“really a japanese hotel, great details” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.199 Wenxing East Road, Xiamen 361008, China   |
Ranked #18 of 1,102 Hotels in Xiamen
4.5 of 5 stars 71 Reviews
Nanjing, China
“really a japanese hotel, great details”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have stayed at this hotel for more than 1 month. It's really a great hotel and valuable. The staff are very nice, they greeted me and called my name every time.
First, the price was reasonable. Compared to other hotels in the city center, it was cheap.
Second, the room was big with beautiful sea view. The wash room was big, the washlet was in the other space on the opposite side. Good detail. There was a tea set in the room, but I didn't know how to use it.
I liked the Chinese restaurant. Well tasted.
The location was nearby the beach. Spend 10 minutes walked to the beach. Very close the exhibition center and convenient for those people attend the meeting.

Room Tip: sea view room on the high floors
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
NikkoXiamen, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Xiamen, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear E A,

Greetings.

Thank you for choosing us for your visit to Xiamen and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! We are glad you enjoyed the comfort and service of our hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to enjoy our services again in the near future.

Hotel Nikko Xiamen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

I must admit that the "average" rating is made on the basis of "international standard". In the context of China, the hotel can be rated "very good". Nevertheless, this is Nikko group and I had great expectation to the service and details.

Let's talk about the good things first. It is a value for money choice for a 5-start hotel in China. I booked in booking.com and it charged me about 600RMB incl 15% service charge. It was far more reasonable than those big brands in the city.

Check-in was efficient. I speak Chinese so I cannot comment on the previous review on the staff's language ability. Front desk attitude was just fine. I don't expect Concierge to be very friendly and helpful if I put myself in the context of China so it's ok to me. And if they are, you get a bonus.

Location is perfect. You can walk to the seaside in 15 mins and there are many places to eat around. Go to Qian Pu (前埔) which takes around 10-min talk or just pay 1 RMB for a bus ride and you can taste what local people eat. There are no menus in English though but Xiamen people are friendly so don't hesitate to try.

Room is BIG. This is the biggest room I have stayed for its rate. It even had a walk-in wardrobe, separate washroom and bathroom (yes in two different rooms) and a balcony! The balcony had windows so you can still enjoy some sunlight when it's in autumn with them closed. The bathtub was full-sized and was bigger than most of those in Japan.

To the down side. Similar to many other 5-star hotel I stayed in China, Nikko Xiamen does need to pay more attention to details for its brand. They have good hardware and decoration but those little things can make a hotel worth the brand, or the opposite.

There is sink in the separated washroom. It was a good design so that you don't need to walk to the opposite bathroom and use the sink. But the point is, there is no soap in the washroom. The only soap is in the bathroom. This is a very little detail but they can find out if they walk on the guest's shoes.

There are separated light switches for the washroom and bathroom. BUT they are linked. Weird. That means if you turn on the washroom's light, the bathroom's light will be turned on too, and the same if you turn it off. Remember they are in 2 separated rooms. Again it's about the system setting so I guess it wouldn't be a major problem if they make it correctly.

The rainforest shower will not turn off to the normal shower after use. You need to pay attention not to get cold water sprayed on you on next use, or if you just want to wash your feet by the normal shower :D

Wifi is free of charge (which is not a must in China) but the signal is mostly good only when you are in the bathroom or wardrobe. It goes weak when you are on the bed or balcony. It could be improved.

Balcony doors to the room is not perfectly sealed. Sometimes wind could sneak in even when the windows were closed and the noise was disturbing. Some maintenance could be done to avoid this.

The magnet on the minibar door is lost can't be closed tightly. The housekeeping staff must have noticed it but it appeared that nobody did something about this obvious defect. I told the front desk staff about it. Hopefully it will be fixed.

Overall, it is a good 5-star hotel in China. It's value for money, and the room amenities and setting were great. Location is perfect for sightseeing and dining. But like I said in other comments, what makes a great hotel is about the attitude to the fine details, and it is a Japanese Nikko brand.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
NikkoXiamen, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Xiamen, responded to this review, November 19, 2014
Dear Michaelchs,

Greetings.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Thank you very much for the comments on the soap, light, rainforest and other facilities, I have already let housekeeping and engineering department check all the rooms, they will do the maintenance immediately.

In regards of the WIFI, we contact China Telecom, they will check the signal for our hotel and reset again.

We always do our best to exceed expectations for our guests. I'm sorry we didn't achive your expectation. What a pity! I will push our management do more training to our staff.

Once again thank you very much! I am looking forward to your next visit.

Cedar Park, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

Well its a nice hotel as all Nikko's tend to be. Since this was my first trip to Xiamen I have nothing to compare it to. Room was a very good size and well appointed. Loved the bathroom and the shower was nice but impossible to turn on the shower without getting drenched. Bed was comfortable. The room is a little dark and no real view from the 16th floor so I would search higher. This is not a 5 star hotel in Singapore or Hong Kong but was very nice by any standard. I absolutely loved the bar and lounge in the lobby as it was set up for conversations and had excellent service. What I couldn't understand is why nobody was ever in the bar. Strange but perhaps cocktail lounges are not big in Xiamen. Overall I would recommend.

One funny note from an American. I love the toilets and the computerization that all Nikko's I have stayed in have. Its scary to push the button...but when you finally get up the nerve you will wonder why all bathrooms don't have one. It works amazingly well.

Room Tip: Get as high as possible or you will be blocked by apartments next door. 16th and up.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Eiji A, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Xiamen, responded to this review, November 13, 2014
Dear TJ M,

Thank you for choosing us and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor!

We are so glad that you enjoyed our bar and amentities. It is our aim to create an environment of warmth and hospitality for each of our guest.

I like your funny note, it seemed that you are amazed by the washlet. We are always looking to fine tune our amenities in order to provide the most comfortable in-room experience for our guests.

I'm so sorry that you didn't satisfy the view. It think if you booked the higher room perhaps you would like the beautiful sea view. What a pity!

We wish to welcome you back in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

Stayed here 2 weeks, really should have moved earlier. Staff speak no or little English and are rude/incompentent. Food in restaurant undercooked and if you want to take a sauna try to do it when people aren't smoking in the changing rooms... but good luck with that.

Seriously, stay elsewhere. Worst hotel I've ever been to.

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Eiji A, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Xiamen, responded to this review, November 5, 2014
Dear Greg W,

Thank you very much for staying in Hotel Nikko Xiamen. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We are very sorry for any inconvenience and unpleasant you may have experienced during your stay.

We do apologize for these unpleasant experiences caused and we will strengthen our training system from now on.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Conveniently located hotel about 30 minutes from the airport and close to the beach. Don't expect a nightlife neither in the hotel or close by. Large spacious rooms, I especially liked the one with sea view. Typically recommendable for buisness travellers.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Eiji A, General Manager at Hotel Nikko Xiamen, responded to this review, November 4, 2014
Dear Peter B,

Greetings from Hotel Nikko Xiamen.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are grateful for your encouraging comments. Pleasure to see that you enjoyed our guestroom. Noted your comments on the nightlife. Hotel located close Xiamen Conference Center which is the new commercial and financial center in Xiamen. It's convenient for the business guests and MICE guests. For leisure, I suggest the Haiwan Park which is only 20 minutes from our hotel by taxi.
Thank you again for choosing to stay with us. Hope you will be back soon.

Warm regards!

shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed in this hotel during a short vacation. The property is nice, but service needs improvement , definitely a hotel that caters more to Chinese crowds than Westerners.
Restaurants are just OK , although breakfast buffet also needs improvements, I would recommend to choose the breakfast included option because there are no options within reasonable walking distance. Location is a major drawback for this hotel unless you plan to attend a trade show at the nearby convention center. Not suitable for tourism or sightseeing as you have to take a bus or a taxi to get to major attractions.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Emily C, Manager at Hotel Nikko Xiamen, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Cris J,
Thank you for your suggestion, we are so appreciate that you chose our hotel when you stayed in Xiamen. I'm sorry about our service and breakfast did't make you satisfied. I will pass your suggestion to related departmenta and let them do more training to their staff. Our hotel is a typical MICE hotel due to the special location, but also only a few minutes walk to the beach. Hotel served bicycle rental service for guests, if next time you come again, you could ride along the Huangdao road for a leisure travel. Once again, thank you for your suggestion.
Malaga, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed one night on business trip. Very good quality 5 star hotel and very good value for money. Very large comfortable room, with balcóny, all expected amenities of 5 star hotel plus very nice tea set in the room. Excellent quality restaurant, had a great lunch and buffet breakfast the foillowing morning. Good quality internet and wi-fi included in room rate.
Good location near sea front and about 20 minutes drive from aiport.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Emily C, Manager at Hotel Nikko Xiamen, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at Hotel Nikko Xiamen. We are so glad that you enjoy your stay with us. Much appreciate your comments on our extensive food selection and facilities as well. We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future. Kind regards!

Been to Hotel Nikko Xiamen? Share your experiences!