“Best hotel in Shenzhen!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt Shenzhen

You added Grand Hyatt Shenzhen to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt Shenzhen
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1881 Bao'an South Road, Luohu District, Shenzhen 518001, China (Luohu Port)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #4 of 2,143 Hotels in Shenzhen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Best hotel in Shenzhen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We liked the location because the hotel was near a very good shopping mall. The room was very comfortable, with a great rain shower. We loved the Italian restaurant, especially the thin crust pizza! The buffet breakfast was fantastic, with lots of choices including some really good Chinese dishes. The hotel staff were really nice and helpful. We also loved the outdoor swimming pool. We would definitely go back when we visit Shenzhen again!

Room Tip: Get a higher floor, not close to the busy intersection
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I spent the weekend at the Grand Hyatt hotel. The location is superb and is next to a huge shopping mall, probably the largest in Shenzhen. We prefer to have a relaxing weekend so we paid for a room at the Club floor. Other than the strange layout of the room with
the glass bathroom at the centre,
the room is well decorated in a modern way. I particularly like this
type of modern design. The room is very clean, neat and tidy. However,
the Club floor service is not up to standard! The tables were
dirty and dusty with some having
bread crumbs on them. After checking a few tables, we gave up and decided to ask the staff to clean the table. The staff who served us in the evening offered excellent service but those who served us during the breakfast were of poor standard! The quality of food was a disappointment! The varieties of food were very limited (and was in no comparison with the Club floor of Intercontinental Hotel. The porridge
was cold, the bacon was cold and
chewy rather than crispy. When we ordered some Chinese dim sum,i.e. 2 nos of dumplings, it took them some 20 minutes to bring the dish to us and the dumplings were lukewarm and chewy! When we asked for a spoon for the porridge, the staff checked the cupboard and could not find one. I ordered 2 fried eggs and one turned out to be a bad one. Both of us were very disappointed about the standard of food at the Club floor which I believe more to do with management!

• Stayed August 2011
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

I have been visiting Shenzhen for the past 4 years and there are now a lot more options in terms of good hotels in this area that have come up during this short period. I have mostly stayed at the Kempinski, which I absolutely love, but this time decided to try the Grand Hyatt givens its reviews and proximity to the offices I had to visit. My quick thoughts:

Pros:
SERVICE!! - The staff and overall service is the BEST I have found in any of the hotels here so far. The staff is extremely friendly, courteous, helpful, and almost everyone speaks English (which is a blessing compared to other hotels where this is a major problem).
Restaurants - Excellent choice of restaurants and bars, good variety of food. The breakfast buffet spread is key for me, and it was pretty good here (one recommendation, they should add cereal to the spread, I really missed not having cereal!).
Location - Great location in a high-end part of town. The hotel sits adjacent to some high-end stores like LV, Cartier, and the like. There are also several small stores for general stuff (like 7-11).

Cons:
Layout - the layout of the hotel is strange and was sort of an inconvenience. Reception is on the 33rd floor. I was staying on the 10th floor, and each time I wanted to go out, I had to either switch elevators on the 3rd floor or the 33rd floor. Strange layout. I guess it's for "security" reasons, but I don't get it.
Room - the room is modern with most amenities that a good hotel would offer. The room size is big, as is the case with most new hotels in Shenzhen. The reason I wasn't happy with this is because there was no digital alarm clock on the room! This becomes an inconvenience because each time I woke up in the middle night fighting jetlag, there was no way for me to tell the time without turning the light on and looking at my watch. Became harder to go back to sleep once I turned the light on! Small issue I know, but it really annoyed the heck outta me.

Overall a good hotel with exceptional staff and service. But for me personally, I will be booking at the Kempinski next time. It's just my personal preference, but I think the Kempinski hotel is much better than the Hyatt, except for the staff (and it's less expensive as well).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

Out of the way but cheap taxis everywhere so no problem.
Hotel brilliant, large rooms ultra clean and very modern.
Restaurants, The Show is a MUST to dine, quality food and much variety.
Staff, All spoke English which we found to be very limited in China.
Service was great.
My recommendation is my action. We are going back in October.
Bonus The rooms were very quiet with the best blackout curtains, electric, that we have encountered.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

My friend and I heard about the bargains and tailoring to be had in Shenzhen and we tossed up whether to stay at the Shangri La or the Hyatt. The Hyatt won because we were intrigued by the description of the rooms and the newness of the hotel compared to the SR.

The rooms certainly did not disappoint! The bathroom is unique, the beds comfy and everything is silver service. The only difficulty we had was that you cannot enter or leave the room while someone is in the bathroom without disturbing them ;) this may be fine for couples, but not for friends or colleagues!

We were surprised by the receptionists' limited English skills and also the concierge - no one could describe how to get to the metro station, which was apparently right near the hotel. Then again, we didn't know that it was called the "metro" and asked about train, MTR, MRT, or subway. The route is well signed through the shopping centre if you know what you're looking for - we didn't. Note to future China newbies: it's a green symbol!

The hotel is spectacular and would be impressive for business meetings. it is also next to a high-end mall. But for bargain hunters like us, it was quite inconvenient. It is a good 15 minute walk through the mall to the metro station (it's 2 stops from Lo Wu) and it was difficult to get taxis (20 min wait at least each time). In hindsight we would have been far better off at the SR because it is literally on top of the station.

We didn't get breakfast included, and so only had it on one morning. But wow, was it worth it!! Amazing!! Huge variety of food and very, very good. Cannot fault it at all, and the service was also perfect, and changed our assessment of the team's English skills.

If the hotel were to offer a shuttle service to Lo Wu and back, I feel they could easily cater to the shopping focused tourists. It's only a 5min trip after all!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

Having travelled extensively in China and stayed at most of the top hotels in major cities, Grand Hyatt Shenzhen is truly one of the best and my favourite so far. The price was of excellent value as well.

First of all, the hardware. I have been to both PH Shanghai and Beijing. Although the one in Shenzhen is just a Grand Hyatt, but I think it's fair to put a Park Hyatt title on it, it is simply the best GH and it is on par or better than lots of the high category hotels such as RC and MO. Stunning lobby, big rooms, very nice design, quality decoration and great view. Although some people didn't like the change of elevators, but it indeed gave a more exclusive feel. A corner room is highly recommended. The Simmons bed make sure I had a nice sleep. By the way, the gym and swimming pool was great.

Secondly, the service. Check in was smooth. Although I checked in very early without notice, the receptionist tried her best to get me a room as soon as possible. Everyone was very polite and professional. Room service was fast as well. House keeping was great. It's not the service I normally expect from a hotel in China. It was really international standard. Tried the ESPA, one of the best I had, the therapist was very kind and totally professional.

Furthermore, the location was very convenient. Next to the MixC mall, you can get everything you want there. Minutes from the station to Hong Kong.

Last but not least, the buffet breakfast was good with lots of different selections and of course stunning view. I also tried the French restaurant. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as the restaurant in London. However, the quality of the good was great but for me, the portion was a little bit too big. The only negative thing was the price. About 200 pound for 2 just one bottle of normal wine and 3 courses. For this price, you can have it in every Michellin 2 star or some 3 star restaurant in the world.

Above all, I should thanks all the effort the staff has put to make this hotel the best place to stay in Shenzhen.

Room Tip: Try the xx11 Grand Deluxe Room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

We had a great time at this hotel in late April for a brief overnight stay. The hotel is modern yet warmly decorated. It's got all the amenities that one expects from a five-star hotel, and the staff are all very nice and helpful. We particularly like the bathing area, which is situated in the middle of the room enclosed by transparent glass panels on four sides. On the side facing the bedroom, there are two magical glass screens. When they are side by side, touching each other, a light goes on and the bathing area (which has both a tub and a rain shower) becomes totally transparent and you can see what's inside from your bed. But when you separate the screens (which can then act as a door closing up the bathroom and the corridor), the light goes off and the bathing area becomes non-transparent. This is very clever indeed. However, this magic screen only shields one side of the bathing area, which makes it difficult to share the room not particularly close to you.

We swam at the outdoor heated pool on the third floor terrace, and it was really nice. The locker room was also nicely done, with a steam room and a hot pool. There was also a spa, but we didn't try it.

We had dinner at the Italian restaurant on the ground floor, then went for some drinks at the lounge (our kid was not allowed to get into the penthouse bar at the top of the building). Breakfast at the Show Kitchen coffee shop was really fantastic -- there were a lot of choices, and the quality of food ingredients and of cooking were excellent.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they put the reception on the 33rd floor rather than on the ground floor. When I checked in, I thought my room was going to be somewhere on the 40th or even 50th floor, but it turned out to be on the 10th floor. That's really an anticlimax. But the really silly thing is that when you check out, you have to go up to the 33rd floor, and then go down to the ground floor to leave the hotel. That's totally unnecessary. I mean 33rd is not that high, and if a guest wants to take a look at the city from a high point, he can always go to the bar or restaurant at the top of the hotel, or to some other taller buildings.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hyatt Shenzhen? Share your experiences!