recoment this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

Our family of 2 adults, 2 kids (ages 2 and 4) plus our nanny travelled to this resort in December 2010. We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment which was an excellent value and allowed our entire family to stay together, rather than reserving multiple connecting rooms at other resorts. We found the room to be excellent value - with a large living area, nice kitchen (although strangely lacking any plates, dishes, or pots!), really comfortable bedrooms, and 3 wonderful balconies.

The hotel facilities were great - our kids loved the waterslides at the kiddy pool, as well as the hottub nearby for when the December pool temperature got a bit too cold for comfort. The hotel has a number of recreation facilities, like playgrounds and ping pong tables and an indoor kids playroom that were also great. The beach is across a very busy street, which was difficult to cross at times.

The beach itself was a disappointment. It is not in any way exclusive to the resort, and given its location near downtown Sanya, it is somewhat of a highway for motorcycles and 4x4s. It was extremely dangerous for our children to play on the beach with motorcycles careening around their sandcastles at breakneck speeds. We were also constantly bothered by hundreds of people selling fruit, jewelery, and shells on the beach, who were very aggressive and often refused to take no for an answer. Hotel staff were helpful at times in encouraging them to move on, but inevitably they were replaced by others. Sand was relatively dirty, scattered with cigarette butts and orange peels amidst other rubbish. But sun chairs / towels / watersports activities were pretty good.

The food at the hotel was also a disappointment. The service in particular was terrible, with noone helping us to find a table, staff forgetting or refusing to bring us items we requested, most buffet items stone cold or completely inedible. However, that said, it did have a good variety from a Western perspective and you can certainly find a piece of toast or a simple dish without problems - if you are looking for the deluxe gourmet buffet experience you will definitely be disappointed.

The hotel is located pretty centrally, about 10 mins drive from the airport and 5 mins from downtown Sanya. That was a bonus as it meant less time in taxis to go out for dinner or shopping.

All in all, we'd probably go again simply for the location, the pool and the large, family-friendly hotel rooms. But we'd make a better effort to find more family-friendly beaches and probably pack a lot more food to make peanut butter sandwiches in our kitchen instead of eating out!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Sonic Resort? Share your experiences!