“WONDERFUL! Looking forward to heading back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Venice Hotel Shenzhen

You added The Venice Hotel Shenzhen to your Saves list
The Venice Hotel Shenzhen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.9026 Shennan Road, Overseas City, Nanshan District, Shenzhen 518053, China (Overseas Chinese Town)   |
Ranked #24 of 2,133 Hotels in Shenzhen
4.5 of 5 stars 713 Reviews
Sanbornville, New Hampshire
“WONDERFUL! Looking forward to heading back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

This is a top rated hotel and just a wonderful experience. The hotel is just BEAUTIFUL. The staff is very professional and just amazingly friendly and pleasant. Communication is MUCH easier than we had expected and the English skills of the staff at all levels is really impressive. We have all the amenities at our fingertips: concierge, pool, gym, business center, food, and the V Bar (the “hottest bar in the city” according to word on the street)!

For more, see my blog posting: http://kmcoyle.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/life-at-the-crowne-plaza-in-shenzhen-is-very-very-good%E2%80%A6/

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

This Crowne does a nice job... The rooms are large and clean. I had a room with two double beds, and it was around 600 sq ft with a large sitting area, two terraces, and an immense bathroom with seperate shower and tub. The breakfast buffet offers a nice variety of choices. The staff speaks good English. It is in a nice location near a mall with some dining and shopping options.

...but... The hotel has retained some of its "pre-Crowne" trappings with a kitchy Venice theme, which is in my opinion overdone. For example, the bathroom had a large stone Lion of St Mark between the tub and the toilet. I'm sure it works for the tourists who stay there when visiting Window of the World, which is across the street. The food available for dinner in the cafe was only OK -- something you might expect from a 2-3 star hotel in a backwater, and the cafe itself has the ambiance of a school cafeteria. The mattress seemed very hard. I like a mattress that hugs me a little. This was more like a trampoline.

I stay at this hotel because I have a corporate rate. It is a decent hotel. However, it can not be mistaken for a high-end, luxury property in it's current life. I am in between on whether to recommend or not. I will go with Yes. There are not any deep quality issues that make it a poor value. It is too quirky for my tastes, though.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Very suprise to find a nice hotel with good service and facilites.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Walvis Bay, Namibia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

This hotel is ideally located for business travelers as well those wanting to visit the window of the world in Shenzhen.
The hotel staff is great and the club-floor is quite a place to be for a sun-downer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Stayed overnight in that hotel on my way to Shanghai. Rather close to Airport. Very good standard at hotel. Room was very spacious. Internet available in the room. They have japanese and italian restaurants in the hotel. I had business diner at japanese restaurant - not busy at all - ok but very boring atmosphere.
Breakfast is very good - european and asian style.
Bar at swimming pool (inside) charged some hundreds RMB as basic fees - we went inside as it just rained so outside tables were wet - it was totally empty and still want to charge like 200-300RMB just to be able to sit...so we left without ordering.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

I'm a frequent traveler, and have written tons of reviews on this site, and I really have to say this is one of the nicest hotels in which I've ever stayed (top 1%). I've stayed at quite a few Crowne Plazas in the US, and this isn't like any Crowne Plaza I've ever been to before. The lobby and other facilities (restaurants, pool, executive lounge, gym) are all attractive and well-maintained. The service was top-notch from the moment I arrived until the moment I left: when I asked, upon leaving, the directions to the subway stop to take me to Hong Kong, the bellhop actually took my luggage all the way to the stop!
The room size was palatial, and it was very well insulated from noises: no sound from other rooms, the hallways, or the street. Everything worked well and was spotlessly clean, of course. The view of the Windows of the World theme park and the bay towards Hong Kong was great. If I had been there on a week-end, there would have been fireworks. The hotel is also within fairly easy walking distance of Splendid China (about 750 meters), which is the park I visited (highly recommended--I didn't go to the WoW park though). Internet access was free (often I find high-end hotels won't include this).
The executive lounge had ample food for the morning and the evening receptions, as well as a good selection of top-shelf alcohol. The hotel is an easy walk to the nearest subway stop, which, unfortunately, is not labeled "Windows of the World" as some guides indicate, but rather Shijie Zhichuang. Subway announcements are made in perfect US English (a bit of a culture jolt when going to Hong Kong and having to get used to British English, not to mention HK's driving on the left, of course).
This hotel gets my enthusiastic recommendation. My only suggestion for improvement would be to increase the temperature of the pool water.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights in May 2010 for a business trip. I had never been in Shenzhen before so I was expecting giant factories assembling all sorts of manufactured goods. Instead we drive through a giant city and we come out in an amusement park area with this Venetian-themed hotel. I was confused to say the least.

The bell-boys are dressed in Gondolier outfits and the lobby is done in faux Venetian Gothic architecture. But otherwise, there isn't much else to the Venetian theme.

The rooms are standard business class. The bedding is nice down comforter which seems to be the standard in China. The beds were slightly harder then I preferred but I got use to it. The bathroom decor is nice red marble and dark wood. Internet was included in the room price which was nice.

The breakfast buffet was only average in my opinion. Not terrible, but not outstanding either. I didn't have a chance to try the other restaurants.

The lobby staff does speak English, but I wouldn't say they were particularly expert at it. I was traveling onto Kowloon/Tsim-Sha-Tsui and when I asked for the best way to get to hotel there, it took a grand total of six employees to figure out what was the best way to get me there. They did find a good bus service that got me to within 3 blocks of my Kowloon hotel and even walked me to the bus station across the street from the hotel. So good service from that point of view.

But I was disappointed that the Concierge desk didn't have this info more readily available. Initially, both the Concierge desk and the Business Centre keep trying to sell me tickets to the bus that comes to their hotel, which wasn't the best travel choice to me.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Venice Hotel Shenzhen? Share your experiences!