“Great hotel for that price” 4 of 5 stars

Hainan Airlines Mingguang Hotel
No.9 Nanhai Avenue, Longhua District, Haikou 570216, China   |
Ranked #4 of 487 hotels in Haikou
Singapore, Singapore
“Great hotel for that price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

After spending 3 nights in sanya's marriott and spa resort, we stayed for 1 night at this hotel before catching our flight back to sg. We were pleasantly surprised that service wise, they were up to par with marriott. The front desk check in lady spoke equal or better english to the marriott's, and they actually have a concierge, while marriott did not. (although marriott is still a very nice hotel...read my review at the marriott site on marriott hotel as well as train tips to and from yalong bay)

One tripadvisor person told me there is a good massage place opp this hotel, and we saw it...it was huge..but we didnt have time to try it.

The hotel is quite close to the shopping areas by taxi..about rmb15. We didnt enjoy the shopping malls but the night market was quite interesting, especially when the authorities came..it was interesting to see the speed at which the vendors cleared up and within minutes, setting up again.
I find that shopping in haikou is nothing to shout about but i enjoyed walking the streets and seeing the locals do their thing.

Next to the hotel there are some shops so if you want some local feel, head there and go towards the back street where there is a wet market. We had breakfast there and also bought some buns for the flight back.

The room is pretty good, drinks in the mini fridge (water, some soft drinks and beer) were free. Its clean and quite spacious, only thing is you get a queen size bed instead of king, so sleep was not so good because there were 2 of us. Also you get one proper pillow and one cushion, instead of 2 proper pillows.
Overall quite happy with our stay especially since the rate is quite reasonable.

Room Tip: If there is 2 of you, ask for twin room or king bed as our double room only came with queen bed and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Spokane, WA USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

After readng other reviews I chose this hotel and was very disappointed. It did not match the reviews. Our rooms were small and worn out. They are in need of updating. My non-smoking room had burns and stains in the carpet. The whole place seemed like it had seen better days. One look at the carpet and I was grossed out. Perhaps they have renovated rooms, but we did not get one. They breakfast buffet was adequate but the staff was incredibly inefficient. In fact all the staff seemed very young and inexperenced. When we asked for a city map at the front desk, we had to sign for it. The concierge did not seem to know where anything was. Overall, I was disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here for our golf game outside Mission Hill. Was offered Oscar Hotel but opted for this as it is a "5-star". Seemed that all the international 5-stars are all in Sanya and this is supposed to be the best.

Upon arrival at the lobby, I know it is not to be. A very typical china check-in lobby and coffee house await us. Unlike some of the really good local 5-star at some other cities in China, this one is really.....(omg)!!!

The arrangement in the room seemed odd. A small kitchen area without cooker should have been put into better use. Anyway, suspect that this hotel was meant to be sold as service or studio apartments. Bed is ok, thin mattress with 1 pillow/ guest. Slippers in the room are re-usable; made of rubber and washable, not properly wrapped in plastic bag. Shower gel and shampoo are those local brands that are bought at local supermarkets. Sofa covers are stained....How to qualify for a 5-star hotel!!!!!!???????

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I highly recommend the Mingguang Hotel for stays in Haikou. It's among the best hotels I have ever stayed in! The service is quite good with many small touches. For example, there is always someone at the elevators to push the button you as you are walking from the lobby to the hotel - so there is an elevator waiting for you by the time you get to them.

I had left a Chinese-style hotel in the middle of the night because the air conditioning didn't work and they didn't have another room available. The Mingguang welcomed me at an early morning hour - IN ENGLISH - and even ensured I only had to pay a half day the last day, when they could have charged me for a whole day. They are the only hotel that I stayed at in China that spoke more that 5 words of English.

The room was the best I stayed in during my month in China where we traveled to Shanghai, Beijing and Xi'an. It had a full wardrobe closet, perfect lighting and drawers, a very nice television that even had American baseball on one of the stations. Other hotels didn't have half as many hotels. Most other hotels only had the smallest of closets. The internet was fast and very reliable.

The gym is the best gym I've ever seen in a hotel - really. It had better equipment than most gyms (even non-hotel gyms) in the U.S., everything I'd I basically had the place to myself ever morning. The gym staff was helpful - ensuring I knew how to use the equipment. The pool at the gym was . The gym floor also had a half basketball court outside and a ping pong table and yoga room inside.

The staff was very helpful - an iron and ironing board were brought immediately. Taxi's - which can be hard to get in China - were found immediately by the friendly bells. We had issues during checkout due to mismatches between the hotel's rules and CTrip's rules and the unusual 2 AM checkin time. Albe Wang and Julie Wang were very helpful - they called CTrip right away and corrected the problem so that I was on my way quickly without a hitch.

My wife's family lives nearby and I plan on staying at the Mingguang Hotel each year when we visit Haikou.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Having frequent Haikou over the past few year, I must say that this is the best hotel I've stayed. Nice big rooms but design and settings are a little odd. Good selection of tv channels but sadly the rooms are not equipped with wifi internet.

Front Desk staff are quite friendly and efficient but the doormen (except one young guy) really brought down the overall service level of this hotel so much so that my friends took turns to chide them off.

Usage of swimming pool is not really free to hotel guests. All guests are required to bring our own swimming caps or purchase from the counter at RMB 38 each. After the purchase is made, none of the pool staff is bothered whether we put them on or not. Makes us wonder if this is a guise to charge "entrance fee".

Food at the second level Chinese restaurant is ok but rather expensive and the waitresses seems untrained and uninterested.

The hotel's 24 hour stay policy is really distinct. Ignoring the above bad services, I will definitely choose to stay in this hotel in my future visits.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the service entrances. The sound of door opening and closing round the clock is...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Epe, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

typical chinese style hotel but well organized with friendly staff.
good chinese kitchen.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Having been stuck in Haikou in a Typhoon for 3 days, even on the 4th day we couldn't leave due to flash flooding & even taxis were not running. So the management instead of continuing our stay for an extra night, stated they cant do so and that we must rebook with which they actually put the rate up on us knowing we couldn't leave!!! Really BAD attitude and they completely took advantage of our delemma. In addition we had been bitten by unseen bugs in the room and when we requested bug spray we were told they don't have any and they cant help us. The only solution was change rooms during the night! Absolutely Pitiful and arrogant attitude of Management and so warn you not to stay in a typhoon!. However, the bell boys, room cleaners and the food service staff really tried their best to make it a pleasant stay as possible.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hainan Airlines Mingguang Hotel? Share your experiences!