“Would stay there again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Viroth's Hotel

You added Viroth's Hotel to your Saves list
Viroth's Hotel
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   #14, Street 23 | Wat Bo Village, Siem Reap 0000, Cambodia   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #13 of 382 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Would stay there again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

We booked 3 nights at Viroth's directly at the hotel's website for US$60 per night. We also booked airport pick up which worked out well and was hassle free.

Our room was very nice - clean, comfortable and modern. Only good for couples though as there is no wall/doors separating the bathroom and shower with the bed area. We were in Room 1 on the groundfloor. I would recommend, if you had the choice, to choose a room on either the other floors as we could hear what was going on the lobby. Our room was directly behind the front desk. From memory, rooms 1, 2 and 3 are on the ground floor.

The location was good. Close to restaurants and old market area.

The staff were lovely and helpful. It was very convenient as we could organise our transport/guide to the temple and transport to Phnom Penh through the front desk who speak English well.

Breakfast was served on the breezy top floor terrace - enjoyed that.

• Liked — Breakfast on breezy rooftop
  • Disliked — Hearing noise from the lobby from room on ground floor
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Finnish first
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

LOCATION: Good, not great. On a narrow street that has no charm. Construction is directly across the street (starts at 8AM) and doesn’t look to be done for quite a while. It is only a 5 minute walk to town (with all the restaurants) or a 2 minute, $1 tuk tuk ride. Close to the temples by tuk tuk.

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: Taxi should cost around $5 from the airport. Can take tuk tuks or motorcycle for less money.

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Bed is too hard and the linens were average. Pillows were foam and medium thickness. There is a fitted sheet but no loose sheet on top, just a somewhat uncomfortable (and a little scratchy) comforter. Not impressed.

LIGHTING: Ok in the bedroom, but too dark in the bathroom. Hard to see in the mirror due to lack of lighting.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Contemporary and very stylish and nice. Water pressure is very good with a rain shower. The temperature would change from hot to cold at least every second (not the case at our other hotels in Cambodia).

TOILETRIES: Bring your own. Wall mounted shampoo dispenser and a cheap bar of soap.

CLEANLINESS: The entire hotel including bedroom and bathroom is spotless.

A/C: Would get the room cool quickly and quietly. Air blows on face while sleeping. There is also a fan in the room with 2 speeds; extremely fast and even faster.

CLOSET SPACE: Ok for one person to unpack all items but not enough for 2 people. Lots of shelf space just lack of space to hang clothes.

STYLE OF ROOM: Very contemporary. Looks better than the website. Similar to something you would find in the “hip hotels” book. Don’t like that there is no Do Not Disturb sign available but loved the look of the room.

QUIET / MORNING LIGHT: Never heard footsteps above, but the construction is across the street and the street is very narrow so it’s very close. Probably a good idea to get a room more towards the back of the hotel. Curtains block about 70% of the morning light. Would have preferred it darker in the morning, but still dark enough that we weren’t woken up by the sun.

FOOD: Breakfast was good with limited options. Didn’t venture out beyond cereal, yogurt and bread. Several types of fruit juices with cooked eggs as other options.

TV/INTERNET: New TV (not flat screen). Perhaps a bit on the small side for the room, but adequate. Must be a hundred channels, may in English. Fast wireless internet is available in our room but we could only use after 7PM since reception would use it during the day. I don’t think there is a computer available at the hotel for internet (tons of places in town for $.75/hour).

SERVICE: Only serviced used was check-in and breakfast which was excellent!

COMMON AREA: Very nice, but small. Pool is inviting but just a tad on the small side. A little awkward to go in since it’s directly in front of the lobby area and kind of cramped. Very nice to look at though.

ROOM & CITY TIPS: Our lower floor room could be the best room since it has a balcony with chairs and tables. However, it is closest to the construction noise and near the pool (could possibly hear noise from guests). There is little privacy in this room since the construction people could look into our bedroom when the curtains are open. Also, the shower has a window with hanging strings that act as a curtain (completely see-through) in which I made eye contact with the gardener outside, terrible. Also there is a balcony from the building next door that could peek in as well. There is a strange desk in the room that may not be too conducive to spending a lot of time using it if you are here on business. I strongly encourage you to visit the Shinta Mani Hotel (I stayed there and you can see my review as well) and look into their charity programs. For $90 (plus $30 transportation), you can donate a water well to a village (that you can visit) that will provide clean water for approximately 5 families. Not only is this an educational opportunity to learn about the life of local people but it is really eye opening and the people are really need it. This hotel to me is all about it being very nice to look at but not very functional or all that comfortable. But at US$60, it’s difficult to complain. It’s an amazing hotel for that price and I recommend it as a result. Perhaps stay here and with the money you save, you can donate a well, we did!

Stayed December 2007
Seoul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

I recently stayed at Viroth's Hotel, and it was once of the most enjoyable stays I've ever enjoyed at a hotel. It is perfectly located in a quiet area near the old market, the center of Siem Reap. The hotel is very funky and beautifully designed. The anticipation of the roof top breakfast with those amazing croissants was the only reason to persuade myself not to stay in bed. The staff were so helpful and attentive and nothing was a bother for them - even making sure the waterfall was on whenever we made it back from the temples to rejuvenate in that beautiful pool. I really had a wonderful stay, and I'll recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Liked — funky design
  • Disliked — english level of staffs
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
M'sia - KL/PG
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

I stayed at 2 different hotels during my stay recently (oct 2007). My first hotel was Steung. Viroth was my second. Overall the hotel is OK. Room was clean and staff was friendly. There is an ongoing construction just across the road. This causes some dust and noise. Construction is suppose to stop at 5pm

As a comparison to Steung, I felt that Viroth excelled in providing an experience to staying in a modern design hotel. Rooms were done up in a near minimalist theme. I was there with my parents who are in their 50s. I believe Viroth is suitable for guest who are of a younger age set. For travellers like my parents, there a few things which would have made their stay better.

1.My mom commented that she would have preferred a dressing table instead of sitting on the bed when applying makeup
2.There were no tea/coffee making facility. My dad loves to make chinese tea which needed fresh hot water. unfortunately there were no kettle around. The staff however were kind enough to provide hot water to us when we requested
3.There just wasnt any table around to put our stuff. We had to leave our luggage on the floor which is an inconvinient to the elderly.
4.There isnt any fridge in the room. We has to keep our drink in the mini frige at the reception.
5.For my room, I have to ask for the compliment bottled water from the reception. The cleaner always forgets to put new bottles out for me. after a day.... i just dont bother asking.
6.After a hard day of walking among the stones and jungle, it would be great if there was a tub to soak oursleves in.

On overall... I would recommend this place to my younger friends and travellers who prefers simple modern design.

• Liked — nice design
  • Disliked — minimalist in facilities
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

I absolutely had no regrets booking and staying at this hotel. I had a hunch that staying in this hotel would be fabulous but when I got there it was not just fabulous but it was magnificent. Rooms were so tidy that you would even think twice untidying them. The staff members were very efficient, accommodating and very courteous. Did I mention that service was excellent? They made sure that my stay would be a memorable one. They succeeded on that.

There are only seven rooms in this hotel so service is personalized. Even the manager was friendly and made sure that I was having a good time.

Location is amazing. It's situated in a quiet area where other small hotels are. Would you complain waking up to lounge music and indigenous sounds?

Shopping is about a 10-minute walk from the hotel or you can ride the tuktuk for about USD1 per person. I assure you, you would enjoy walking from the hotel to the old market and the night spots.

One drawback is that the bathroom has no door or even a curtain so it's basically "connected" to the bedroom. The toilet has a door though.

I would definitely book this hotel again when I visit Siem Reap.

• Liked — clean rooms and excellent service
  • Disliked — open bathrooms
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2007

Having just spent two weeks in the Ritz Carlton while working in Singapore, I really thought I'd find it hard to adjust to accomodation in Cambodia. My friends were meeting me in Singapore when I finished work to begin our 3 week adventure in Cambodia and Vietnam. We were very unorganised and the booking was left to me. On arrival in Viroth's, I got a pat on the back for choosing so well. I googled Asia hotels and went through pictures of a no. of middle priced hotels. Viroth's jumped out from the others within that price range and the picture does not even do any justice. There are alot of very reasonably priced 5 star hotels too located on the airport road however we only had 4 nights to spend there and wanted to make sure we were centrally located. Viroths was ideally located just off the main road beside the river and a 5 minute stroll from the main part of town. I emailed Viroth's to check availability and Narong, the hotel manager (I presume), was very professional and wrote back almost immediately. He was so friendly and to save hassle we asked if he could arrange collection at the airport. He personally collected us (at a small price as expected) and made us feel very comfortable and at home straight away. The hotel is owned by a French man Fabien Martial who also welcomed us and spoke with us but was not at all intrusive, just letting us know if we needed anything to make our stay more comfortable, not to hesitate to ask. It was spotless clean and the decor was certainly modern and very comfortable. The hotel is very homely with a small no of rooms and a small pool and the service was very good. Lying by the pool was very tranquil and peaceful, ideal for chilling out before popping into the busy little town of Siem Reap or after sunset at the temples. Breakfast was lovely too and all the staff are so friendly. Between us we only paid approx $80 per night which was excellent value. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. We also had a brilliant English speaking tuk tuk driver which certainly added to the wonderful experience we had in Siem Reap. We left his details with Viroths as having had other drivers, we didn't let go of him once we found him and used him for the remainder of the holiday. His name is Rak (full name Bun Rak Hem) His email is hembunrak@yahoo.com, I'd highly recommend him as he's so informative and so nice. Overall, my experience in Viroth's was much more personable and enjoyable than that in the Ritz. Enjoy.

Stayed September 2007
Tourrettes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2007

I had the pleasure to stay in this wonderful hotel last August, for 4 nights. A very new place opened 6 months ago, right in town, with only 7 rooms and an amazing design ... Staff was friendly and very helpful. They organised our tour to the temples very well and recommended good places to go out. Great service. Rooms are quite large and so trendy, with beautiful lighting and nice handicrafts. Superb open bathroom with huge shower. Great swimming pool among trees with waterfall. Not to be missed, a spa and a jacuzzi on the top floor, offering good massages and reasonnable prices . Cool ambience with lounge music played everywhere in the hotel. I highly recommend this place. Very unique !

• Liked — hotel's refined design, location, welcome, peacefulness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Viroth's Hotel? Share your experiences!