We traveled to the southernmost city in the world (Punta Arenas, Chile) and then were driven another 3 hours into the beauty of Patagonia. The Remota is the most unique place I've ever seen. It is an all-inclusive hotel built to echo the spirit of Patagonia. From a distance, it was built to look like a dock going down to the sea - and it does. The buildings are connected by enclosed walkways (used by farmers on the local sheep ranches) and the unfinished linga wood walls and furniture smells so sweet! There is art work everywhere and the linens were amazing.
But what makes us want to return some day is the staff and the service. Guests are transported by modern vans. All of the staff from the drivers to the housekeepers are multi-lingual. When we arrived, the entire staff turned out of the front door in welcome and we were given a tour and fed, though it wasn't meal time. The point of being in this area is the great out-of-doors. You are in the middle of the Southern Ice fields, the Torres del Paine National Park, on the shores of the Last Hope Sound, near the Strait of Magellan, close to Cape Horn. There are glaciers, waterfalls, caves, forests, penguin breeding grounds, flocks of sheep and herds of cattle crossing the road in front of your vehicle, condors flying overhead. Each evening you meet in the bar with one of the wonderful guides and plan your next day. There are over 27 excursions to take, physical levels from easy to strenuous (climbing to the base of the Towers in the park, for example) and it is all up to you. Equipment is all supplied and includes everything from Zodiacs to mountain climbing gear to bikes to local boat tours. What I really loved was that there were no limitations on what we could do, such as a certain tour only on a Wednesday, or something like that. It was all very flexible, though there were very few guests when we were there, as it was not high season yet. After 12 hours of physical activity, you can relax in an outdoor hot tub that faces the Andes, swim in a raised pool, take a sauna or have a massage.
When my son and husband became ill and missed a day, the staff immediately helped me to take care of them, initiating an on-call, after hours pharmacy system in the little town of Puerto Natales, made special food for them and served them in the room until they were able to join me again. They rearranged the planned excursion and made sure that I was getting my money's worth by taking me a few hours at a time to closer local outdoor attractions/museums between returning to check on my sleeping family. Everyone was so very personable.
The food was varied, delicious and beautifully presented. Chilean wines were included even in our picnics out in the wild.
The manager, Janna, is a world class hostess and we recommend Joaquin and Andres as expert guides and true "mountain men".
Our 2 weeks in Chile were fabulous and if we get to go back, I would rent a car and drive. I think in Santiago, it could be a bit hairy, but once out of the city, the roads are well kept and well signed, even in Patagonia.
- Also Known As:
- Remota Hotel
- Remota Puerto Natales
- Remota Hotel Puerto Natales
- Remota Puerto Natales, Aisen Region, Chile
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Remota is one of the most celebrated and awarded Hotels in Chile, where the National Architecture Prize Awarded, German Del Sol, achieved the most breathtaking views of the fjord and glaciers.Normal things like breakfast,is an unforgettable experience.Luminous and inserted in Patagonia's landscape, without any modification, with the best infrastructure, totally different from a classic hotel that impresses visitors and leaves a lasting memory.Remota is more than just a hotel, it allows travellers to have a unique total Patagonia Experience.Remota is an ecological and sustainable hotel, built with high quality materials, almost no motors, no elevators,no television or internet in the rooms, very light, almost transparent, natural ventilation and highly efficient energy use.We support local communities and are strongly linked to social and cultural organisations as well.Remota is a selected property of the prestigious Virtuoso luxury travel network (only 5 operations in Chile) and was choosen by Orvis as an International Endorsed Destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Venere, Otel and HotelsClick so you can book your Remota reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.