“Beautiful Location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Natales
Northport, New York
“Beautiful Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

We stayed here a few nights with our friends, we rent the cottage on the property with the 3 bedrooms. The location was breath taking, it's a nice quiet place off the beaten path. They have a small glass room outside with a wood stove that we read books in and watched a movie one day to relax while taking in the scenery. They have a cook to order breakfast each morning which is worth.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Aust, Qld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed at Bories for 3 nights and found Gustavo very helpful and friendly. I paid with credit card - no problem. Rooms spacious, but in summer they still had the heating on which made it stifling so we opened the window which then squeaked annoyingly. The other annoying squeak were the floorboards as other guests walked up and down the corridor - easily fixed I would have thought for this otherwise lovely B&B. The room and bathroom were wonderful.
The taxi ride in and out of town was ok but it would have been good if there were a transfer service at least once a day in and back. We took the Agunsa boat ride to the glaciers. An excellent day out. And hired a car (with difficulty - but found Rio hire car - a small new operator) to tour through Torres del Paine, which was fabulous.

Room Tip: I would ask for the last room at the end - away from the squeaking floorboards!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

Loved the website! Of course, one should always take the angle of the shot into consideration....much smaller then one is lead to believe and right next to a ferry port (convenient if you want to take the day excursion into the O'Higgans National Park Glacier tour).

Overall, a nice place to run away--a want to be, home away from home. The house is shared (3 rooms total and two bathrooms).
Main problem we had was with the owner husband: when we did not want the horse excursions, he became a bit of a passive aggressive and horse's rear end. One day, as we parked our rental car he actually asked us to back-up "2 inches"...we never could figure out why...no one in front of us and no one behind us and we were not blocking the path way to the house...

Kitchen was described as working...only if you did not really did not want to cook! The only cooking utensils and pots were those that backpackers (to the National Park Torres del Paine) left behind--in other words TINY ones. There is a stove and refrigerator for those who want to make sandwiches and or picnic lunches for your day trips to the park.

We stayed a week, and the breakfast never varied! We bought our own eggs and oatmeal to mix up the standard: roll, ham and cheese breakfast. Since we were the only ones there for half of our stay, I would have thought a little more effort could have been made to be a bit more welcoming.

NOTE: misleading representation re: credit cards acceptance. When asked for my credit card number to hold my space, I called to give the number over the phone and not on email---I asked if I could use a different credit card when we arrived to pay. Yes, no problem -- until it came time to pay. Husband insisted on CASH only...not a problem, but a total hassle.

When we talked the night before I reminded him we were leaving right after breakfast to go to Puerto Arenas to catch our flight. No worries, he would come in now to collect...when I handed him my credit card, he had a meltdown~we do not take credit cards~NEVER. After watching his tirade we calmly noted we would need to go into town to get the cash....no worries, we have money in the bank. BUT, I told him we had just come from a long day of hiking and would go in to town in the morning to get the cash. Another melt-down, he wanted to be paid now. Geez, louise....felt like I was dealing with a total stranger...not someone we had just stayed with for a week.

House was comfortable and the hosts fairly non-existent....of course until payment time! Had no hot water the first day and got the "maid" delivering breakfast to understand that we wanted to have her check the hot water heater (which my hubby had to turn on). The skylight moved (and squeeked) intolerably during the high winds (everyday in Patagonia!) and when there was a huge rainstorm water came in the bathroom.

Normally, I go with the flow (note I do not give them a 0 or 1 rating) BUT, when concerns were shared about the rain (and we mentioned the skylight to) the male owner response was one of complete boredom--"what should I do?" which totally amazed me as a home owner--duh, fix it? I spent the night emptying a pot and drying the wood floors. Certainly got the impression that I cared more then they did.

Would I stay again...maybe. IF they expanded the kitchen to one you could cook dinner in and IF the owners felt more energetic about what they have chosen to do for a living! A bit more clarity and concern would have made our stay more pleasant.

• Liked — Sunset and their dog~
  • Disliked — lackluster care of the place and the renters
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

cosy little bed and breakfast, very homely, best bed we slept in in all of south america, the owners are wonderful, feels very homely, a bit out of town though but no problem to get a taxi

• Stayed November 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Bories House? Share your experiences!