“Good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 149 hotels in Shantou
New Zealand
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed two nights last month on business. As previous reviewers have said, it looks very grand but certain areas are a little on the tired side. The staff were excellent, and plenty of them to assist with check-in, WIFI etc. It is an easy place for colleagues to meet, and walking distance to a huge Walmart if you require any replacement things.
We had a non-smoking room and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Island of Malta, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This Hotel is the obvious choice if you travel to Shantou. Esthetically this hotel looks great and grand. The hotel is not super clean but just gets by the test. There is plenty of space and rooms are very big and luxurious with a nice huge bathroom too. The problem is that as usual in places like this the upkeep is not as it should be. However I cannot imagine me staying in any other hotel in Shantou. Eating in their Restaurant is not going to be one of your best meals but there again you are in Shantou so it's probably your best and safest bet. Mushroom soup is one very good thing to have if you are dining there. If you do have to travel to Shantou then I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

great hotel. Everything you can think of for a nice hotel. Nothing really stood out to me. Decor was nice and modern. Breakfast was great with mostly Asian options. had cereal but no eggs, waffles, pancakes, or the things one would associate with an "American" breakfast. Rooms were also very nice, but average. There was wifi, but it was either extremely weak or there was some issue. I should have called the front desk, but honestly I didnt have the time because I was on business. Great hotel though. The city seemed like a dirty to me, but i think it might have been a culture shock situation. Anyway, can't fault this hotel. great place. I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is not a brand new hotel but it's well maintained property. We stayed there for three nights on the non-smoking floor. It's nice to be able to find non-smoking rooms in China.

It's very difficult to find supermarkets and food outlets nearby. You need to cross the street to get to the grocery stores, the motorists including bicyclists in China are ruthless so it's not a pleasant experience. Walmart, McDonald, and KFC are about 20-25 minutes walk from the hotel. There are several clothing retail stores next to the hotel.

The service is so so. They're quite indifferent, not as helpful as I had anticipated from the five-star hotel. The bed is clean but very hard. Food is mediocre. We had breakfast and dinner, some dinner dishes looked/tasted like leftover from previous meal.

It costs CNY120 taxi ride from hotel to airport. I believe the hotel charges around CNY400.

I've been told this is the best hotel in Shantou and I guess it's for the time being. I heard that the Sheraton is about to open by the end of the year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Mr. euro2006,

We are happy that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

We appreciate your feedback on the hotel’s facilities and services in particular, the food standard. I have directed the Food & Beverage Manager to take immediate steps to improve the food quality. I am also pleased to inform you that we will be replacing all our beds by October this year

Thank you once again for making Meritus Shantou the hotel of your choice and we look forward to welcome you home on your next visit to Shantou

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

When I travel to Shantou, I always go to the Meritus. Excellent quality at a very reasonable price. The location is great, with a shopping mall across the street. Breakfast is very good, both western and chinese food.
The rooms are spacious, and the bathroom ever more!
Have been here about 6 times, and I have never been disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Mr. Marnix82,

We are happy that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

We appreciate your compliments on the hotel’s facilities and service.

Thank you for making Meritus Shantou the hotel of your choice and we look forward to welcome you home on your next visit to Shantou

Auckland NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

having read some of the reviews I was a little apprehensive about this hotel. However I was very pleassed when I arrived. It is a typical western hotel. Excellent lobby, resteraunt and bar. My room which was a non smoking room was also excellent. My only complaint is the the bed was rock hard.
I was also on the executive floor so had access to the club lounge where I could go for breakfast, and pre dinner drinks.
Servicr was excellent from all departments.
It takes a little time to become accustomed to smoke again, kits everywhere, in the resteraunt, the lifts etc but at least they have non smoking areas for you.
I would certainly stay here again with out any concerns.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker, a non smoker room would be essential.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Zara08,

We are happy that you have had an enjoyable stay with us.

We appreciate your compliments on the hotel facilities and service.

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This hotel is quote good for china standard, not he best by any means, but the best for the area, and also the best for the area including Chaozhou, but its an hour away from the airport now that its been relocated, but still the better option, would recommend,

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rodney_Khoo, General Manager at Junhua Haiyi Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Mr. TravelbradBrisbane,

GENERAL MANAGER

Been to Junhua Haiyi Hotel? Share your experiences!