“The calm paradise in the heart of noisy Sanya” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 1,167 Hotels in Sanya
4.5 of 5 stars 270 Reviews
Moscow, Russia
“The calm paradise in the heart of noisy Sanya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

When we planned our stay on Hainan, first of all we expected to find a calm place where we could spend several days after busy Beijing and Hong Kong. So we chose Intercontinental for several reasons: 1. We stayed in Intercontinental on Bali last year and it was amazing 2.This is the newest hotel - it was opened only a year ago, so it was a great chance to live in a new hotel 3. This hotel stands separately from all other hotels.
When we arrive we were surprised as we were moved to the Water garden room instead of a normal room! The room was so nice. It was so spacious and it is divided into several parts. So we had a big bathroom with two separate showers (one of them was on the open air), big living room and the great terrace with the big sofa and great view to the sea and water garden.
We dreamed about the calm hotel but this hotel surpassed all expectations! It was so peacefull and ...empty. Myabe that was like that because of low season, but all swimming pools were empty or there were maximum five people!
The territory of the hotel is very big and beautiful. It is decorated with different gardens, pools and pavilions.
The breakfast was very nice with plenty of different dishes (mostly asian) with fresh juices and tropical fruits. Also we had a great meal at the Asian Village - the restaurant of asian cuisine with a big choice of dishes! If you want to go outside for a dinner - there are many local restaurants only 5 minutes away from the hotel by the taxi!
The staff was very polite and kind. If you need smth they will help you immediately!
As for the beach...We were a bit dissapointed by the beach as we are the fans of the sea and this is very important for us. The beach is quite big, but there is only a small enclosure where you can swim. And the other parts of the beach are rocky with a big quatity of stones. So if you are looking for the beach resort , I suppose that you won't be satisfied.
Totally I can say that we had a great and relaxing holidays - just what we wanted! Hope to come back again one day!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
GeoffreyRyan, General Manager at InterContinental Sanya Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Dear Erya82

Thank you for writing such a detailed summary regarding your recent stay at the Intercontinental Resort Sanya. Our team is delighted to hear that you enjoyed the resort for its Serenity and peacefulness. Even when the hotel is busy there is always a sense of space and calmness due to the unique design and architecture. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast with the selection of freshly squeezed tropical juices. The Asian Village restaurant that you enjoyed continues to produce fresh and innovative menus to reflect the flavors of Asia and the Pacific. We hope you can return soon to the Intercontinental Resort Sanya where peace and calm paradise awaits you. With best regards Geoffrey Ryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

This is a hotel with very young, friendly and helpful staff. We chose this hotel because it is new and it is not located on the Yalong bay where the crowd is. We were traveling with young children and the hotel facilities is key. The hotel has a supervised kids play area both indoor and outdoor, so besides the pool they have an alternative place to go, especially before dinner time.

Our stay at the Club rooms, give us access to the exclusive Club Lounge for breakfast, afternoon tea and evening cocktail. The Club Lounge is quiet and it has a beachfront view, it makes dining a pleasing and calming experience.

Our Club room has a small pool by the balcony, so while our younger child naps, the older child plays in the pool, and we can have a beer by the balcony watching over her.

We have only had meals at the Asian Village and the Medditerraneo restaurant. We enjoyed the food at the Asian Village better, especially the Thai curries. the Club Lounge sometimes serve up great treats at the cocktail hours from their Indonesian chef. We tried his creations - savory crepe topped with mango and Laksa prawn and they were really tasty.
The complimentary cocktail hours has a nice range of wines and spirits to choose from and to top it off, they have the Moet and Chandon champagne too for the ladies.

This holiday has been a really enjoyable and very relaxing indeed. Our girls enjoyed it so much they want to go back to Sanya and the same hotel again.

After we got back from the holiday, we realized we had left our daughter's beloved blanket in the room and we wrote to to the hotel. The concierge and the housekeeping located it and had it couriered back to us in Beijing within 3 days.

Room Tip: The ocean view Club rooms are very spacious, quiet and private.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011 via mobile

One of the best IC!!! Large area, huge spacious rooms, details, everything new! The staff has been first class, except the early morning check-out's incident (shame, shame), but overall super!

• Stayed July 2011
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Room:
We stayed in Club Intercontinental Suite. The room is facing nice ocean view. The balcony and bathroom are nice, clean and spacious as well. Would recommend to stay in Club Level because the guests could use the club pool, have free breakfast buffet, cocktail hour and free internet access.

Food:
Asian Village - We have ordered Salad, Crispy Spring Roll and Phat Thai. Both the view and the food were nice.
Lounge at Club Intercontinental - Buffet Breakfast was good. They had Chinese and Western style. I liked the hash brown. The fruit juice and fruits were also very fresh.
Mediterranean - The Dinner Buffet was TERRIBLE. It is the worst buffet I have ever eaten in a 5-star hotel....oh no, should be in my life. The pasta was tasteless but also tasted like rubber + flour. The raw food, especially the salmon fish, turned bad due to the hot weather!? The curry pork and eggplant, I could only find the eggplant skin. I went to the dessert fridge, all the dessert are melted. I tried to touch the fridge, it was never cold....The buffet costs almost 500 RMB per person... speechless

Service:
Reception - The receptionists were very friendly and willing to explain the hotel in details :)
Spa - We went into the spa reception, we couldnt find anyone in the beginning, then we saw a back door of a staff room... The staff were chitchatting, painting and polishing their nails. I was a bit shocked but they were very friendly and willing to describe the treatment in details.
Hotel Taxi - We booked a taxi from the hotel. The driver was friendly and was driving safely and slowly. We tried to tell him we would be taking an international airline; but then he dropped us in the domestic airline and we needed to walk all the way back to the international terminal.

Misc:
Beach - The beach was nice in the morning (high tide) but ugly in the afternoon (low tide). Recommend to take photos in the morning.
Pool - I think they have 4 different pools. They are all pretty nice. Would recommend the club pool :)

Guess, it's a 5 Stars Hotel in Sanya ...but 3 Stars Hotel in Asia.. a bit below standard than other Intercontinental hotels.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

My husband & I spent 3 nights in the Intercontinental last week. The property was huge and well maintained. Staff were very freindly, but mind you if you couldn't speak a bit of basic Mandarin, you'll be stuck as not everyone could speak and understand much English. We paid a little extra for an upgrade to the Club rooms, having in mind just to use the internet for free and some fruit juices during the day to cool off. To our surprise, the amount of food they served during cocktail was good enough for a dinner! There were fried prawns, quiche, vol-au-vonts, beef satay, sashimi, smoked salmon, prawn noodles, deserts etc. I loved the cream brulee. The quality was fantastic comparing with some other hotel club floors we've been to in the last few years. There's also unlimited supply of Moet Chadon on top of various Red and White wine.

Rooms are well appointed with an average of 60-80 sqm with everything you need including 2 pairs of flip flops! Bathroom was nice and spacious. The only down side was the bed, which was relatively soft (as we both like hard ones). There were a few pools and the best we enjoyed was the lap pool which we could some serious swimming. Very quiet and relaxing. The kids pool was also lovely. The gym was ok and there's hardly anyone inside. The breakfast buffet needs improvement. Lots of different kind of freshly squeezed juices, but there lacks variety of food. That said, the waffle was good. Spa is expensive. We had a one-hour spa treatment as part of the room package. It was just ok.

Lastly, the beach was clean with white sands, but lots of small stones and therefore not recommended for swimming.

Overall we are really happy with our stay, though it's quite expensive as compared with places of similar quality in Phuket.

Room Tip: get the premium room for seaview and nice breeze
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

My first ever Sanya trip, I was told many times, stay inside the resort and no need to go elsewhere. My theme of this trip, relax, room with seaview, so pool suite was not that nessesary.
I was struggling the choices with budget from $1500 to $2500 per night, first to deal with location. Luhuitou / DaDonghai/ Yalong bay/ Haitang Bay
because my return flight is in the morning, Luhuitou / Dadonghai is better choice.
Done some researches between these 2 area, Intercontinental was choice.
and booked the seaview room at the main building.
i arrived the hotel a little earlier, I was told my room is not ready and they offered me a free "upgrade" to watergarden room ( the staff was cheeky enough and said this room is charging high price, actually I know between my booking and they alternative , the price is about the same ) Why I was hesitating, because I want my room , with seaview, without any block(watregarden room stated in website said, some room is limited seaview vs my supposed 180 degree view). The staff offered me to take a look first and decide, and finally arranged the third room in WATERGARDEN ROOM area.

Transited on Golf kart and explained by the driver about the facilites about the resort, I knew I gonna love this resort. I just love their modern design, and no other resort nearby and those unwanted LED billboard display.

Inside my room (on upper deck) , it's seperated by 2 section, living/bedroom mix and a balcony connected by a bridge. Modern design, the thing i love most, the bathroom , with shower and bathtub with direct sunlight( with absolute privacy, no worry!!) the sound system is connected, Had a great bath with some relax music.

The Pool, the main attraction of this resort, mainly one big pool, big enough, the best thing to do under the sun to chill. and some 2 other seperate small pools.
Litlle to mention, I thought there was a little aquarium, indeed, its a DIVING TANK, with fish inside ( i didnt try though). The beach, let's forget it, because of the water quality and lots rock on the bottom, its not attractive when low tide.

Restaurant, Asian village and Mediterranean, both are up to above standard not overly expensive. Wanted to try Sea Pavilion, great design, located as if it's middle of the sea.
Checked the meun I guess it's a place for seafood but absolutly overpriced, coz I'm living in HK and with great variety of seafood, so I didn't want be ripped, so I passed.
The daily breakfast in Mediterranean is way over my expecatation, freshly brew coffee and fruit juice, and choices from east to west. Dinner in Mediterranean, i chose a-la-carte, instead of buffet (around $500 all-in), can be very satisfied with budget of $200 each person.

Through out my stay of 4 days 3 nights, I totally forget I'm in China ( not discriminated this country, just about the travel experience only, like typical rude/ unmanner guest), so happen did chit chat with a Netherland couple, we all agree at this point.

The staff are all friendly and helpful, thanks for giving me such great experience.
And hope to keep this resort in polished.

Little suggestion to the resort mgt, possible to install a ceiling fan in the balcony, coz the humind weather in june was hard to stay and it would be a waste.
second, possible to relocate those dock in the ocean, not sure their purpose for, fishing or gas station ??? I hope to have a 100 % beauitful sea view.

tips, there's a grocery store behind the resort and resort does offer free golf kart ride to.
saw someone mention about taxi, another tip, ask those private car(taxi) for phone number , it would be cheaper than booking thru the resort, (this is applicable for whole sanya)

one complaint would like to file, my toilet bowl was not cleaned enough, some toilet paper left and blood stained, photo taken and not gonna share because my love to this resort and i didn't bother to file complaint to ruin my stay.

Room Tip: i booked it thru chinese travel site,
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011 via mobile

I was there for 3 nights and had a absolutely great expierence at this hotel. The check in was fine, we were upgraded to a bigger room with very small ocean view when I paid for ocean view, the front desk then quickly found another room at 11th floor so I was able to get my ocean view room! The breakfast was great with lots of choices, the bar was good too. The pool was awesome because most of the time it was just me and my fiancé and we almost literally fell asleep by the ocean when the day was breezy.
Only downside about this place is getting a taxi, the hotel will call their own taxi to take you places but it will cost you more of course. Other than that, this is probably the best hotel I've stayed in!!! Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to InterContinental Sanya Resort? Share your experiences!