“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Spa Resort Hainan

You added Crown Spa Resort Hainan to your Saves list
Crown Spa Resort Hainan
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Qiongshan Avenue, East Riverside, Haikou 571100, China   |
Ranked #17 of 560 Hotels in Haikou
Clementon, NJ
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This resort was a little off the beaten path and to be honest there was nothing to do outside of the resort. However when we did go off the resort we were followed for pictures. My husband and I are both African Anerican he is 6'4 and I am 5'7. It was interesting to see the reaction of our presence here. The nice thing which at first was unusual to me but eventually it made sense. During the day the pools are empty at night once the sun goes down everyone comes out. Be careful through there is bleaching cream in the lotion. I had the most relaxing experience at the spa. Very clean and the oils that I bought were amazing - great for meditation. The food was amazing and nicely priced to be honest we did not feel trapped by not going off of the resort. Typically we are on the go when we travel but we were forced to relax which was nice. Especially nice for my husband since I'm the one typically dragging him from one excursion to another.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The open area of Crown Spa Resort was a beautiful oasis in the midst of a not so great area. There are unfinished building projects or renovations in all of the surrounding properties. However, our purpose in being there was to relax. The resort was not crowded and the atmosphere was quiet and peaceful.

The beach in front of the hotel is clean and well cared for, but the waves were rough and there were warnings that it was not safe at this time of year. The pool was clean and delightful. The weather was perfect. We had a sea view room that was spacious.

We enjoyed the staff. Although their English was not great and our Chinese was even worse, they made every effort to answer any questions we had and help us in many ways. We appreciated the communication that resulted from these efforts. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We have extended family that live in Hainan, and every time we come to visit, we stay at this hotel. (We've tried a few--this is our favorite.)

It's a very "American-style" hotel: anything you could ask for, you can probably find it within resort boundaries. The resort has its own section of beach, which it grooms well (moonlit walks on the beach are divine!). There are extravagant pools and fancy landscaping. The staff speak English and are well trained, and the spa is very nice. Honestly, it feels just like a typical Hawaiian resort--which is precisely why we come here when we're visiting family (which is stressful enough!).

The rooms are standard sized, and cookie-cutter type. Hardwood floors, a small sitting area, clean. The spa is our favorite--we always get the fish therapy treatment (it tickles, but it's fun! Plus the spa attendants are sweet).

On-site restaurants: The complimentary breakfast is wide in variety but average in quality (offers both western and Chinese dishes). The other restaurants are awesome though--in particular the noodle shop! No trip is complete without these fresh noodles (you watch them make it! It's beautiful. I particularly recommend the tomato egg noodles....drool....). Pricey in comparison to the real cost of food in China, but hey, you're in a resort (prices still come out ok when converted to USD)

Crown Spa seems to have closed off a few of their buildings, so the property looks a little derelict on the outer edges. The resort is located in a really random, out of the way corner--close to the airport, but not much else (it's barren, practically). Also, Hainan in July/August is HOT HOT HOT and HUMID. You've been warned.

It's not a JW Marriott (for that quality, you should go to Sanya. Now that's classy!). But for Haikou, and for the price we paid, it's very solid. Makes for a good 2-3 night getaway (I think I'd be bored if I were to stay much longer).

Room Tip: They charge extra for the sea view rooms, but you might get lucky with a standard room that you can...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Good hotel with fabulous swimming pool right on miles of sandy beach. If swaying palm trees, lying by the pool and balmy weather are in your plans this is a good place to stay. People said the spa facilities and services are first rate.
Adequate English spoken at the front desk and currency exchange with a good rate. Located out of town there is a shuttle bus to the nearest store where you can get cabs for $10 to anywhere in town. The Haikou museum is right across the street from where the shuttle bus drops and it is a beaautiful and excellent museum with a vivid history of this area. Concierge arranged a driver for us to tour the Central Highlands countryside for about Y400/day ($65). We went to the Volcanic Cluster Park in Shishan town where we climbed to the rim and descended into the volcanic crater which is overgrown with vegetation (excellent value at about Y60 or $10). Also spent several hours at an extensive Buddhist Temple complex that climbs a mountain (sorry I can't remember the name) but well worth finding.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Macau, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed in this hotel twice, in April and June, 2011. The hotel itself is huge and I wonder what the developers might have had in mind when they decided to embrace such an ambitious project in a remote part of the island. I believe the local government is spending a great deal of effort to develop the area as the hotel surroundings are being occupied by luxury residences which, reportedly, are destined to the personnel from one of the national airline companies. Being that big and located in a area still under development, it should therefore come as no surprise that a large part of the complex is completely derelict. Some services are not available as advertised and the travelers (especially those coming from far away countries who might be full of expectations) should be advised not to expect a truly international 5-star experience. Some amenities, such as the foot and body massage, are a bit too expensive (especially when compared to average local prices). I tried the spa once. It is located on the opposite side of the hotel’s main entrance. The sauna rooms were clean and the fish treatment was not that expensive and quite enjoyable. The resort runs a complimentary shuttle bus service between the hotel and the RT-Mart, a shopping complex where local products could be purchased at a reasonable price. Besides coconuts and other tropical fruits, Hainan Island is also famous for its coffee and a large variety of spices, standing out the black and white peppers. The staff, although the limited knowledge of English, is courteous and helpful as usual at the majority of Chinese 5-star hotels. The breakfast was good and included a large variety of fruits, bread, coffee and hot dishes (mostly Chinese). Room was clean although one could point out some maintenance issues such as dirty drapery, stained carpets and mold in some areas of the bathroom. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi in the lobby. The pools are nice, clean and well kept. They are fully integrated into the garden design and once you are inside is possible to enjoy the beautiful landscape of the South China Sea. The private beach is clean but once you walk out a few meters the sands are literally covered with all kinds of waste. The worst part, however, is the sea water itself. After swimming, I felt my body soaked in oil most probably spilled from one of the several oil tankers that pass through the South China Sea waters. Overall, the hotel is nice, with a spacious and lush environment and a lot of greenery. I have been living and working in the Southeast China for over 20 years and in my opinion this hotel is good for LOCAL travelers. If you are coming from far away and expecting a dream stay at a 5-star resort I strongly advise you to go to Sanya 三亞 (located at the southern tip of the island) where all the international hotel chains are established. TIP: For the adventurous travelers who might be willing to try the local specialties such as the Hainan chicken and Hainan rice, I strongly recommend the QCW Restaurant where the locals eat in Haikou. Food is delicious and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea are sunny and quieter.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I feel this is my obligation as a traveler to WARN other travelers. This resort is going thru a major construction and the grounds of the hotel as well as the rooms are just horrific. To my dismay, there is nowhere on the Crown Spa Resort’s website anything mentioned regarding the construction so please BEWARE before you spend a lot of $$$$ to fly across the World to this so called 5 star resort.
Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not reading other reviews on Trip Advisor this one time and exchanged my timeshare week for this resort. I could not be more surprised to see what I saw when I arrived. They advertise themselves as a 5 star resort and I would give it 1 star for the property and the condition that it is currently in and 3 stars for the staff that was very friendly and helpful. I know that there are some positive reviews which still shock me to this day, however if you are traveling across the World to a resort that is rated a 5 star and have beautiful pictures posted on their website you have set expectations. I have traveled all over the World and was never as disappointed as this time and I have seen it all from 1-5 star resorts. This resort I am sure was beautiful like on the pictures but 20 years ago however I am afraid that the management just forgot to update their website. They only have two buildings open, the main building where we stayed at and the Spa building. They have 3-4 derelict buildings which are next to the main building, fountains, pools with pipes/wires lying around. Nothing is fenced off (there was one fence half broken) and my kids easily walked up to the abandoned buildings which did not have any doors/windows and could have been hurt. The ONLY pool that was open was filthy. My 7 year old refused to get in it. There was MOLD everywhere in the pool; there was a pool bar which was not open and not cleaned in a very long time however the water was still flowing between the main pool and the pool bar. The rooms were appalling, the bathroom especially. We changed the rooms twice and both smelled awful. We had to keep the balcony door open all night due to the smell and my kids were bitten by mosquitoes so badly I had to give them Benadryl in the morning. If you look at the pictures that I posted you will see what I am talking about, mold, fungus and debris everywhere. I could continue for another page however if you look at the pictures you will not make the same mistake I did. We lasted there only 3 nights instead of 7 and we moved to a different resort on the other side of the town HNA Beach and Spa Resort which was truly a 5 star resort.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Haikou
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Stayed for two weeks during Chinese Spring Festival. I live in China so it was nice to have authentic western food. Pizza and mexican were great, pool was clean and right on the beach. The beach was private and clean, I visited a few other beaches in the area, pretty dirty, especially Holiday Beach. A little remote but the shuttle bus was convenient. It was a nice quiet stay, will book again if I come back to Haikou.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Crown Spa Resort Hainan? Share your experiences!