“Reliable Western Food in Shekou” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Reliable Western Food in Shekou”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Our factory's western management team started eating here years and years ago. Compared to lots of the other Shekou "western" restaurants, it is good value for money, with large portions and good flavours. They deliver to our home and to our office which is quite a ways away, and the food is still hot and fresh. I love that about China and Gypsy's in particular.....lots of staff means quick delivery. It can be loud, and I have been a couple of times when (usually European groups) take advantage of the fact that China has not caught up to the non-smoking world, and puff away with no regard to other clients. But I have been here about twenty times and this has only happened twice. Perhaps management should be thinking of better ventilation - there will be lots of customers - more and more - who hate this. Angelo's not far away is non-smoking but a little more expensive. I have never seen any issues with discouraging children - always lots of families here. But sometimes I notice westerners let their kids run amok. I might ask them to manage their kids too, if I was the owner. So, I guess it depends on your priorities, and what one thinks is appropriate restaurant behavior for kids. BUT as far as food and service goes, I like this place alot. The waitresses always remember us, and have been there a long time, so offer a pretty good standard of service. One of our guys won't eat anywhere else unless forced!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Aptos, California
“The owner don't like children but smokers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Gypsy's offers good food but many Westerns with children would stop coming to this restaurant after being told to carefully manage their children. The way it comes out show a strong dislike of families. On the other hand, I asked to keep a door open so the smoke could go out, but the owner wanted it to be closed so he won't loss smoker clients. A sign should be put out saying, children are not welcome here but smokers are!

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Shenzhen, China
“Great atsdt in Sea World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was told when I arrived in Shekou that Gypsy's had good food and they were right. I have only eaten there twice, both for lunch but both times was good, a bit pricey but ridiculously big servings.

Visited September 2012
Cape Breton
“The food and the service are amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I have been there twice and I can only say I enjoyed every morsel,each time. I had the steak the first trip and the pesto chicken the second. My husband was on his third trip and had lamb the first two times and had the chicken tagine this time and he too was really impressed. The food is really really good and tasty and the prices are more than reasonable for the quality of the meals. I love this place!

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good, international restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

This restaurant is very popular among the expats in Shekou.
Main dishes are RMB100-180, but quite good value-for-money. Imported lamb and beef. Decent wine card. While it certainly is an international restaurant, many options seems to be mediterranean or moroccan.

• Visited May 2012