I stayed at this hotel for one night in December, having stayed at Conrad Haitang Bay for 3 nights prior (separate review: Conrad is a real 5 star hotel). I used an annual certificate redemption. I am IHG platinum.
1. Staff did allow an extension of 2pm check out, since I had a 6pm outbound flight.
2. A plate of fruits was brought to my room acknowledging plat status.
3. Free transportation was provided to the airport. Clean van. Now crowded. I was the only passenger.
Now my many complaints:
1. First impression when approaching hotel lobby: vast grounds but poorly designed (the comment on design is subjective) and poorly maintained property. Landscaping not in good shape. Furnishing outdated and not clean.
2. Once in the room, my disappointment increases. Again, old and poorly maintained. Furniture battered and not clean. Low quality bedding. It does not look like an IC property at all. There is an outdoor shower without a practice purpose, since people can see you from outside, and there is a shower inside already.
3. I strolled around the property. The pool is plain looking without any amenities. It was empty actually, I think it's because it doesn't look inviting at all. Beach is dirty with construction going on, and the chairs are crowded with loud guests with no manners, which brings to my next criticism
4. The biggest issue, in my opinion, is this hotel appears to attract a group of uneducated clients with no manners. Loud, spitting in public places, allowing kids to pee in public, smoking, singing & yelling in the corridor in the middle of the night. It's just bad.
5. Treatment of platinum members: at check in, I was told by staff, quite rudely, that my room won't be upgraded (I don't mind this much), and no breakfast will be offered, because I used an award redemption. I was told this is the uniform policy for all China IC properties. I mentioned my previous stay at IC Shanghai Puxi, where plat status was honored, but staff sounded doubtful and held on to the No. Later a supervisor called my room and offered 20% off breakfast. By then I already looked around the entire property and did not feel like eating in any restaurant on site.
6. Service: staff were behaving OK, but carry an undertone of distrust. I believe this is mainly due to the fact that they deal with customers with no manner all the time. IC should really do something to discourage bad behavior, because it causes the general atmosphere to suffer.
7. Location: not too far from town, but there are no food choices within easy walking distance (there are a few eateries across the street in the condo area but they are almost vacant and barely open).
Overall impression: price is quite high but poorly maintained and does not qualify as a 5-star beach resort. You can find much better value in Sanya!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We apologize for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and your feedback will assist us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. My sincere apologies for your unsatisfactory experience as a Platinum member and I do hope we can welcome you back in the future . Thank you
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.