“Very good location and pleasant crew” 4 of 5 stars

You added Backpacker's Hostel Iquique to your Saves list
Backpacker's Hostel Iquique
Amunategui 2075, Iquique, Chile   |
Davos, Switzerland
“Very good location and pleasant crew”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I was there several times, if possible in the small single room s/n The shared rooms are large, it has large lockable cupboards.
Very nice terrace with views of the Pacific Ocean and nice garden, WiFi, unfortunately, only in the lounge. Only shared shower and toilet.
Barbecues are very nice.
Simple breakfast included.

Room Tip: First, hae a look at the room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Muttenz, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The place offers spacious and clean rooms close to the beach and a casino. There are lockers for everyone in the common area (also for people in double rooms) and the common area itself is lovely. A huge disadvantage are the other facilities: not enough pans in the kitchen (only one frying pan), WiFi which only works in the common area AND ways too less toilets and showers!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hostel is ok if you want a party hostel, but if you don't want this, skip it. It is really noisy in the rooms and you here everything from the garden. There is no stop on the music so it goes on all night. The kitchen is big, but not everything works. There is a wall to put your food in with your name, but our food was stolen. The lady said that it was our own problem. There were also some big cockroaches in the kitchen, but they didn't do anything against it. And the showers are in the toilets...

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

After reading reviews, this seemed like the lesser of all the other bad hostels. But when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. The hostel was very clean, the staff were friendly and helpful. It was a really nice hostel. We had a huge private matrimonial room with a deck. The common women's bathroom was clean and never overly busy. The men's has the shower and toilets combined in a stall, but my husband didn't mind (I would have). This hostel has the best common area we have seen in 6 months of traveling. Very easy to meet other travelers. The kitchen closes at 11pm, which is only an issue if you forget and leave your beer, wine or water in there. It's good though as it keeps drunks from stealing your food and drinks. However, there is a secret way to get in, so a couple of our beers did disappear the first night. Just need to wrap in bag better. The beach and surf breaks are only a block away and the grocery store is 4 blocks away. You can hear people talking until 1:30am. But it wasn't bad enough to keep from sleeping, if we decided not to join them. Great hostel! Definitely recommend.

Autumn and Abe
Asquaredadventures.com

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Florence, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Iquique Travel to spend a couple of days of work desconectndo.
Anybody do a backup through the official website of Hosteling and booked a double room with private bathroom.
Travel overnight bus from Atacama and reaches about 08 in the morning.

feedback,

I reached the hotel, I went to reception and as expected the room was not ready, normal and logical.
Ask for a reservation to the person who was in reception, primermente not find it .. submit the voucher and finally found it.
I commented that there was no provision of the type of room I Elected but would be a turn which began a series of unfortunate events.
First attempt cobrrme ms for the room which I refused flatly, seeing that he would get more money told me to wait at 12 noon that would be the person who is responsible for reception.
Pedi if it was possible to have a coffee (08:00 am) to which he refused telling me no, embarrassing.

12:00 h, I return from a walk around town and have a coffee in the reception and someone else had already approached me to ask about my reservation.
Reintroduced the voucher and tells me there is a double booked.
I try and talk to me that this doi drunk.
Alli begins an incredible hesitate!, The reservation does not respect me, treat me like an idiot, and at the time of surrendering my document.
Upon surrender my Chilean identity began a series of racist abuse.
I handed the identification and textual phrase is Spanish there see if we are returning to colonize .. the Spaniards again ..... and continued a little longer such comments.
Try by all means to avoid the situation and went because besides the room was all by not listing at 12 as I said teammate instead pasron me that after 14 h ..

I went to the beach, I retraced ls 15:30 and just handed me the keys to the room, went up, l room was dirty, the broken window, the bathroom and shower were not only shared but while sitting on the toilet you you can shower ....
Cleaning nonexistent.
No towels, the rent, but put it on the web are included.
They rent towels ls that other guests have left.
And all for about 20.000Clp night about 50 euros.

I would tell them to reflect on their premises, they treat customers and even a backpackers that everyone has the right to be treated like a human being and to clean some ..
And although customers is young people should not take advantage

Never more i come ....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The hostel is alright, it is nothing special. Lots of beds packed into smallish areas and the fact that people party isn't a reason to mark the place down. There were good things and bad things about the place.

Pros.
- Really good location. Right on the beach.
- Has a little look out which I used to check the surf. Great
- A good communal kitchen/lounge area. The kitchen was pretty well stocked.
- Ping pong table

Cons.
- Toilets and showers are combined in one cubicle. Once someone has a shower in their it gets wet and then people walk through it to the toilet and then it just gets muddy. It is pretty average.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The hostel is quite nice (good atmosphere, nice rooms, breakfast is fine, kitchen ok, location good), but the staff is terrible. First we had this e-mail contact (read from below to above):

ok hein

by the way this is claudia i work in the afternoon i already made your reservation in a double w/private bathroom

im sorry for the misunderstanding
looking forward to seeing you tomorrow
claudia

Hi Carla,

I'm quite surprised by your way of working. We made the reservation yesterday, you confirmed it (see the e-mails below) and now you've already changed it two times. We already have our bus tickets, so we can't cancel the booking in Iquique. But we booked the double room for $21.000, as you said. We really want to go to your hostel, but you've been quite strange to us, and that's dissapointing for us.

So, WE BOOK THE DOUBLE ROOM. We now want to be really sure about the booking, so please confirm it and don't change it anymore.

Thanks and we like to hear from u.

Hein and Pim

hello

the double room is booked already, so i just have a double with private bathroom (25.000 per night) available

let me know if you want to book that room now

kind regards

claudia

I still want the reservation, although we're a bit dissapointed about the first night. But ok, can happen. The second and third night are in a double room? How late can we enter the double room at the second day? Gracias, ciao!

Hi!

Sorry, but it's the only room availably for these night, we have reservation for the web side and there pay for the room, that it's the reason for you can't stay the first night in a twin room.

Let me know if you still want to do a reservation o cancel.

regards

Hola!

I thought we made a reservation for a double room for two nights. I haven't heard anything about a dorm... We would really like to come, but what's the plan at this moment? Do we really have to stay the first night in a dorm?

Greets,

Pim and Hein

Hi!

Yes, you can but the first night you have to stay in a shared room, and the second days change to the other room.

Regards
Carla

Thanks! Can we already say we want to stay for 3 nights instead of 2 nights? Gracias!

Ok, the reservation is ready.!

See you soon!

Best Regards
Carla

Oke! Perfecto!! We would like to have the room, from the 29th for 2 nights. We arrive at 22/23pm. Can you confirm our booking?

Hein y Pim

Hi!

Is together $21.000, and the room is just for you.

regards

Hola!

Thanks for your e-mail. So we get a private room for $21.000. Is that together or $21.000 each?

And we have that room only for the two of us?

Hein & Pim

HI!

For these days we justa have double room with private bathroom $25.000 pr nigth, or Triple room $27.000, but you can pay the double price $21.000

let me know if you want made a reservation.

Regards

Hola!

We would like to make a reservation in your hostel for a double room. How much will that be? We arrive the 29th around 22/23 pm. Do we need to take a taxi or do you offer to pick us up from the bus terminal?

We would like to stay for two nights, but I think we will stay a bit longer, but we will let you know then.

We would like to hear from you soon!

Adios,
Hein en Pim (Holanda)

Well, ok, can happen, but it isn't nice at all. Then we arrived and the staff wasn't sorry at all, they did like it was our mistake. We had to stay in a really expensive room, while we hadn't booked it...

This hostel is in GetSouth, but they said to us that we only got the 10% discount for the first night. Normally that's written in the GetSouth, but not at this hostel... The staff said to us that people never moaned about it and did like it was our mistake again.

The staff is just not friendly.

I wouldn't recommend the hostel because of the horrible staff.

Room Tip: Rooms at the garden side are quite noisy till 1 in the night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Backpacker's Hostel Iquique? Share your experiences!