“Wow factor in the Hawaii of China. A fantastic hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 1,167 Hotels in Sanya
4.5 of 5 stars 270 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
“Wow factor in the Hawaii of China. A fantastic hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

What a great hotel in Sanya. Luxurious rooms with day beds on the balcony. Sumptuous rooms with loads of space and large bathrooms.
Many excellent pools with great restaurants and a wonderful beach bar. Bikes to ride around, a clean sandy beach that is uncrowded and staff that are very friendly and helpful. I'd go back and recommend to everyone. A definite pleasant surprise!

• Stayed October 2012
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Michael G
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our award winning guest rooms and the unique over-sized bathrooms. It is also great to see that you enjoyed so many of the features of our resort such as the pools, restaurants and our one of a kind beach bar. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments regarding our service to our friendly team. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to sunny Sanya. Geoffrey Ryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband, baby, and I stayed a weekend here and had a lovely time. It was low season so it was also nice that the area was not crowded and we could have a nice 'break' from living in Shanghai.

The highlight of the hotel is its service. Very friendly, very accommodating. Also to note, the Chinese restaurant is excellent. Although it seems to be known for its seafood, my husband who is vegan thought his dishes were excellent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear allabouttravel086
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We are all very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit in sunny Sanya. Thank you for your good comments regarding our service we will share them with our team. We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed our over-the-sea Chinese restaurant called The Sea Pavilion. Of course not only our Chinese restaurant but all of our different restaurants offer vegan and gluten free dishes for the diet conscious diner. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Geoffrey Ryan
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed at InterContinental Sanya for 3 nights in July 2012. It was a solo trip to break away for some much needed rest & relaxation. In the past, I've stayed at Le Meridien Shimei Bay (Wanning, East Coast of Hainan), and absolutely loved the remoteness and serenity -- however, I've heard that recently there is new construction around the property where it's not a peaceful stay due to noise from say, 8 am pile driving.

I had reserved for the Club Intercontinental Pool Room, which was an impressive space in itself with a private small plunge pool and reading sofa outside the balcony area. Unfortunately, after returning to the room from dinner and drinks the first night, I had found several issues with the room such as a broken light for the plunge pool, wall outlets separating from the wall, non-working iPhone dock for the Bose sound system, and no bubbles coming from the pool (later to find that this was my mistake as it was a not a Jacuzzi, only a plunge pool, despite the appearance and nozzles) – this all happened at about 2am, where several maintenance men were sent to the room for these repairs. After about 45 minutes of general chaos, the night manager offered to move me into an upgraded 1-Bedroom Villa for the rest of the stay.

This new space totally exceeded my expectations, and turned out to be my peaceful haven. The next day, the General Manager (Geoffrey Ryan) and Club IC Manager (Maren Schultz) sought me to meet to understand what had happened the night before for feedback and improvement opportunities. Allison of their Club Intercontinental check-in counter was also especially friendly and helpful. Their commitment to customer service for that event and the rest of the stay completely exceeded my expectations for (a) China, and (b) a big-name international chain. I am not used to receiving such customized service. They continued to follow-up throughout the stay by apologizing of the conditions the first night (which weren't really that bad after having time to think about it), and sending complimentary wine and chocolates to my room.

The resort itself is good – self-enclosed with several pools (most 1.2 m depth, except for one diving pool) and several restaurants that were reasonably priced. There’s not much immediately outside of the resort, but you could pay a 20 RMB taxi ride (about US$3) if you wanted to see the city area and beach – however, as I wanted peacefulness, I had no interest in this. I think this resort is also very well suited for families with children, as there were kid play rooms and kiddies pools throughout the resort.

Final note is that the Club Intercontinental privileges for complimentary access to their breakfast, afternoon tea, and dinner at the lounge is worth it. It’s a very comfortable and serene place to eat, rest, and read. I notice the service was better from the services in the Club Intercontinental facilities, than from the other facilities of the resort – which doesn’t surprise me that they would place their best staff for the Club Intercontinental area.

Excellent experience, where despite the initial issues, was more than sufficiently resolved by the amendments and customized service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Geoffrey R, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear bentobox007
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review and this will help us to continually improve our services. As we discussed when you were here there were some technical challenges in your room which was why you were upgraded to our Villa. I am very happy to know that you enjoyed this room and its special features. I will pass on your great comments regarding Maren - our Club manager and also Alison our Guest Relations Officer. They will be very happy to receive it. I am also gald that you enjoyed the service and serenity of our Club Intercontinental. Again I appreciate your feedback and I look forward to your next visit. Thank you Geoffrey Ryan
shanghai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I think I would have really liked this place had our room not been such a walk to everything. The place is so huge that you need to hitch rides with the golf carts to get from A to B. Plus our room took 3 flights of stairs to get to, so it really was tiring even going out for meals! In addition, ordering was a complete nightmare. Every single time we ordered ( at 3 different places), our order was wrong. The vegetarian risotto on the menu turned out to be rice with seafood and meat when received. I ordered 2 different entrees, one never came, and the other received was totally different. It just always seemed that whatever ingredients listed on the menu, were never quite the same when we got it. Rosemary potatoes arrived with bacon, the 'green' salad that said there was asparagus didn't come with it, yet had red tomatoes. This is speaking in Chinese, English, and pointing at the item on the menu! Anyhow, I do have to note though that the food at the Cantonese restaurant is very good. The other venues served pretty average food and the pizza is way too sweet (although I'm told the locals like it sweet)
Our room was very nice and comfortable though and staff on the whole were incredibly cordial.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear sjhou1
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the staff friendliness. Your feedback regarding some of the menu items has been forwarded to our Culinary team for their attention and rectification. Thank you also for your positive feedback regarding your visit to our over the sea Chinese Restaurant. We appreciate your comments and will continue to pay attention to our continuous improvement and guest service . With best regards Geoffrey Ryan
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

After two nights at the St Regis Sanya we moved to the Inter-Continental by the Xiaodonghai Bay. It looks like the whole beach is taken up by a huge property development with many high-rise blocks of residential buildings plus two hotels, one being the Inter-Continental and the being Serenity Coast Resort, a local brand.

I picked this hotel mainly because of my Starwood membership and also because I had had very good experiences at other Inter-Continental properties. Unfortunately, I didn’t look at the hotel websites’ pictures closely, and therefore did not realise that the hotel was built in the minimalist style. It was therefore a great disappointment for all of us when we got to the hotel. Somehow, we expect the “sun and beach” resort hotels to be built in tropical styles, whereas the minimalist style is probably more suited to business hotels in big cities. This is of course entirely personal.

We bought a club package which included access to the club lounge for breakfast and happy-hour snacks, an afternoon tea set for two, a dim-sum lunch set for two, cash coupons worth 500 yuan (about US$78) for food and beverages, plus free wi-fi in our room and the lounge. This was really great value, for it turned out that we didn’t need to spend any money on food and drinks at all in those two nights. The cash coupons were enough to pay for our son’s food bill.

While there were not too many choices for breakfasts, everything was so well done that we really could not complain. The cold dishes, juices, bread, yogurt, fruits and deserts were presented in a buffet style, but you could also order things like eggs and meat cooked to your liking, including eggs benedict, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes.

The happy-hour snacks from 5-7pm were even better. There was unlimited supply of alcoholic beverages (from champagne to wine and whisky), plus different kinds of snacks (including smoked salmon) and light meals (such as pastas, pies and soup) every night. For us, there was absolutely no need for dinner after the snacks.

Our Cantonese dim sum set lunch took us to the Chinese restaurant located about 100 metres offshore in a series of houses built on water. It turned out to be an all-you-can-eat lunch, each dish prepared to order. We were pleasantly surprised by the excellent quality of food, which compared favourably with that at the fine restaurants in Hong Kong where we live.

Finally, a few words about the rooms. The hotel’s main building is a high-rise (probably 12 storeys) with hundreds of rooms right behind the beach. There are two swimming pools that are open to all guests, one is a small rectangular lap pool next to the coffee shop, while the other is a huge fun pool with water slides and other facilities for the kids. Unfortunately the fun pool was closed for maintenance when we were there. The club section is located to the left of the main building near the far end of the beach. It is a sprawling two-storey structure that encircles a huge garden with numerous trees and lotus ponds. The upper-floor rooms come with balconies, while the lower-floor rooms have their private outdoor soaking pool about the size of a single bed. The view from the room is therefore very pleasant, even though the architectural style is not my cup of tea. Next to the club lounge is a sandy pool for club guests only. The problem with this pool is that you only need a few people to kick up a sandstorm, and you just cannot see anything when you’re in the water. I much prefer a crystal-clear pool.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear AllenNg2004,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. We appreciate your detailed review of your visit as it will help our team to improve our services. Your comments regarding our different architectural design are noted and I agree that this is subjective. Our resort has received numerous awards for design and style and is generally well received due to its originality and spacious contemporary feel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our Summer holiday package with all the food coupons. Our Dim Sum lunch at our over the sea Chinese Restaurant is extremely popular and the Dim Sum is fresh and delicious. Our Club pool has a sand bottom which is different from our other large pools which have a tiled bottom.
Again I thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you back at the Intercontinental Sanya Resort. With best regards Geoffrey Ryan
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

We selected this resort for its architectural design and stayed for 2 nights in a villa.

Location: Relatively near town. Unfortunately, this part of the beach isn't the prettiest especially during low tide.

Service: Efficient but cool.

Room: Clean but there's some wear & tear.

Food: Breakfast was fine. Buffet dinner was ok except that the seafood BBQ station was so crowded. We had to queue & wait for our lobster which turned out to be half-cooked.

There's nothing really bad about this resort but with the kind of options we have in Sanya, it's unlikely we will return.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We had somewhat high expectations on the property given that it was ranked top 5 in Sanya and the pictures we saw online lifted our hopes high. We even convinced 2 other families to stay here with us despite they strong inclination to stay in the 2 other best properties in this area - the Mandarin and Ritz. We actually felt sorry that they had to join us in part of the below expectation experience.

We didn't recalled being introduced to any facilities or opening hours during the check-in. Given the extensive area of the property, we actually had to look around or ask proactively where all the facilities were. The signages are so unclear and incontinuous that they won't really guide you to the destination. There was the option of buggy car transfer around the property, but the chauffeurs hardly slowed down at bumps even when kids were onboard.

We requested for a baby cot upon reservations but not until the third time we reminded them after check-in that they deliver the cot. Also, of the 4 nights we stayed, we only noticed one night of turn-down service. On the day we arrived, a chambermaid actually came after we checked into the room, confessing that the fruit plate was for the previous guest and they had forgotten to change it. Unfortunately, I already had a few bites in one of them.

My friends came a couple of days after us, but failed to locate us at the front desk because they had forgotten to put our name in the system, ie our room was still under the previous guests' name!

The property looks impressively huge in the morning, but after sunset, it transformed into a cold castle because there was hardly enough lighting around the hotel. The main hallway connecting the front office and main wing, and even the narrow and steep spiral staircase leading down to the children's playground had completely NO lighting!

Menu items were at hotel price point but street stall standard. One could immediately tell the low food cost here because most dishes were either vegetarian or made with meagre frozen seafood. Service was either laxed or inexperienced even during breakfast rush. Both the waiting staff and chefs had poor knowledge of the menu. For example questions about ingredients could not be answered with certainty and my friend had an order of eggs benedict without hollandais sauce.

At the pool and beach, only one pool attendant at the family lagoon out of the 3 pools we used in 4 days actually came proactively to offer towels or set the chairs.

In terms of housekeeping, they were stingy in offering towels and bottled water (maybe being environmental was the excuse). For the first two nights, the three of us in a room only had 2 big bath towels and 2 smaller face towels.

When asked if there were any local restaurants or markets outside the hotel, different staff members gave varying directions to the same destination, leaving us very confused. We actually repeated one of the instructions given by the hotel to the taxi driver but could not reach the destination because it was ambiguous. Yet another staff member actually discouraged us from eating out and dine in the hotel instead. If the hotel had better value for money food, we of course were willing to dine in.

All in all, there were many mishaps here and there that made our experience not perfectly 5 star. One could tell some staff members have tried very hard to offer good service. However, due to poor management and training (we actually hardly notice any managers in the restaurants or public areas!), this hotel still has a long way to become a real top 5 star property. Not to mention all the complexity of service consistency, just the fact that relatively low cost internet access was not offered is already a big demerit.

The only plus is perhaps the spaciousness and view from the rooms.

Room Tip: Book only packages through travel agents. NEVER book directly from hotel and it tends to offer very...