“An excellent dining experience” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chilean
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Ottawa, Canada
“An excellent dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

OK, I drink wine - quite a lot of wine, and I had one of the best bottles of Carmenere I have ever had, in this restaurant. Sebastian, the sommelier, recommended it as a good, mid priced wine and it did not disappoint (see photo if it uploads lol). I had the mixed suasages for starters, made on the premises and absolutely delicious. Served with bread and salsa - again really good.

Although this restaurant seems to specialize in beef (from Hereford to Wagyu), they also have deer, ostrich, boar and rabbit on the menu. However, I chose the BBQ lamb, which they only do on Fridays and Saturdays. I ordered the leg of lamb and was warned that it was quite a large portion. When this honking big piece of lamb (see photo) was placed in front of me, I knew I was in for a treat. I also had the "Big Smurf" as a side dish - a lovely mix of roast potatoes, mushrooms and onion.

Needless to say I couldnt finish it all, but it meant I could pick out the most succulent bits - you could order this for two and be well fed. The seasoning on the lamb was perfect; lamb itself a little overdone but very tasty (i'm sure you could order a medim rare and get it).

Normally, you need to make reservations, but I turned up on spec, was told it would be about a 20 minute wait at the bar, and was seated after 5 minutes. Really helpful and attentive staff, many of whom speak English. Good prices for a great meal. English menus and extensive wine list - you can even trot down to the wine cellar and pick out which bottle you want.

I usually like to ring the changes when I'm in a town for any length of time (here for a week), but I'm definitely going back to Mu another 2 or 3 times to try some of the other meals. A restaurant of this quality is a very pleasant surprise anywher you go. Thoroughly recommended. www.muantofagastagrill.cl

• Visited June 2013