“Friendly staff eager to provide good service in a beautiful setting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Sanya Resort

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #15 of 1,172 Hotels in Sanya
Beijing, China
“Friendly staff eager to provide good service in a beautiful setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Pleasantly surprised even we expected the consistent intercontinental service but still must admit that this particular resort excelled. On its own private beach with different areas with resaurants and bars, pools and spa catered for every need. Only downside was the other guests seemed too excited running around shouting loudly spoilt the place could be a piece of paradise on the island.

Room Tip: Those water rooms overlooking the pound with huge verandah could be very relaxing without noisy neig...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Ynhchina
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and Resort facilities. I apologise for the unruly behavior of some guests. If we know about this we speak to these guests and ask them to be more considerate of others. Happy Chinese New Year and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Four magic days in paradise, arriving Christmas day and leaving on 29th December. My family of three stayed in a Club room, which provided generously for breakfast, late lunch, and dinner/drinks - all included in the club room rate.

Billy in the Mediterraneano Restaurant (I think he was the manager) couldn't do enough for us - the service all around was exactly what you'd expect of a 5-star Hotel of this calibre.

Used most of the facilities including the Gym (pretty decent selection of new cardio equipment), and a couple of fun evenings in the Beer Factory where they brew beer on site (try the lager!). Some pool tables on the 3rd floor which I think few people had discovered because they looked brand new.

Best of all - plenty for the kids to do while Mum and Dad enjoy of coffee or sleep in. Hot pool, games room, and kids activities on all day.

Combining this great resort with the first-class golf courses available on the island made for a magic time in paradise.

An unforgettable family holiday experience. Will definitely be back in 2014.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a Seaview room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear NigelC497

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We are happy to see that you enjoyed the room and facilities of Club Intercontinental. Thank you also for your kind comments about our team and in particular Billy Zhu our Restaurant Manager. I will pass on your appreciation. Happy New Year and we hope to spend Christmas with you and your family again this year.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Every winter, we are all going to Sanya for a few days, lived almost all of Sanya's five Stars Hotel, but almost only select this hotel for recent two years, since the rooms are very large, hotel is beautiful, the staff were warm and friendly, the food is also very good. In order to avoid the serious air pollution in Shanghai this year, I was alone with my two babies lives in the past two weeks, one year old daughter and three years old son, in those two weeks, hotel staff gave me a great help, to remember everything I need, offering to help look after the children, the children to drink milk, i need extra water, are all available. Lunch at the restaurant, though on the menu I'd like porridge for breakfast is provided, but the restaurant chef is still cooked for my baby. Kids very happy playing here.my son was crying the day we have to leave, and I promise I'll bring them back soon, to play in the kids's Club, went swimming in the heated swimming pool, you can also go to the beach playing in the sand, Yes, we will be back soon!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Jingduval
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort.
We are very happy to welcome you and your lovely family back each winter. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our facilities and our team. Sanya has the freshest air in China and it is a very healthy place for your young children to enjoy their holidays. We look forward to seeing your young family return very soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I will start off by saying that the exterior of the hotel is reasonably well maintained with a good selection of pools (included a heated pool) to choose from. The hotel rooms however are a hit and miss. We had to change rooms during our 3 night stay so got to compare the rooms. Parts of the room looks tired and needs upkeep especially the bathroom. Silicon waterproofing were flaking off and mould build up is apparent. The bathroom however is spacious with dual basins.

The service standard for a 5 star establishment was inconsistent across the staff at the hotel. The service desk was friendly and accommodating to our needs and requirements. English competency levels needs to improve. We were referred to the desk manager whenever a questioned was asked in English. Other ground service staff however were less than desirable. It would be fair to say that some can be considered rude. Culturally I can concede that people in this country are loud and comes across harsh toned. Maybe because they need to talk over the noise. But there is no place for this when you are working in the hospitality industry. Our experience of this rudeness comes when Daniel Han, our buggy driver, was called upon to drive us from our room to the hotel restaurant. This is necessary as the hotel covered a lot of ground and the front desk had suggested we use this service as an alternative to walking. Daniel proceeded to ask us where we were going. We responded with "The Mediterranean". He then grunted "in mandarin". Baring in mind our Mandarin skills are limited and the restaurant had no Chinese equivalent that we could have conveyed to him. It took a little while before he got the idea of where this restaurant was supposed to be. Mind you there are only 3 eateries at this premise and I find it amusing that the hotel staff are unaware of the English names of these restaurants. We were rather unfortunate to come across Daniel again after dinner. Once again grunting. Hotel management needs to have this addressed with him. Totally unacceptable!!!!!

As this is categorised under a "resort" one would expect it to be exclusive especially when it carries the Intercontinental brand. This is not the case at Sanya. The resort is open to random locals of Sanya who are here for a day visit. The place looks and feels like a local park. Comparable to the local park at Peoples Square in Shanghai!!!!!

All in all we are less than impressed with our stay here. Will not come back! For those who are consider in stating here, please make sure you do your research thoroughly!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Irvine, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night in December, having stayed at Conrad Haitang Bay for 3 nights prior (separate review: Conrad is a real 5 star hotel). I used an annual certificate redemption. I am IHG platinum.

Positives:

1. Staff did allow an extension of 2pm check out, since I had a 6pm outbound flight.
2. A plate of fruits was brought to my room acknowledging plat status.
3. Free transportation was provided to the airport. Clean van. Now crowded. I was the only passenger.

Now my many complaints:

1. First impression when approaching hotel lobby: vast grounds but poorly designed (the comment on design is subjective) and poorly maintained property. Landscaping not in good shape. Furnishing outdated and not clean.

2. Once in the room, my disappointment increases. Again, old and poorly maintained. Furniture battered and not clean. Low quality bedding. It does not look like an IC property at all. There is an outdoor shower without a practice purpose, since people can see you from outside, and there is a shower inside already.

3. I strolled around the property. The pool is plain looking without any amenities. It was empty actually, I think it's because it doesn't look inviting at all. Beach is dirty with construction going on, and the chairs are crowded with loud guests with no manners, which brings to my next criticism

4. The biggest issue, in my opinion, is this hotel appears to attract a group of uneducated clients with no manners. Loud, spitting in public places, allowing kids to pee in public, smoking, singing & yelling in the corridor in the middle of the night. It's just bad.

5. Treatment of platinum members: at check in, I was told by staff, quite rudely, that my room won't be upgraded (I don't mind this much), and no breakfast will be offered, because I used an award redemption. I was told this is the uniform policy for all China IC properties. I mentioned my previous stay at IC Shanghai Puxi, where plat status was honored, but staff sounded doubtful and held on to the No. Later a supervisor called my room and offered 20% off breakfast. By then I already looked around the entire property and did not feel like eating in any restaurant on site.

6. Service: staff were behaving OK, but carry an undertone of distrust. I believe this is mainly due to the fact that they deal with customers with no manner all the time. IC should really do something to discourage bad behavior, because it causes the general atmosphere to suffer.

7. Location: not too far from town, but there are no food choices within easy walking distance (there are a few eateries across the street in the condo area but they are almost vacant and barely open).

Overall impression: price is quite high but poorly maintained and does not qualify as a 5-star beach resort. You can find much better value in Sanya!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Irvine92606
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We apologize for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and your feedback will assist us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. My sincere apologies for your unsatisfactory experience as a Platinum member and I do hope we can welcome you back in the future . Thank you
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

This is my 2nd year to come to this resort, and for the second time, I got caught in the middle of a storm in this property. For one, this property is indeed beautiful. Very private, good facilities, great food, and accommodating staff. The beach is artificial so don't expect much but their pools are well worth the visit. These I think doesn't make it stand out from any other international chains. What stands out is how they respond to crisis. The staff , the gm, and all the rest of the people in the resort are very quick to response to emergencies, and in fact, made our stay at the resort very secure and pleasant even if the tees and jetty were washed away. Yes, the storms for the 2 years were exceptionally bad, but intercontinental sanya made all my 200 guests safe , and happy.

I wish No one has to experience this but I thought it is worthy to point out their difference. Indeed top class.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Alipinofw

Thank you for returning to the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We are always delighted to welcome our guests back to sunny Sanya. As you have mentioned this year and last year we experienced storms that were very strong. Fortunately Sanya boasts more than 300 days of beautiful sunshine per year so these storms are very rare. However when such storms occur the safety and security of our guests and employees is our highest priority and we will always manage our business with this in mind. Thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back next year with more stable weather.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Upon arrival we were upgraded to the new part of the hotel, the "better" room was however not what one would expect; the blinds in the main room were stained, the blinds in the bathroom were broken, the pillows and cushions of the sofa on the balcony were dirty and most metal elements in the bathroom showed rust.
The hotel staff was extremely polite and offered to move us to another room or to fix the problems. We chose the latter.
However, due to this disappointing beginning, we decided too "upgrade" to the club-room, what would allow access to the club-lounge. The club-room was spacious, however the bathroom smelled horrible, we decided to move after the receptionist promised they would clean the room and do something about the bad smell. The receptionist (Amanda) gave the rate for the upgrade, we confirmed at the spot and we moved. However, once confirmed, the receptionist came looking for us and provided a correction bill, because the initial discussed rate was wrong. This should NEVER happen, the price given and agreed on should have been honored by the hotel; it is absurd and rude to ask for a different amount once the reservation has been signed and paid for.
The new room was not cleaned as promised, and the bathroom was still smelly (every single employee confirmed the strange smell), the little pool attached to the room was empty, pillows and cushions on the lounge chairs were dirty, internet did not work (it was not until the next day in the evening that we learned that it was the provider's problem, instead of informing about this issue directly, they let us believe it was all due the fact that we changed rooms and we have been busy trying to fix this problem: hours were spent to fix this problem, what turned out to be a waste of time. They fixed the pool late at night.

The overall impression of the hotel: the maintenance of the property is very poor. Most pools looked dirty, the paint blathered, the beach looked horrible with constructions going on in front of the resort. The InterContinental should inform about such matters, especially since it is suppose to be a beach resort.

Upon departure, we decided to take the hotel taxi.
The taxi was a disgrace: it was overpriced, dirty, small, the taxi driver smelled and drove reckless and the safety belts were missing. More surprising is that several people already complained about this in previous reviews, the manager responded that the company would "look into it". This clearly has not happened.

Compliments should be given though to most of the staff, who were extremely helpful and kind. Special thanks go to Clarissa and Amber, who continuously tried to accommodate us and tried to make up for the InterContinental's massive flaws.

I recommend travellers to Sanya to book a room at the nearby situated Anantara, which actually does look like a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Book a room at the nearby Anantara
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Martin76oh

Thank you for mentioning Clarissa and Amber and I will pass on your comments to them.
If I may ask you to contact me on geoffrey.ryan@ihg.com I would like to discuss your experience further with you.

Been to InterContinental Sanya Resort? Share your experiences!