“Great location and value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Sun City Hotel
No.16A Longhua Road, Haikou 570102, China   |
Ranked #38 of 547 Hotels in Haikou
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great location and value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Situated in front of three junctions connected with overhead bridge. Pedestrian friendly area with lots of shops, restaurants, massage parlor, fast food chain within walking distance. The room is okay, comfortable bed, clean sheets, don't expect sparkling clean toilets but overall it is acceptable. We called to make last minute booking and the front desk staff is friendly and accommodating. Great stay for a night or two.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Hotel was located within nearby shopping centres & restaurants. The room was clean but due to its location, pls do not stay with room facing the traffic as the sound of car & motor bike horning seem never stop till early morning after maybe 1 am. The food at the Chinese restaurant in the hotel was quite good. Have only wifi in hotel lobby area & guests like myself with ipad will have problem accessing to internet in the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

A nice Hotel near Restaurants and Shopping area.
It is located near the road junction so it can be quite noisy in the morning and peak hours.
We stayed in Business room @ Level 21 with in-room PC and internet access. Cost about RMB308 per room per nite
Nice Dim Sum Resturant. 24Hr KFC and Mc Donald
Near Oriental Plaza and I think Friendship Mall and some small shops around datong and jiefang road selling clothes and accessories
Overall good location. Near for shopping and dinning.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We spent 5 nights in Sun city. Overall, it's a good hotel if you're not too picky. We stayed in a family room with 2+1 bed. The room was cleaned everyday and staffs are quite friendly.
The housekeeping though is an issue. Housekeeping lady kept taking shortcuts to cleaning our room. Eventhough she washed the the toilets and made the bed, but she never bothered to clean the cups and plates.
Another down point is when we arrived, there was this tour agent guy who kept bugging us to take his tour which we politely rejected. On our first night there, we received a call in our hotel room which is from this tour agent guy. Makes us wondered how he got our room number in the first place. Decided to let the issue go by until when we checked out, the hotel staffs quoted us on some missing items which we did not take. When we mentioned about the tour agent, the frontdesk lady kept asking questions on when he called and stuffs.

Also, this is a 4-star hotel, which I blatantly assumed that the tenants are at least civilized. Right opposite my room and next to as well, the male tenants was walking around the floor wearing only underwear like it's an indoor beach or something! And not just one person, the entire group was walking around in their underwear! I am a young female with an even younger sister. I wished the hotel staffs could do something about that. It's a 4-star hotel for god sake! And if I want to see young men in underwear, I could just go to Sanya beach.

On the plus side, the restaurant food was great and there was a PC with internet in my room. Location of the hotel is good as it's within walking distance to the city.

This hotel is good if you just need a place to sleep and shower. Might as well get a cheaper hotel then :)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

Very centralised location with shops and food at your doorstep. Service is not too friendly though. I paid 296RMB for a standard room via the hotel website, inclusive of buffet breakfast. Upon arrival, the buffet breakfast was changed to set menu instead, with only 2 choices and the food is not nice though the serving is huge.
I lost my breakfast voucher on my 1st day and was rejected when I requested for another voucher, claiming that the previous vouchers serial no had been keyed into their system and can't be change. Thought it makes it even easier when you have the voucher no record. They told me my breakfast will be forfeited in that case till I insisted and was given the vouchers again relunctantly. It just evidently shows how much the hotel staff is willing to help their hotel guests. I was also given a room on the ladies floor though I'm travelling with my partner which is so unexpected from a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. All in all, I would say that the hotel gives great value for money. Here's why:

Room: I booked a Business Room (with computer), located on the 21st floor. The room was spacious and comfortable, with a good size bathroom (that even has a phone). The aircon works well. Many channels on TV. Great view of the city. And there's even a PC that's connected to the internet ! (although not that high speed). I have stayed in many hotels around the world, and would daresay that there's none with this satisfactory level of comfort that comes with an internet-connected PC for only USD 40. I noted some previous reviewer mentioning that there's need to re-validate your room cardkey everyday; I did not find this to be true - I never needed to do that.

Location: the hotel is bounded by a few shopping malls, eg the Oriental Mall on its left (looking out from the hotel). The malls are connected by pedestrian bridges, so you can visit them in a circular manner by using the bridges. There are many small ethnic eateries to the left and right of the hotel selling food at very cheap prices, yummy....You can hail a cab from the street corner. Most trips within the city costs only CNY10 (the flag-down fare). And if you're the adventurous type (like me), there's a bus stop just nearby.

Dining: there's a very good Cantonese restaurant on the 5th floor. Breakfast Dim Sum is really cheap, only CNY27 for 3 dishes. I noticed many local patrons, so the food must be authentic. I also noticed that many China men are heavy smokers, and there was no smoke-free section in the restaurant. However, I believe this is the norm throughout Hainan, or even China itself.

Service: I had to summon someone to check out some small problem with the TV, and the response was quick. When the first staff could not fix the problem, she summoned her supervisor who did. The reception staff was friendly. Even the bellhop/doormen freely dispensed tips on sightseeing spots when I asked them. As my flight out is at 5pm, I requested for a late checkout, and was immediately given 2pm by Ms Gao Ping Ling, a Sales/Guest Relations Manager who was at the reception at the time of my request. She also personally showed me to the restaurant for lunch. As I understand from her, the hotel has been chosen by the Chinese government as one of the few in Haikou where government officials are mandated to stay in when they are in town. Her professionalism and service-oriented atttiude was the icing on the cake for the service level of the hotel.

Note that I have no language problem as I'm a Chinese myself (although not from China). I have not spoken English to any of the staff, so I cannot vouch for their English language ability. I would definitely stay in the hotel again if I re-visit because of its superb value, and would not hesitate to recommend it to my friends also.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Sin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

stayed in the hotel from 30 Mar 08 to 2 April 08 in room 1715. Centralised.near major shopping centres. Good cantonese restaurant on 5th floor. Crowded most of the times. Coffee house on 3rd floor. Served good western breakfast.Room reasonably good. Good TV programme with pay movies.
Corrridor dim. Have difficulty seeing key slot.Require you to activate your key card every day. Or you would be locked out.Require you to deposit Y300 for phone calls.
On check in, I was given a complimentary breakfast voucher. On checkout, I was asked to pay Y18 for the breakfast voucher and Y8 per day for charges I did not understand and which the Hotel did not explain at check in.
My impression is that the hotel or the receptionist was out to fleece foreign guest.

Stayed March 2008

Been to Sun City Hotel? Share your experiences!