“staff trying its best... but not always succeeding” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Antofagasta

Save Saved
You added Ibis Antofagasta to your Saves list
Ibis Antofagasta
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Jose Miguel Carrera 1627, Antofagasta 1240000, Chile   |
Ranked #5 of 22 hotels in Antofagasta
Tampere, Finland
“staff trying its best... but not always succeeding”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Picked this hotel particularly because it belongs to an international chain and claims to have multilingual staff, business center etc. - we needed to organize a few things during our stay in Antofagasta, so paying a bit extra (compared to other local hotels) for all of that sounded like a good deal.

The only English-speaking person I met was during the evening check-in. However, the whole procedure took forever - we were the only people checking in at that moment, but we must have spent over 20 minutes at the reception, filling in forms, waiting for the passports to be copied and putting effort into *convincing* the guy that yes, our internet reservation is indeed prepaid... to which his answer was "I seriously doubt it." We got the keys in the end, but I had to go back to the reception with my laptop and forward the email confirmation... only to hear that he cannot check it now, because he does not have access to the right computer... At 11 PM, after an exhausting day, one really needs to take a few deep breaths in order not to start yelling.

In the morning, nobody spoke any English at all - I needed to print 2 forms and managed to explain that the girl at the reception. The "business center" turned out to be the staff's office and similar pattern as in the evening occurred: sending an email with the form, only to learn after 10 minutes that their computer blocked all attachments. Luckily, she tried another computer and did some tricks... and I did get my 2 pages printed... all in all, it took about 30 minutes.

To be fair - this was hardly the receptionist's fault, the hotel simply does not have a business center. The girl perhaps did what she could - and she was much more efficient e.g. in arranging a taxi to Paranal, the observatory some 120 kms south of Antofagasta - we got a very reasonable price and the car was ready on time, exactly as agreed.

To sum up: the hotel itself is quite nice, in a good location... and the staff is really trying its best - but "trying" does not equal "succeeding". However, if you have enough patience, things should eventually work out...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
LucianoMarquardt, General Manager at Ibis Antofagasta, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Sir:
Firstly, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time on telling us about your experience at our Hotel. It is very important for us knowing your opinion since it will be allow us to serve our guests better in the future.
I am deeply sorry you had to go through some of the situations you described, and for that I would like to apologize and you may rest assured that we are currently training our front desk attendants in order to avoid these sort of things to happen again in the future.
We really hope to receive you on your next visit to Antofagasta, and do not hesitate to contact me when that comes.
Kindly

222 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco, California, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

If you have stayed at an Ibis somewhere else in the world, then you know what you will get when you stay at the Antofagasta location: small rooms, but fairly clean, in a central location. It is fine for a 1-2 day stay.

Antofagasta is a booming mining town and accommodation is on the expensive side, so the Ibis is a good value. My only complaint was that our toilet was leaking and didn't smell nice. Breakfast was below average, but the locals normally don't eat breakfast anyway.

We would stay at this hotel again if we were to come back to Antofagasta.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Brasilia, DF
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Staff was not friendly at anytime, everytime that I want to go to my my room, people from the desk asked me if I was at the hotel. The free wi fi internet doew not work neither in the room, neither at reception.

Localization and cleaning was ok.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Front desk... Although I had a reservation, the front desk gave me a price about 10%higher than I was quoted... Luckily I caught it and showed the girl my quoted price and immediately corrected the "error". Although understaffed, she was fairly fast and courteous.

Rooms... Modern, small, efficient, comfortable and very clean.

Restaurant.... Modern, clean, but the staff appeared to be untrained. To have a simple meal took over an hour to receive. The menu is very limited but the food was okay.

My main complaint would be the fact that was told that I would have an ocean view... 95% of my view were other buildings and way in the distance I could see some water!

For short term business travelers, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Hotel bright and cheery with all the amenities that are necessary for a short business trip. Staff seems to march to it's own drummer but by local standards all was perfect. Food, breakfast and service very good. All seemed to be helpful. But remember you are in a small town in Northern Chile so don't over expect. Great for a few days.

Room Tip: They all appeared OK to me
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Petit Lancy, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The hotel offers the usual "Ibis experience". It is well located and clean. Breakfast is correct and more than enough.
Anyway, be very careful when checking in and out. It seems that the staff is not very well training and they try to multitasking (answering the phone at the same time they do your check in) and the results are not good.
When I checked in I clearly stated that I was a foreigner, so I was exempted of VAT. They charged my credit card in USD and made a photocopy of my passport and the inmigration document.
At check out, the lady (that was the same that did the check in) started saying that I have to pay some thousand pesos, because I did not pay in USD. When I showed her the credit card payment slip she started typing furiously and telling me that staff were not prepared because the check in was not well done. When I said that it was her who did it, she changed and started saying that it was a small mistake. Long story short, the hotel charged me more at check in so finally they have to reimbourse some money and it took a week.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Ibis Antofagasta? Share your experiences!