“Great Facilities and Location, Okay otherwise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Resort Sanya Bay

You added Howard Johnson Resort Sanya Bay to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Resort Sanya Bay
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   No.188 Sanya Bay Road, Haipo Holiday Resort, Sanya 572000, China (Sanya Bay)   |
Ranked #35 of 1,173 Hotels in Sanya
Shanghai
“Great Facilities and Location, Okay otherwise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

A couple of friends and I stayed here for a week and it was a great experience. Although the hotel rooms we stayed in were not the best (and lacked a window that separated the bathroom and the room itself), the facilities like the pool and the location was great. I spent pretty much all of my day either in the pool (where they have 3 different ones) or at the beach (which was a 3-5 minute walk).
The food offered for breakfast and dinner was buffet style but not too good if you like western food or can cook yourself. It's just really simple things like for breakfast: fried egg, bacon, potatoes, yogurt, etc. However, I really enjoyed the selection of fresh fruits at the meals like dragon fruit, watermelon, melons, and even mangoes. Also, for breakfast there occasionally was coconut juice and that was different.
The service was pretty decent and the maids were especially nice.
This location is perfect for those who want to relax and go to the beach all day; there just isn't much else to do otherwise. I would go back mostly because of the nice pools and location; the rooms don't bother me too much because I was exhausted by the end of the anyway.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First of all I want to apologize form my bad English – it´s not my mother language but I hope you can follow.

To the topic – the Howard Johnson in Sanya -
I will start with the conclusion: AVOID IT!

So why is that? To be fair, it´s not an “all bad” place. No, there are really some pros to the place.
It has got a nice pool, beautiful garden, very good access to a nice beach. The breakfast is not the best but far from bad and still above average. The rooms are definitely not my taste but other people might like them.

You might ask yourself how I can come to the conclusion that the HoJo should be avoided.
Well – lets say the hardware is nice but the software needs improvement. If it happens that you´ve got a problem, you will find no help there. Of course, the stuff is trained to listen to you - nod to your words and if appropriate apologize. But they won’t understand a word you are saying. Of course they are not able to speak English which would be an explanation. But I am able to speak Chinese – so it´s not a language barrier I am talking about.

Just an example: First day – no room service. Second day – No room service till the afternoon. But we were able to catch the cleaning persoal on the floor and led them to our room. They quickly do the bedsheets and before we can turn our heads they are gone again. Trashcans not emptied no fresh towels, floor not wiped and so on – just the bedsheets. So the third day we put out the sign at our door handle saying “room service please” and went into town. When we returned in the evening the picture is the same. The beds are made but everything else is untouched. The garbage cans are stinking by then. So I go down to the reception and ask for room service. The poor girls job at the reception is to nod and apologize and agree. But will she do anything? You got it. Two hours later there is still no sign of the cleaning personal.

For many years as a student I used to stay in cheap youth hostels. You have to bring out your garbage by yourself. In general I really have no problem with that. But I should be informed about this unusual practice – after all the HoJo is no youth hostel.

I could go on with other examples but I think it´s better to describe my general impression of the stuff and the hotel. Are they unfriendly? No. In fact they are very friendly. Are they unwilling to help? No – I think most of them are trying their best.

But will they help you? No, and that´s the problem. They are just very untrained. There is no responsible superior to be found. And the poor reception girls are only trained to nod and apologize and agree.

So my impression of this place is that they are trying to reduce costs by using the cheapest labor they can find. I´d also guess that they are understuffed.

I traveled a lot and stayed in many places. I do know that the number of stars is not directly correlating with the quality of the hotel. But the HoJo in Sanya sets a steep example for a great facade but nothing behind it.
So my final words: You will easily find cheaper places that deliver a better package.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2015

When there with family of 6 people. The hotel room is nice and comfortable, the breakfast is good, international style, the Concierge was very polite and helpful and the out door pool is not bad also. The out-door playground for children is not bad to let the children to play.

The only thing looks bad in the indoor pool looks very dirty, the lifts needs improvement, the garden needs more area cleaning.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Almaty, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2015

Went there with my family of 4 people. We booked a 2 bedroom suit, and it was great! Very comfortable, bright and spacious. Seafood buffet dinner at main restaurant was very nice, we ate there 3 evenings out of 4. Concierge was very polite and helpful. Only bad thing I have to mention about happened the first day we arrived. We were very hungry after travelling, and went to the main restaurant for lunch. We had to wait for around 15 minutes and only then a waiter told us that there is no gas so they can't cook food,but it didn't really affect our vacation, and it went very well! :-)

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Stockholm
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2015

This is a crap hotel. They may call it four and a half star as much as they want. On the first look it might look like a good hotel but they don´t meet up to any standards on being a five star hotel. It is run down. There are lots of pools and they are nice and was not crowded but there are chunks of tiles are missing. The covers on the sun beds are worn out and holes in them. The rooms are ok but it is open between the bathroom/toilet and the bedroom with just a thin curtain in-between that you can see through. The lobby was beautiful and lovely to spend time in.

The breakfast is ok when it comes to choices but they don´t keep the food cold so we were hesitant about trying lots of it. If you are down to breakfast late they will be out of lots of things. Sometimes they bring it out if you ask. There is no water to drink, just juices and coffee/the. The service is terrible.

The service is horrible. You have to clear the breakfast table yourself if there is no free table. When you check in you leave a 1000 RMB deposit which is normal but when you order from room service or anything else you sign to the room they deduct it from the deposit. No one tells you this. When we went and had a massage we didn't have enough left on our deposit so they wanted us to pay with card or cash. Told them I could go to my room and get a card and come back. They looked scared and said that they wanted to follow me. So we went back to the room with a woman following us like criminals. It is not the woman's fault. She was nice but they system is strange. Is that how you show your customers trust? Then we ordered room service and we had to pay cash. Again it felt like they didn't trust us.

You have to sing to get towels at the pool and you have to return them and make sure they sign that as well or you have to pay 300 RMB when you check out.

The service is terrible. Hardly none speak English and the once that do speak badly. But then we are in China and not that many western turists around. Most of them are trying. The wifi is very unreliable. Sometimes it works fine and other times it doesn't work at all. It is better in the lobby then in the rooms. They keep knocking and ringing the door in the morning to clean even if you have the pressed the button do not disturb.

It is not even in a nice location. Choose another hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2014

The Hotel is HUGE. But well taken care of. Most value for your Moolah. It has 5 pools, several hot spring pools and private beach area!! Food is great. A band plays every evening and they are good. Food is better than the rest of Sanya- quality and price wise. Staff is super efficient. Every one of them from the bell boy to the receptionist. Service is prompt and pleasing. There was an English speaking staff by name "Summer". She was extremely helpful even when we landed well past midnight and queried like maniacs. I would recommend this hotel to everyone visiting Sanya. As the location is convenient from the airport, grocery stores and other highlights. Did I mention the sweeping view of the Sunset on the beach from your room??

Room Tip: Get the Ocean view rooms.