“A very nice hotel handy to Lanzhou University” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Legend Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added Legend Hotel to your Saves list
Legend Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.529 Tianshui South Road, Chengguan District, Lanzhou 730000, China   |
Ranked #13 of 386 Hotels in Lanzhou
Charlottesville, Virginia
“A very nice hotel handy to Lanzhou University”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Given the traffic in Lanzhou, if you are doing something at Lanzhou University this is the place to stay. It's a 300 yard walk to the University and the Hotel seems to be in the center of things. It is an older hotel with lots of aging elegance. The restaurant is good and the staff are helpful. Not a lot of English spoken, but the staff generally know enough to be pretty helpful. This is my first time in Lanzhou, but this is a nice spot and I would come back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

It's the best hotel in Lanzhou, which makes sense since the hotel is centrally located and the lobby is spacious and grand. The breakfast area serves pretty good food, but when I was there a few tour groups were staying there too, and they ran out of food the first day. Plus, there were crazy lines to get eggs and noodles. The restaurant manager did come by to apologize, which is always nice.

The rooms are old, but still rather comfortable. Internet was free, which is always a plus (I'm young and I need my internet to function). But the bizarre thing was that I left the room to go sightseeing and when I came back in the evening, someone (I guess the maids?) had taken all my bathroom garbage and tried to flush it down the toilet. Obviously this clogged the toilet and since I got back pretty late and only realized my toilet issue at 11 PM, I didn't think to call housekeeping (in retrospect I should've called). So basically I had to go downstairs to the lobby to use the restroom in the morning.

Overall my experience wasn't too bad. And at least I have something to talk about when sharing quirky experiences in China.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

stayed 1 night and enjoyed that it was clean and comfy - compared to my horrible stay at xilan hotel -

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Port Angeles, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Our deluxe standard room room with a view was nice. The location was good; next to a bank, across from the post office, and near a department store where we bought items for the train trip to Lhasa. We heard the buffet dinner was good, but after paying, we discovered many empty serving dishes and lots of food mislabeled in English (lost in translation?). After eating a weird dinner, we let the front desk know. We saw a massage ad in the elevator, so we went to the fourth floor. Several eager women greeted us when we stepped from the elevator. Rooms visible down the hall had open doors. Back at the front desk, after a quick retreat, the concierge responded to my husband's inquiry, and directed us to the hotel health club for his massage, telling us they have nothing to do with the business on the fourth floor. En route to the health club, we passed a noodle restaurant where we should have eaten. With few westerners checking in, you won't find CNN or any English TV channels, and if you do, reception is very poor. We had lots of laughs over pretty good cocktails in the lounge overlooking the lobby.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is conveniently located in the city centre, and is generally well equipped and clean. The standard of hotels in China is different from what we might be used to in Europe. The rooms are a good size, with furniture in a good state of repair. The bathroom was ok, but could do with some refurbishment. The shower worked fine though. Atmosphere in the room was very dry, but a humidifier is supplied..use it, it helps.
The restaurant serves a mixture of western and Chinese food, with a buffet breakfast that includes molest made to order. The evening buffet is "ok", but the steaks we had were black on the outside and raw on the inside.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel, but know what to expect.

Stayed February 2012
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Overall the hotel is OK.
BUT needs some refurbishment, carpet needs help, toilet was not flushing properly and it is better not to look at details (shower curtains, silicon joints etc.). My room was on 19th floor, windows to the main road, giving a nice view on the crazy traffic, can be noisy from early in the morning.
Lanzhou is very very polluted (at least in February) adding to this the heavy Chinese smokers in the hotel: eyes, throat and lungs are suffering.
Don't expect a nice continental breakfast, you better convert to noodles, rice, meat and soup...
The location is fine, not too far from a nice walk along the yellow river. Avoid shopping malls but go to small markets instead.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

No complaints about this hotel. For China, it is clean, everything is working although the air condition is suspect and very moody! The Chinese breakfast is excellent. The staff in general very helpful although I had problems getting stamps for my postcards. Yes, everything is very dated and the hotel needs a refurbishment but this is China and you are very lucky to get a clean room! Some of the communal areas need a good clean but remember that 4-5 stars in China is really 2-3 stars in the rest of the world. The hotel is perfectly acceptable if you don't set your standards too high.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Legend Hotel? Share your experiences!