Stayed here as our "treat" to ourselves after camping/trekking for a week in Torres del Paine.
It's close to the central part of town (about 5-6 blocks away) on a street that looks a bit sketchy, but was fine. We had a rental car and left it parked outside, no problems.
The room was clean and had a flat screen TV. There was an in-room safe that didn't work. The shower needs an update (a tub with this strange glass movable door that was supposed to make it easier to get out of the tub), but it was fine.
Breakfast was more generous than is typical at this hotel rate in Argentina/Chile because besides toast, yogurt, cereal, coffee, tea, and Tang, they had a variety fresh fruit plus scrambled eggs made to order.
I had a quibble with the customer service about the room charges when checking out. I had made my reservation with a website that charges my card 10% of the reservation when booking it. Even though they had a copy of that in their files (she showed me) and I had printed the email showing this, I still had to argue and explain that I should only be paying the remaining 90% of the rate, not the entire 100% (and I speak Spanish and was traveling with a native Spanish speaker, so there was no communication issue here). After finally settling this first math problem, the customer service person then told me that even though my rate was quoted in US dollars online (which is how the booking website quoted the room), my credit card would be charged in Chilean pesos. This was fine. However, then she told me okay, so at this hotel, we convert US dollars at a rate that was much lower than the current rate. I argued that this was ridiculous because we weren't paying with cash (so it's not like a convenience fee for the conversion), but rather she's just punching in numbers to convert it to their rate and then swiping the credit card, and thus she should be using the actual rate. Well this discussion didn't resolve anything, and neither did the offer to pay in Chilean peso cash at the actual conversion rate. So basically, we ended up paying slightly more than the rate we had booked, due to this conversion funny business. Unfortunately there was no manager on duty to speak with.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.