“Excellent Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Siem Reap Hostel

and 1 more site!
You added The Siem Reap Hostel to your Saves list
The Siem Reap Hostel
7 Makara Street | Cnr of Wat Bo Road and Angkor High School Road, Siem Reap, Cambodia   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Excellent Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is a really great hostel -- the pool is nice, the staff welcoming and helpful, the dorms immaculate, air-conditioned and quiet. Can you find cheaper dorms in Siem Reap? Yes, but it's really worth a few extra bucks to stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Driess_and_Gus, Manager at The Siem Reap Hostel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thanks so much for saying -it's exactly what we are aiming at. We reckon it's pretty excellent bang for your buck too!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Really great hostel- good food, good atmosphere, very kind staff, good location!! Can't complain at all! Fully booked mostly so make sure u book in advance to be sure :) I was due to have a single room but work was being done on it so they put me in a 3 bed room with balcony and view of the sunset- can't complain! :) they book everything for u and have some very kind tuk tuk drivers with good rates so book everything through them

Siem Reap, Takev, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed in the hostel for 3 months for volunteering in Cambodia. The hostel was my home and i'm so happy about it ! The staff is very nice and speak Englisch very well, i never had troubles with communication. The managers are almost always present and will definitly help you if you have a problem. I stayed in a dorm and it was very good. The shower and toilet are seperated and the room gets cleaned everyday. In the evening you can sit at the bar where there is a good atmosphere. If you wanna have a good trip in Siem reap which is not expensive then the siem reap hostel is perfect.It has the backpacker sphere that hostels need :)

Room Tip: The dorms are cheap and not to big. Only six people. They are cleaned everyday and pretty luxurous f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Been traveling on a budget through Thailand and Cambodia for the past month, and this was my favorite hostel that we've stayed at so far, and probably one of the best I've ever stayed in. Amazing staff, amazing happy hour, amazing pool. $6 a night?! Yes please.

Cagayan de Oro, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

The free pick up from the airport was great and reliable. Was a bit concerned at first having been used to arranging tours with traveling agencies but choosing them for my first try at backpacking was a great experience.

Had a little problem with my booking at first as there were 2 tuktuk drivers that came for me even when I already declined my first inquiry for the private room. I was traveling with 2 other persons so my decisions were mostly based on what the group wanted and since they chose to go with the dorm room I have to go with that as well. Staff weren't really good with English so I had to insist that I already declined my booking, even to the extent of showing them my email replies as the mail i sent on March was more of just an inquiry as to whether there were rooms available and my decline was like 2 weeks beforw my arrival on end april. Maybe it would be great if they use viber, watsapp or all the other messaging apps for more real time communication. I kinda felt sorry that they've lost profit on a room but it was no longer my fault.

Anyway stay was great, I love the pool, the balconies, I hate the stairs but it was like a training to the steep stairs at the temples.

I love our tuktuk driver, he was very friendly, courteous and respectful. Try to see if you can request/book for Mr. So Phara. You can viber him +855 12374-227 his english is a work in progress but he is really very pleasant and he kids around and makes jokes and is very willing to go the extra mile for you. He stopped by some vendors selling the exotic bugs and insects coz he knew we wanted to try them.Really great experience

• Stayed April 2013
Driess_and_Gus, Manager at The Siem Reap Hostel, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Hi and thanks for the great review. Glad you first experience backpacking with us was so good. The Hostel operates in the main to give young Cambodians a chance to enter into careers in Hospitality and English is a language they learn in High School. In my understanding there can't be 2 languages so different: Interesting fact - written Khmer has 33 consonants and 39 vowel sounds! Our staff do an excellent job considering I think and I would recommend all visitors to Cambodia be prepared to take a little more time communicating. It's part of the fun and getting to know the wonderful people who live here can be so rewarding. But sometimes things do get lost in translation and we don't mind covering for that.
All the Hostel tuk tuk drivers do their best to give our guests a great time - they rely on us and we rely on them. Other places in town may charge their drivers commission but we prefer the drivers and their families get the full benefit of their efforts - it's why there is a waiting list to drive for the Hostel.
Enjoy the rest of your travels. G and D, Management
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The Siem Reap Hostel rates itself as a "five-shoe hostel," but i would've given them six, seven, even ten! I traveled with four other friends so we naturally chose to stay in a dorm-type room so that we could be together in one room. The dorm room we stayed in had six beds, so we were rooming with one other person (we didn't mind at all! it's a great way to meet people). We booked three or four months in advance, and since it's quite a popular hostel it would be a good idea for you book early as well. The location was good, just a few minutes' walk away from the Old Market, Pub Street, the Night Market, etc.

The room had air conditioning, lockers for luggage, free wifi, many electrical outlets (so you and your friends wouldn't need to fight over who gets to charge their devices first!), basically everything that a backpacker would need. Towels are available for rent if you didn't bring your own.There's a pool, a foosball table, a bar, and many other facilities that made us wish we were staying there longer so we could enjoy them.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They helped us get tuktuks for our day temple tour, as well as arranging for a cab to pick us up as early as 5 am to get us to Poipet (the border of Cambodia and Bangkok). They even let us leave our luggage in the hostel even after we checked out, so we can roam around freely while we were waiting for our flight home.

Would recommend to anyone, and if we ever find our way back in Siem Reap, we know exactly where we'd want to stay. :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Siem Reap Hostel was a great place to stay. They have a swimming pool which is perfect after a long hot day at Angkor Wat. They also have a pool table and a fussball table, if you want some more fun ha-ha. The location is good and only a 10 minute walk to all the main restaurants and cafes.

Room Tip: I stayed in the dorms on the 1st floor, which were good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Siem Reap Hostel? Share your experiences!