“Just Okay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Empark Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added Empark Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Empark Grand Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.59 Wenquan Gongyuan Road, Gulou District, Fuzhou 350003, China   |
Ranked #10 of 423 hotels in Fuzhou
Walnut Creek, California
“Just Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

The Empark hotel is just okay - in China you can do alot worse or alot better. Everything from the rooms to the breakfast is just okay. No health club - outdoor pool looked like it would be good when open. I found that the bed was comfortable but the pillows felt like they were filled with sand.

Room Tip: Ask for a good room and keep your fingers crossed
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

287 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I may not be 100% objective, as I'd stayed in a better choice hotel in Fuzhou just about three months back. I came to Empark because of a client's event so there is little choice here. If I am not wrong, I stayed here at Empark around 2003 for some conference, almost a decade back and I must say nothing much has improved since then. It must also have been a highly forgetable stay.

To be fair, this hotel has an extremely spacious (some would say grand) lobby and the amenities such as lifts, restaurants and business centre are all there. But the rest of the hardware is really little to shout about - the rooms look drab and old, the beds are big but not truly comfortable, the air conditioning did not work well on the first night (blowing hot air literally when the lowest temperature of the day is around 20-22 degrees C) and the restaurants' food is just passable overall.

What is truly not great about this hotel is the software -- the front desk staff was simply beyond belief. Two instances to illustrate this -- 1. I checked in late for the night and so by the time I had my bearings straight by around 1 am, I called the operator to ask about booking of train tickets. The phone rang at least ten times and no one picked up, so I decided to go to the front desk and ask face to face. A half-asleep staff, apparently awoken from her nap on the front desk, looked up and me and said there is no such service and please don't ask such a question at such an hour. Wow! Serves me right for expecting to work at 1.15 am I suppose!

2. And the second, now this is classic! My client received me at the hotel lobby at 12.10 am and helped check me in and when we went up to the allocated room, and I tried to open the door with my card, I failed. My client became embarrassed and went down to the front desk to ask for a new card, and up he came by around 12.15 am. The card STILL did not work, and this time round, we decided to ask the staff to come personally up. A junior staff came up by around 12.25 am and opened the room door for us... and guess what? We saw two guests on the bed of the room allocated to me, and they two jumped up in their body suits and asked, "what's happening!?" Oh my god! You can imagine my client's and my f**king embarrassment! We immediately left the room and I apologised profusely to the guest inside (a black whom I assumed he spoke English) who was equally embarrassed because he was doing you-know-what with his "new Chinese friend".

I think this is NOT acceptable at all, and my client and I complained to the front desk. The staff there said well, such things happen since it's so late into the night already, and simply looked for another room for us.

This time round, the room proved fine and was not occupied. But by then, it was around 12.55 am and I must say I was a bit thrown off-tangent by the experience. I did not want to make a fuss out of this, so as not to embarrass my client further. But all of you should know this, and in my years of travels, no such thing has happened! You may say the guest inside the first room should have simply latched his door inside but that's beside the point. I think a hotel which professes to be 5-star (at least in Chinese standards) cannot get away with this by simply issuing another room. It's not acceptable and that's that.

I won't stay at this hotel again unless forced to. A hotel of this standard is just not a room, with some eating places and some staff to help carry your luggage. I did not feel safe at all while staying here and never about the rest. So, sorry but to say, this is a failure and in fact have failed further than what I'd experienced about 8 years ago.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Perth, WA, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights at the beginning of December as we were attending a Wedding there.
This hotel is also known as the Golden Resources International Hotel (which is the name that we booked it under using C-TRIP).
First let me start by saying that Fuzhou is NOT a tourist destination, so it did not surprise me at all that only two people at this hotel spoke English.
The foyer of the hotel is magnificent as you walk in, with chandeliers and marble everywhere.
We were checked into our rooms on the top (27th) floor very quickly. The rooms were a decent size and were clean, they even gave you a free computer with internet to use in your room. The bathroom was ok too, with the shower over bath combo you don’t see in many five star hotels anymore.
The beds however, we as hard as………marble. The carpet was softer than the beds. Even after we got extra padding put on the beds by housekeeping, I still ended up with bruises on my hips.
The breakfasts at the hotel were very good, with lots of choices and fresh juice. We also ate the lunch buffet one day and it was excellent, with lots of yummy Eastern foods.
The gym was ok, with quite a few treadmills, and lots of semi working weights, but the ping pong was a nice touch. Shame you have to pay to use the table, even if you are a hotel guest.
The hotel is not really close to anything except the Hot Spring Park (which was very pretty), but taxi’s are really cheap anyway.
On our last night there was a Giant Rat cleaning itself outside the hotel, but it didn’t really put us off.
Overall, decent hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Empark Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!