“My Big Regret” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sala Bai

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Siem Reap
Sala Bai
You added Sala Bai to your Saves list
Sala Bai, 155 Phoum Tapoul, Siem Reap, Cambodia   |
Ranked #72 of 230 Hotels in Siem Reap
Sydney, Australia
“My Big Regret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed at the Sala Bai in March this year. What is my single BIG REGRET? It is that I'm returning to Siem Reap in September and that's during the time the Sala Bai is closed to the public while they start a new student intake. I will be forced to stay somewhere OTHER than this wonderful place. Very disappointed! Any other time of the year - this is where I would stay over and over again. Marvelous management and teaching staff, and the students are outstanding. Just delightful. Nothing is too hard when it comes to looking after the guest. Rooms - great value, clean and comfortable. Food - five star quality. Front office students - easily sort out your activities around Siem Reap. Ok, the students sometimes don't understand, or bring entrees and mains out in the wrong order - but who cares! It is all part of the experience.

At the Sala Bai you will have a wonderful, comfortable stay, surrounded by infectious and enthusiastic young Khmers. Perfect experience and one I don't hesitate to recommend HIGHLY.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Enjoyed 5 nights in the suite. Quiet and secure location, short walk to main streets. housekeeping immaculate including a turndown service as well. Great cause and great students. You get to enjoy the daily operation of the school, my favourite was coming down for breakfast and then watching the students with flag and national anthem followed by a short demonstration class.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed at Sala Bai for 9 perfect days. I visited two rooms and both were sparklingly clean. On my first day, I got my laundry done for the very same day. Check-in was warm and efficient; one of the students helped me to bring my bags to my room. The hotel itself is very quiet because it's not directly on the main road and it is at walking distance from PubStreet and all kind of restaurants. Breakfast is delicious. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it for lunch but I met a couple of guests that told me that it was amazing.
The most amazing thing about this Hotel is the quality of the student staffs: always helpful and smiling, always very happy to interact with guests and assist them. You will feel like you’re staying in a 5-stars hotel except that the numerous smiles and the quality of service that you will receive will both be genuine.
Even if you traveled a lot in your life, I guarantee you that your stay at Sala Bai is one that you will never forget. These kids are amazing.
One of the Tuk-Tuk driver who works with the school, Mr. Samnang, was wonderful, driving me carefully to Angkor temples and more remote areas, always smiling and very knowledgeable about history and culture.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

FRANCE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Sala Bai has been one of my best experiences in Cambodia. Students and staff were very smily and helpful and the suite was a nice place to rest for my daughter and I. I spent nearly 10 days there in 2 stays and was never disappointed. As said by other travellers, don't miss it. It helps poor family to increase their income and youth to have a better future...last but not least cocktails and food are elegant and tasteful....

Room Tip: ask for the suite
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We spent 1 night and were pleased but the number of smiles and help we received from the student staffs. They were lot of attention to us and our room. They let us having a shower after checking out! Walking distance from the city center.
Can rent bike nearbye. Ask for the suite! They can pick you up from the airport , chose the tuk tuk to enjoy the view!

• Stayed July 2013
Stroud, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Sala Bai is amazing. The guest house is actually a non profit organisation set up to train young Khmers from poor backgrounds to become professionals in the hotel and restaurant trade. Currently 100 students a year pass thro Sala Bai, all of whom are guaranteed employment at the end of their training.

Ok that's the worthy bit - even if it wasn't such a 'good' organisation Sala Bai is probably one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. It's not posh in the 'I need every possible luxury' sort of way, but the staff are keen, friendly and always very engaging. The breakfast is to die for (fruit salad par excellence!) and we had lunch which was completely superb - a fusion of Khmer and French.

All in all if you're in Siem Reap and you don't stay at Sala Bai you are missing out - seriously!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I spend 4 perfect days. Service and room were great. Restaurant is not expensive and amazing. And i help sala bai school in the same time so what could be better? Thanks for mao who helped me so much.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Sala Bai? Share your experiences!