“Excellent food, great atmosphere, friendly host” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: The real western restaurant in Shantou
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Excellent food, great atmosphere, friendly host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

As a businessman doing business in China, food is always a problem when going to small/midsize cities like Shantou. But Il Santo is a place that I'm always happy to go back to over and over again when I come to Shantou. The atmosphere inside makes you forget you are in an industrial town and gives you a feeling you are in a bar/restaurant at home. The owners are always friendly and greet you with good service and small talk. Food is delicious and consist mostly on the Italian cousin including Pizzas, pastas and beef. At later hours the place gets more of a bar atmosphere with a projector showing live concerts on a large size screen, trendy vibes and large variety of alcohol drinks. Prices are less than equal places in Hong Kong and Guangzhou and gives you a feeling of home away from home. If you are a foreigner coming to Shantou, this place is not to be missed.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Shantou, China
“definitely overprice for the quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I went there to join a friend's birthday party, I ordered pasta and a few cocktails. I was very disappointed by the food, pasta were under-cooked, I could hardly find any pieces of salmon and I didn't taste much alcohol in the cocktails while I commented to the staff but didn't get any response at all. So I didn't touch the pasta at all and ended up finishing the remains of my friends' pizza, in which the dough was too hard and the topping was not much. I guess I was expecting a lot better Italian food.

In fact I am okay to pay high price but I would expect the restaurant to serve quality food, maybe put more salmon in the pasta, a bit more toppings on the pizza and more alcohol in the cocktails. I really hope there are more western restaurants in shantou so the restaurant can feel some pressure to improve as well. In general there is just no comparison with Italian food in big cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen or Hong Kong so don't get your hope too high!

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Shantou
“overpriced beer, food just "ok"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I went to Il Santo to be floored by the prices on their menu. It is evident that this restaurant is here to take advantage of unknowing non-Chinese speaking travelers and rich, ignorant Chinese and gouge them. The food is not bad, but not consistent. When you see the prices you will flip. The beer is 60 RMB for a glass of Hoegaarden, that is 10 USD for a pint! That is more than many 5 star hotels in Hong Kong. Also, the beer was not fresh, and after complaining, we were still asked to pay for it. The lady boss is rude, cold, and unfriendly. She completely ignores her customers like it's her right to have them patron her establishment. This restaurant gives no discounts no matter how loyal you are. The last time for us was when they charged 20 RMB extra for mushrooms on a pizza and tried to add another drink to the bill. We had to argue to get it off the bill. Amazing. Go here if you are desperate for a Western meal or a cocktail but be ready to feel taken advantage of when you walk out.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Shantou
“A must place to visit in Shantou !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I began coming to Shantou last year but as most foreiners didnt know where to go. I'm from the US and have lived in Shanghai for 10 years. I sometimes dont want to eat Chinese food but dont get me wrong I really like Chaoshan/Chinese food. A (local) colleague from work said she knew a place that I may like so this is my reveiw.

Well Ilsantou is a all-around great place for me and my wife. This place is original not like many western restaurants/pubs we have visited in China. What I mean is that they have their own style and menu not copied from other restaurants. The restaurant is family owned and operated by Thorsen his Wife and Ollie they are brothers from Austria. These 2 guys are like brothers to me and I really enjoy their company. They speak fluent english and most of the staff can speak english as well. The place is well decorated and keep clean they have 3 floors you can choose from as well as a bar. They offer a wide variety of western foods, wines and cocktails. I really love the pizza it is with out question the best in Shantou and many other places in China. If they dont have something on the menu you want let them know and they will fix it they can. I can go on and on about how classy and professional the guys are but you really need to meet them yourself. As I know soo well everybody's differant but for us we love the place when visiting in Shantou.

The prices are about what we pay in Shanghai (more than what we like but fair) or what you may pay in your own country. The thing to remember is the quailty and service that comes with it. This is not a hole in the wall restaurant but a nice place to go yourself to get away or take your family for dinner.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Preston, United Kingdom
“Excellent Pizzas & Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Each time I have been to Shantou I have visited Il Santo. The atmosphere is trendy and inviting and the co-owners and staff are friendly and are quick to serve drinks or prepare a table for you. Each time I visited I have had the pizza, which is fresh and tasty with a good selection to choose from on the menu. You can also just visit for drinks, as the place has a real 'bar' feel with good music and an excellent selection of spirits and beers. A real gem in the middle of Shantou!